Janie's Got a Gun

CHAPTER FOUR

CHAPTER FOUR:
A world with no distractions
I still couldn't believe what she had gone through, it was so sad. I couldn’t get over what had happened to her. Suddenly, Billie broke my train of thought.
"Don't think too hard melon head- or your head will explode."
"It's true," added Joey, "it's happened.
"And if you don't think really quickly and run away right now you're not gonna be the only one with an exploded head."
Joey stood there and egged me on, "come on then- come and get me."
"Don't test me," I said, chasing Joey down the hall and up the stairs until I caught him in a bear hug and tickled him.
"STOP IT!" he cried, "OR- I'LL...PEE!" Instantly I stopped tickling him, I was in no position to risk that again. I remembered back to the book mobile days; me and Billie were having a tickle fight and he threatened he was going to pee. I didn’t believe him of course, but to my discretion- well let’s just say several cups of coffee and well- you see where I’m going with this.

-Janie’s P.O.V-
I got out of the shower and wrapped my towel around myself; shower time and bed time were always my thinking time for some reason. I think it was the fact I was on my own and i was able to be in a world with no distractions. Wouldn’t that be nice? A world with no distractions?
“Janie,” Hmm, just what i thought, not possible. “Its Adie, I brought you some clothes.”
“Thanks, you can come in, as long as Tre’s not with you.” I heard Tre sigh and leave. He cracked me up.
“They should fit,” She dropped down these gorgeous rainbow pyjamas in front of me
“Ok thanks. Where’d you get these pyjamas from? They’re awesome.”
“Billie bought them for me a while ago. They are pretty cool.”
Once dressed, and we had dinner; it was late- Tre took me to the room i’d be sleeping in.
“Night Tre,”
“Night,” he closed the door and left.
Despite being really tired, I was still doing that thinking thing. Several thoughts flooded my mind; how long was I going to be here for? Can I trust these people? What would I have done if Tre hadn’t found me? Would I still be alive? Would I still be alive if i hadn’t left? And what the hell had i done to make dad so mad?
I knew I couldn’t run forever if the police found out.

When I woke up the next day, I momentarily forgot where I was and the day before felt like a dream. But i wondered to myself whether it was a dream. Then i opened my eyes and looked at my surroundings, no it wasn’t a dream.
That day Adie took me out shopping to get some more clothes. I felt bad that she was welcoming me into her home let alone buying me clothes. She hardly knew me. But then again, she wouldn’t have offered if she minded.
“So Janie, anything in particular you like to do? Like sport or music or art or something?”
“Well; I can play guitar a little, and i like to write songs and stories. Sport- not my forte.”
“Fair enough. You should jam with Billie and the guys later.”
“Yeah, love to.”
When Adie and I got back from shopping I showed off my new clothes. I also made dinner that night. It was the least I could do; besides i did make a pretty delicious lasagne.

-Tre’s P.O.V-
It was Janie’s second night in the house and we invited Mike over for dinner so he and Janie could meet. Word was in that Janie was making lasagne. I loved lasagne- in fact I had pictures; me and lasagne, me and lasagne in the pool and even me and well- you get the picture. Pardon the pun.
Anyway, I went into the kitchen to give Janie some company.
“Hey Janie,”
“Oh hi Tre,”
“Just came in to give you company.”
“Thanks,”
“So... do you know how long you’re staying?
“I’m not sure, but not too long; I would hate to overstay my welcome.”
“Overstay your welcome?” Billie interrupted, “No such thing in this house.”
Janie just gave a smile and Billie chucked me a beer.
“Thanks Billie- Janie do you drink?”
“Yeah occasionally, I don’t get out much.”
“Well we’ll have to take you to Gilman one night.”
“Gilman? Oh I love it there, I haven’t been in ages. As a matter of fact- that’s where I recognise you guys from! Geez, I can’t believe I forgot! I love you guys.”
“Oh cool. Hey, when you’re done- come out and have a drink with us.”
“Okay- two seconds and I’ll be out.”
I walked outside with Janie and ‘accidently’ brushed my hand against hers, she looked up at me and i blushed. Did I like her? No; surely not. I pulled out a chair and placed it between Billie and I.

-Janie’s p.o.v-
Tre still puzzled me; he was like a little preschooler in a way; always this bubbly look on his face and he had copious amounts of energy.
A few hours after dinner, everyone went to bed. I stayed up and went outside- it was a warm night and the pool was heated so I decided to make use of my new swimmers and jump in. I did a few laps then floated around on the blow up chair and looked at the sky; I spun around in circles for at least five minutes.
“Oh hey Tre,” I said looking up- he had tears in his eyes. I asked him, “Are you alright?”
“Yeah- just can’t sleep,” he wiped his face.
“Do you want to talk?”
“Nah- I think I’ll be okay. Nightmares just get the best of me sometimes.”
“You and I have that in common.” Tre rolled up the legs on his pants and dipped his feet in the pool. I paddled over to join him.
“Not that I’m pushing, but if you want to talk; I’m here. I won’t judge.”
“Okay thanks, hey- want to watch a movie?”
“Yeah sure- I’ll just dry off.”
With my towel around me, I made my way inside. We decided to watch Wedding Crashers. I put the DVD in and Tre got the Doritos. About ten minutes through the movie our hand touched in the Doritos. (Clichéd I know. But it happened). Tre just looked at me and blushed again.
“Sorry...” he said.
“Don’t worry about it.”
It took hardly a moment and i grabbed his hand again, on purpose. I turned off the TV and looked at Tre. He had this goofy look upon his face. I raised my hand and put it on his face and kissed him. At first he hesitated but then he had me in a complete lip lock. Tre stopped and looked at me, he was shaking.
“Are you nervous?” i asked him, knowing what the answer was.
“Just kind of a lot.”
“Don’t be.”
“Would you come to my room and keep me company tonight?”
I nodded and followed. We got in and he put a CD on. We lay there, next to each other for hours with hardly a worry in the world between us. Slowly we fell asleep.

The next morning, when the sun came up we were sleeping in and sunk inside our blankets, sprawled across the bed and we were dreaming. I woke up and i wanted to keep it all going this delicate balance. I thought back to the night before. It was hard to believe I fell asleep with not a worry in the world; it was like I had maybe- fallen for Tre. I stared up at the ceiling, still in Tre’s arms. For the first time in a long time I felt safer than ever.
After about ten minutes Tre woke up, but still had his eyes closed. As soon as he opened them he gave me a smile like he was relieved.
“Good morning.”
“Morning Tre.”
We stared into each other’s eyes. It was definitely safe to say I was lost in the moment.