The Rescue

Sinking into Shadows

He had dropped off Joey and Jakob at his mom's and now he was waiting for Mike and Tré. He stared at the clock. Time seemed to somehow go by fast and slow. Slow because he wanted to see Adrienne again; fast because he was reluctant to do what was expected of him and what was necessary.

Black, solid black kept filling his vision and he would have to blink it away.

10:28 P.M. Two minutes. The lights flickered. When it was dark, it felt like he was being pulled somewhere.

The doorbell rang and the lights stopped flickering. When he was walking downstairs his eyes got clouded with darkness again and he crashed into the door. He swore, rubbing his forehead. He had bumped his head, but now he could see.

Billie thought he heard Tré snickering outside. He opened the door and saw that he was right.

"What kind of dork do you have to be to run into a door?" Tré teased.

"I just- never mind, it's not important," Billie said hurriedly. He opened the door, beckoning for his two perplexed friends to follow him into his room. The blinds were shut and light was off so the only light came from the hallway. Even the alarm clock was unplugged so the digital numbers weren't shining.

Billie hung back, not entering the room.

"Are you going to tell us what you want us to do?" Mike asked, stopping in the doorway along with Tré.

"Just go in there. We're going to have to hold hands with me in the middle. But first I need to ask you something." Billie paused, checking his friend's facial expressions. He couldn't tell what Mike was thinking but he could tell Tré wasn't taking him seriously. "If Adie was still alive and had been kidnapped and taken to another world, would you come with me and to rescue her, risking your life?"

For a moment they were both silent and Billie feared they would say no. But then Mike replied, "Yes, I would. I would do anything for you. You've been my best friend for twenty-four years." Tré cleared his throat. "You're my best friend to, Tré. But come on Billie; please don't tell me you've lost it."

Billie was about to say something when he stopped. Instead he said, "Please just go along with it. Just trust me."

Mike and Tré looked at each other and nodded.

"Okay, we'll go along with it unless it starts getting out of hand," Mike said.

"Thank you," Billie said relieved.

"So we just gotta join hands in there with you in the middle?" Tré asked.

Billie nodded. "Yeah."

Mike and Tré went into the room and Billie followed them. As soon as he closed the door, he felt like he was sinking into the darkness. He found his band mates' hands and grabbed them.

He stopped resisting the pull of the darkness and they sank fast, into the dark. When he felt them coming back up again, he started resisting it again and shouted, "Finuar!"

There was a bright flash of light and the darkness and its pull were gone. The three men sank down to their knees since they suddenly felt weak.

All three of them look around in awe and breathed, "Wow."