The Rescue

Welcome to Ceseiph

Many pairs of eyes were on them, making them feel uncomfortable. One person stood apart from the rest, an old man that was hard to find in the folds of the robes he was wearing. He looked frail and ancient, being so skinny and pale, practically all skin and bones. His eyes seemed to be permanently squinting.

Billie stared at him somewhat angrily, blaming him for being dragged here and for him taking Adrienne away.

The old man seemed not to notice and announced, "These three are here to help us."

Billie clenched and unclenched his fists.

"Billie Joe, Tré, and Mike, if I am not mistaken," he continued.

"Yes, Saydu," Billie said as evenly as he could.

Saydu ignored his suppressed anger. "You are now in the rebel village of Nuiturf in the world of Ceseiph. You are here to rescue Adrienne, and to do that you must defeat the Evil in some way."

Tré and Mike looked at each other. Billie wasn't crazy. They were in another world and Adrienne was alive and kidnapped.

"For now I will let this all sink in and for you to get used to it here," Saydu told them, "Kamsef will show you where you will stay."

All the time he had been speaking, Mike and Tré hadn't really been paying much attention. They were too busy looking around at where they now found themselves.

There were about four dozen people surrounding them in a circle, scrutinizing their appearance. Most of them were men, but a few were women who had short hair and wore men's clothes. There were small houses stuck close together and right now they were in what appeared to be the center of the village. It wasn't a tidy village; there were weeds and tall grass growing around the houses making it look wild.

The air was fresh and the only sound came from bugs, birds, and the breeze which blew through the grass adding to the wildness. Mike half-expected a deer to jump out from behind a hut. Of course, one didn't.

Mike and Tré were brought back to reality by Billie nudging them. He pointed to a tan-skinned youth before he followed him. The teenage boy brought him to a medium-sized hut that looked to be in pretty good shape.

"This is where you will stay," Kamsef told them.

Billie nodded. "Thank you."

Kamsef left them and they were silent for a moment.

Billie turned to them. "You're not mad at me, are you?"

"We already said we wouldn't be," Mike said to him.

Billie smiled. "Thanks."

They opened the door to find three small beds. It was dimly lit by the sun which was now starting to set. There was a lit candle on a small table in a corner near one of the beds. Billie walked over to the bed and sat down on it.

Tré looked around the room. The only other thing was a dresser with drawers. Upon opening them he found clothes that were medieval. He shut the drawer and turned to his friends.

"I don't think anything like this has ever happened to me before."

They gave him a weird look. "What do you mean you don't think?" Mike asked. "Wouldn't you know you've never been to another world before?"

"Mike, remember this is Tré we're talking about," Billie answered him.

"Hey!" Tré said indignantly.

Billie and Mike both rolled their eyes.

"So...what exactly are we going to have to do?" Tré said, breaking the silence that had fallen.

Billie ran his hand through his hair. "I'm not sure. All I know is one way I can get Adie back and to get rid of the Evil, but..." he trailed off, not really wanting to finish.

"What?" Mike asked curiously.

Not wanting to look his friend in the eye, Billie gazed out the open window and watched the sun sink behind the hills, leaving the sky tinted orange and pink. He took his time in answering, "If I got rid of it that way, I won't come back..." He turned around to see their reactions. They were both speechless.

Billie suddenly didn't feel like talking anymore. He kicked off his shoes before slipping under the scratchy wool blankets on his bed. He rolled over to face the candle and closed his eyes. He fell asleep to the sound of crickets chirping and Mike and Tré whispering to each other.