The Rescue

Billie's Explanation

Mike woke up to Billie shaking him, looking worried and anxious. "What happened last night?"

Mike, being still half-asleep, yawned and replied in a mumble, "I had a weird dream."

"What happened in it?" Billie questioned.

"You attacked Tré-" Mike was cut short by Billie releasing his hold on him and looking around the room quickly like some psycho with his eyes wide and full of fear. Then he spotted Tré, peacefully asleep with red marks around his neck. He let out a sigh of relief.

"What?" Mike asked, now wide awake.

"That wasn't a dream," Billie told him, "I attacked Tré last night."

"What?!?" Mike sat up with surprise, his eyes now wide.

"Tré blew out the candle last night, and that was my only protection against darkness and the Evil," Billie explained, picking up the candle which was on the ground next to him. It lit up and he placed it back on the table in the center of a circle of strange symbols that were carved into it.

Mike gave him a puzzled look. None of this was making any sense to him. Billie noticed it and said, "Today everything should be explained to us, don't worry."

He then proceeded to walk towards Tré's bed when he jumped onto it.

"Ow!" Tré screamed, trying to push Billie off of him.

"Aw, come on, Tré. You don't like me anymore?" Billie teased.

Tré didn't seem to hear him and just continued trying to shove Billie off. He succeeded and smiled triumphantly at Billie Joe being sprawled out on the floor.

"I wonder if my dream was somehow trying to warn me of this..." Tré grumbled to himself.

Billie avoided his eyes, picking himself off and brushing off the dirt. "Um..." he said slowly, "that wasn't a dream."

Tré's hand shot to his neck to feel it, rubbing the red spots. "You tried to kill me!?!" he shouted, backing away from Billie.

Billie rolled his eyes, lifting his gaze, "It was your own fault..."

"My fault?! What'd I ever do to you?! You're...you're unstable!"

"You blew out the candle," Billie said simply, crossing his arms.

"Are you scared of the dark, and that's why you made an attempt on my life? 'Cause if that's so, I have to say that you must be some homicidal maniac who is living a double-life."

Billie had waited patiently through Tré's ramblings. When they ended, he said, "Since there was no other strong light, I was vulnerable to darkness and the Evil, and some of it possessed me and used me to attack you."

Tré narrowed his eyes, "Why should I believe you? You strangled me!"

Billie hit himself on the head with his hand and dragged it down his face. "Everything should be explained today," he replied wearily. "Right now we should probably go find Saydu." Billie almost spat his name.

"You sound like you resent someone. I better go warn him before you try killing him too!" Tré hopped out of his bed and attempted to run to the door, but was thwarted by Billie grabbing his arm.

"That's it, Tré," Billie said, getting annoyed. "We're going to go see Saydu and get some breakfast, okay?"

"Breakfast? Okay..." Tré kept eyeing him suspiciously, but gave in.

They put their shoes back on and found wooden combs on the table. They combed their hair quickly before going outside. They were greeted by the sun's rays shining down upon them, making them squint, but warming them up, and a gentle breeze that blew into their face.

Billie and Mike dragged Tré through the village, Billie in the lead. He kept looking around as though to check to see if he was going the right way. They saw nobody as they walked (and trudged sullenly) which puzzled Mike.

Mike hesitated, not knowing what to do until he saw Billie open the door. Sound flooded out: the sound of chatter, the clinking of utensils and plates and glasses, and the cheery laughter that came from a table in the room. There were a dozen long tables which people sat at and that were topped with food and drink. There was a room that was connected to the one they were in right now, presumably the kitchen. It was lit by floating orbs of colored light. Right now they were a golden orange that matched the mood of the room until they seemed to notice the three men. They all looked up before getting up and standing behind their chairs in silence, staring at them.