Golden Games

Friends, Feelings, and Nightmares

Well, you see Andrew is my oldest and best friend. I've known him since I was two weeks old. He was born in Toyohashi, Japan and has lived there all his life.

Our families have been connected for decades. My grandfather was a traveling archeologist who went to Japan to study something. He stayed in a small hotel tin Toyohashi that was owned by Andrew's mother. She was really young then and befriended my elderly grandpa. When my grandfather returned to Toyohashi many years later introduced my father to Andrew's mother, my mother was having my older sister. Three kids and 8 months of pregnancy later my mom had me. My parents flew me to Japan where I stayed until Andrew was born.

All of my friends questioned the true reason why I decided to move there. They thought I was going there so I could get some alone time with Andrew; others thought I was running away from something. Truth is htat I'm running towards something: my goal of becoming a doctor.

There's a program for future pediatricians in Toyohashi that I planned on attending. The program teaches its students the ancient way of healing a child. Some of the world's most renowned doctors have studied there. The program also offers normal classes that a high school student needs.

I fluttered delightfully out of my day dream back to the spacious limo where three men including Dr. What's-his-face sat staring at me. I peeked out of the tinted window and saw downtown Chicago at its best. It was twilight and the city was beginning to thrive. Telling by the increasing tension, I knew we were nearly to the airport. I decided I was right when the car parked in front of a huge circular building. They stopped at the front desk, got the tickets, and dragged me to the boarding dock for my plane. Within thirty minutes I was on board eating stale pretzels staring out the window watching the ground as it became smaller and smaller.

* * *

Plenty of hours later I was stepping into a busy street in Tokyo. I signaled for a taxi while my male nannies unloaded my luggage. The taxi that pulled up was not your average taxi. It was bright green with red and white Japanese advertisements. I got in expecting the men to follow. Instead, they slammed the door behind me and waved as the taxi pulled away from the curb. After a while the landscape went from busy and buildings to nature and animals.

* * *

It soon began to rain heavily as the taxi drove off leaving me alone with just my luggage. I was standing with my back against the hotel. I didn't want to turn around and face my new home for the next year; it would be depressing. I was secretly considering walking away and just disappearing for a bit when I felt a hand on my shoulder. Me, having took three years of kick-boxing, slapped the hand off me and spun around fully prepared to beat up the stranger. The stranger was my equal and caught each blow I tried to deliver as if he had read my mind! I tried to land a close up attack, but he pulled me into him. He wrapped his arms around me in a sloppy hug. The stranger had been wearing a dark, blue cloak that hid his face. He took off the hood off and lifted my head to look at me face to face. The stranger I had thought was going to hurt me looked a lot like...

"Andrew!" I yelled.

We hugged and stared a few minutes longer until we were both drenched to the bone. Andrew snatched my luggage from me and led me to my new room. It was blue and had purple trails running through it. This room had once been mine many years ago. Andrew set down my bags and tugged me all the way to the kitchen where his mother sat preparing a traditional Japanese meal. The she saw me she ran to embrace me. I think she started crying, but I don't know.

The next morning I awoke to Andrew, Kiyumi, and Tadao hovering over me.

"Finally! Did you know you snore like a pig?We've all been waiting for you to wake up! Get some clothes on and meet us at the garden so we can play Take Uma," Kiyumi said.
My three hyperactive friends filed out of my room, and I attempted to get dressed.

After searching through my many outfits, I decided on a blue, skull shirt with a pair of purple, skinny jeans. The colors really complemented the blue and purple in my naturally black hair.

I ventured out into the sunlit park where I saw my friends getting ready to sail into the deep pond. Andrew waved over for me to join. I splashed onto the raft. We caught up with each other for hours since we had nothing better to do. I learned some surprising new things abut my friends. For example Kiyumi bought her first car a few weeks ago. She's not able to drive it, but she likes the bragging rights. Tadao has finally chosen to act like an adult male. He used to look like a girl and you couldn't tell that he was a 19 year old boy. Andrew had made up his mind to go to Toyohashi University of Technology. He still had a few years but all of us planned for the future.

*
*
*

After the boat ride, Tadao drove us to the local mall where we tried on tons of clothing. Kiyumi and I gave the guys a makeover. Time seemed then to fly by quicker then a quail around these parts. Before you knew it, it was time to go back home. Andrew chose to walk home and I walked right along side with him.

"Life has been dull without you here, Yamari."

"Are you saying that I am that amazing?"

We laughed. "You could say that. You could also say that I missed you terribly."

We turned onto a street where neon signs lit our path.The night was chilly, and I began to shiver. Andrew, a true gentleman, took off his jacket and offered it to me. I put it on, glad for the warmth.

Andrew and I continued to walk in silence. Every now and then we would comment on a sign or car but other than that we said nothing.Andrew with his pretty blue eyes focused intensely on getting home.

"Andrew?"

"Yes, Yamari?"

"Are you happy that I'm moving back here?"

"Of course I am. I couldn't wish for anything else but to have my best friend here with me."

Deep inside I smiled. I wasn't very use to being wanted so openly. I also felt like dancing. I started to dance like an insane person right in the middle of the side walk. Andrew has known me for a while therefore knowing how to deal with me when I started to act crazy. He pulled me to his side and held me down. If he wouldn't have done that, I would have arrived at the hotel doing the electric slide. No good would have come from that. I hugged him goodnight and resided to my bed. Once I was snuggled deep in the covers i fell asleep almost instantly.

I sat up quickly. I had the worst nightmare I've had in many years! I was being chased by something-I had no idea what it was-all I knew was that I had to keep running. I couldn't let it get me. I ran and ran until the thing gave up. I started to calm down, but the monster somehow appeared next to me. Everything went black. Then i woke up. I shook it off because I believed it was only a dream and would stay only a dream. Man, was I ever so wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
I like to put Cliff Hangers on the end of my chapters. This is one of the sweet and sensitive chapters so...ENJOY!