‹ Prequel: Down the Rabbit-Hole.
Sequel: Twins

Welcome Home.

o1.

“Baby?”

Dru heard the voice and stirred in her sleep, opening her eyes slightly. “Ry?”

“Yeah, baby, it’s me.” Ryan said. He was kneeling beside the couch, looking at the girl with concerned chocolate eyes. “Why you sleeping down here, Dru-baby? Did you and Brendon fight?”

“Not . . . really.” the girl said in a quiet voice, hiding her eyes behind her lashes. “It just . . . sort of?” Her voice squeaked at the end of the sentence-slash-question owing to a few hours of disuse.

Ryan kissed her cheek. “Well, I’m going to tell Brendon I’m home and that we’re sleeping on the couch, okay?”

“You’re going to sleep with me?” she asked, smiling slightly.

“Yeah, I’m going to sleep with you, silly. I’ll be right back.” The boy pressed his lips to her forehead before standing up and leaving the room. The girl heard his footsteps on the stairs and was practically asleep when he came back down a few minutes later. He had changed into one of Brendon’s tee-shirts and a pair of sweats.

The pair snuggled none too uncomfortably on the couch, Ryan behind Dru, his arms wrapped around her waist, his nose in her hair. “You okay, baby?” he murmured.

“Yeah.” the girl replied distantly.

“You and Bren have sex?”

She nodded. “Did you?”

“Of course not.” Ryan nuzzled his nose against her exposed neck. “You know I call first.”

“All . . . w-ways.” Dru replied tiredly, a yawn ripping through the last syllable.

“Get some sleep, baby girl.” the boy said, kissing her neck and resting his cheek against her brown hair. “We’ll talk in the morning.”

“Where’d you go?”

“Tomorrow.”

“You went to tomorrow?” the girl mumbled, barely audible.

“Yeah.” Ryan said with a quiet laugh. “I went to tomorrow.”