Two Hearts to Make a Maniac

Chapter One

Bum-bum…bum-bum…

Through closed eyes and all the noise that's all I heard. The steady beat of my heart. Through the suburban utopia that lied only a mile away, through the beginning party of crazed teenagers, and through the crashes of the lakes shore. My heart is what kept me sane. 'One heart to keep you sane.'

Bum-bum…bum-bum…

Bum-bum…bum-bum…

'Two hearts to make you a maniac.'

"Hey there." The voice was supposed to sound suave, melodic, sensual. It sounded like a pig in reality.

"Go away." I didn't have time for petty disturbances like this stupid hormone crazed teen, so I kept my eyes closed. My session would begin in thirty minutes and I wasn't going to tell how I went crazy on some weird boy.

"Bitch." He grumbled softly his footsteps turning away. God, what I would give for this to be five years ago. But still thankful. I didn't need that crazy ass doctor bugging me anymore than needed.

After the boy's footsteps faded I let my head fall into my cold hands. Slowly, very slowly, I opened my eyes. The wooden dock beneath me seemed bright and alive. I would have sat there for ten minutes just looking at that dock. But I couldn't, I had to meet Dr. Douche-cock today.

My limbs ached as I strode from the dock and towards my bicycle. Yep bike, not car. I'm nineteen years old and have yet to get a car. Apparently I'm too "unstable". Though I don't necessarily disagree with that, and I do love my bike to death. I named it Niveus, that's white in Latin. You know what color it is? Black. I enjoy the slightly ironic.

"1, 2. 1, 2. 1, 2." I whispered pedaling Niveus faster. My appointment was in ten minutes, I had to go faster. Darting through the honking cars, that's exactly what I did. "Faster, faster, faster!" I ordered myself speeding up further. Finally, the towering building came into view. There wasn't a 'Yay! I'm going to make it in time!', nope. It was more along the lines of 'Shit, I can't believe I'm actually here.'

The woman at the front desk looked over at me lazily not bothering to ask for any ID or anything. I've been here enough times. I walked to the elevator and walked in once the doors opened. Pressing the correct floor number the elevator began to ascend. "One, two, three, BOOM!" On the 'Boom' the doors opened and I walked out then turned to the right. Then a left, another right, then a final left. I stood there, in front of the foggy glass door reading it. Dr. Crane. Dr. Jack-ass-crazy McDumbass Crane. I hated the man. With all my twisted little soul I hated him but I still had to see him. So I did.

Crane sat at his desk tapping his pencil impatiently. "Almost late again I see."

"Yeah, almost." I pointed out sitting in the chair sitting before his desk. "Now come on. Get with the questions I'd rather spend this damned session answering your questions than beating around the bush." As one hand motioned him to start the other covered my eyes as I leaned my elbow on the chair rest.

"Fine. How do you feel toda-"

"8:31 AM: Happy. 10:52 AM: Calm. 1:32 PM: On Edge. 2:01 PM: Agitated." I recited, informing Crane of how I've felt all day.

"How very nice for you." Crane grunted writing down the information. "It's good you've had no rapid change. Now tell me why you felt what you did." He instructed tapping his pen on his desk.

"I was happy because I'd just woken up and I felt rejuvenated. I was calm because I had taken a shower and would soon go to the lake. I was on edge because some group of teens were setting up a party across the lake and one approached me. I was agitated while coming here because I hate you." I explained rubbing my temples.

"Rebecca-"

"Don't," Snapping my head towards him I snarled, "call me that."

"Fine, Leal." He sneered using my last name. "Your parents send you here for a reason, shall we go over that?" He pressed setting down my file. I was never particularly interested what he wrote in my file but I did like looking at the picture. Auburn hair, green marshy eyes, and the slightest tanned skin. Yep, that's me.

"Because when I was fourteen I went into a maniacal fit of rage and beat another teen within an inch of his life. I was pronounced clinically insane because I found nothing wrong with what I had done and the doctors found me screwed up. I went through three years of intense psychological therapy in a facility in Northern Ireland before being shipped back to St. Louis after being pronounced sane again. Though I was welcomed home by family society cast me out. So, my parents sent me here and bought an apartment for me as well. Still concerned for my sane mind they wished for me to still go to sessions with a doctor. Then you, the brave and glorious Dr. Crane, offered to give me sessions. So, for two years now you've been trying to crack into my anger prone and slightly sadistic mind. Ah, but you haven't! Though I know why your so keen to! I know that your trying to do it so you know how to crack someone else." I said smugly turning to see his reaction.

His face was red with anger. He absolutely hates it when I talk about that subject, because he has no idea how I knew. So when he flew at me I wasn't surprised. But he should have known, I'm too fast. It was easy to dodge him. His grabs for me, his punches, and pretty much anything. But the game got boring, time to spice it up!

Slipping behind him I quickly grabbed his hair, bent him backwards, and kneed him hard in the back. I heard the breath leave his mouth in a gasp as I did so. "Now, now Dr. Crane, play nice. I could hurt you very much. But! That would disappoint my parents." I sighed dropping the beaten Doctor to the ground. Looking at the clock I observed we had only spent about thirteen minutes of our allotted sixty. "Well, I believe we spent enough time together today Crane." I informed him walking towards the door.

"Wait!" He croaked desperately. "One heart to keep you sane."

God not this again. "Two hearts to make you a maniac." I replied before striding out. Never in my life time will I understand why he stresses that so much. At the moment I really didn't care. I needed to get out of this damned place. I went through the same routine that I did coming in but only backwards. As soon as I was out of the building I gulped in vast amounts of air. In there I felt so enclosed, almost claustrophobic. I was fine now, well really only for a moment because I soon found my bike missing. "Fuck." I groaned lolling my head back. This was just one shitty moment after another. Now I'd have to catch a bus. Unfortunately, I have no change. Time to harass some citizen. Sure I could just go into a diner and ask for change but where was the fun in that?

There were many people swarming the streets so all I had to do was pick one. I walked on the sidewalk trying to pick out which person but didn't find one to my liking. But, when I saw one hunched over, hooded person slip into the alley way, I knew that was them. Picking up speed I chased after them. "Hey! Mister! Hey!" I yelled going into the alley. The man stopped but he didn't turn around. "Hey, do you have any change for the bus? Somebody stole my bike and I'm not walking all the way home." I explained standing a good five feet away.

"Don't you know it's dangerous to be in deserted alleys?" He asked, still not turning around. "There could be a crazed killer hiding around."

I assumed he was trying to ward me off. "Sir, with all due respect, if you knew me you'd know I'm just as screwed up as the psychopath next door." I explained waving my hand in the air.

"Really?" He asked skeptically turning around. I couldn't really explain his voice. It was deep yet squeaky at the same time. In general it was just strange.

"Yeah, I have to go over to the asylum and take sessions with Dr. Crane. Hate that guy. He's a prick and only agreed to take me in because he failed with another one of his patients so he decided to try and crack me. He just gets more and more frustrated every time we meet. Our last session only lasted thirteen minutes. But that doesn't matter, can I get some change or what?" I asked impatiently.

The man let out a cackle, which by all means was very creepy. "Yes, of course." He chuckled and stuck a hand into one of his coat pockets. Sticking my hand out, holding a dollar in it to switch off, I waited for my change. The man took several long strides forward so my arm length shrunk back about half way and was crushed against his chest. "Here you go." He then dropped the change in my hand then turned around not bothering to take the dollar.

"Hey! Mister don't you want your money?" I called clutching the coins in my fist.

"Go ahead and keep it toots!" He called still walking the opposite direction before disappearing around the corner.

I shook my head and walked from the alley. Then I realized something. Throughout the whole time I was in that alley, I never saw his face. I didn't really bother me much, I'd never see him again so there wasn't a use mulling over it or anything. Catching the bus I rode back to my apartment that was barely in city limits. I'd only stay there for a couple hours, I needed to go back to the lake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yep. I'm Joker crazed so I thought 'Why not? I'll go ahead and make a story.' and so I have.