Two Hearts to Make a Maniac

Chapter Eight

I've come to believe no matter how old you are, or anything for that matter, your never too old to watch cartoons. I loved them, they make me smile. They're simple and keep me entertained. That's all I wanted, to watch my stinking, fucking cartoons. But no.

"Change the damn channel back!" I screamed from the tattered couch that was smacked against the small wall of the "family living room". Skeeter and Jack stood in front of the TV watching it intently. I felt my breathing increase as I tore away from the couch. "Look! I told you to move, damn it!"

I was so close, so close to punching one of those clowns.

My head slammed painfully into the wall. I dug my fingers into the person's shoulders trying to ward of the pain from my the back of my head. Opening my mouth to scream I closed it back up seeing the Joker smiling in front of me. I don't know what to call what I feel towards him. It is definitely not some sort of liking and it isn't hate. I'm not indifferent towards him either, I guess I really have NO feelings toward him. Can't bring myself to like him because he treats be like a damn child and I can't hate him because he's changed my life. For the better as well, that I do know.

"-Mr. Lau is now being held by police officials and being interviewed my several persons." The overly direct new reporter explained.

The Joker let out a demented laugh backing away. "Time to go have a little fun!" With that he skipped out of the room Skeeter and Jack following. I really had no clue what he was going to do. The meeting the other day had gone right past me, I'd barely heard a thing. Shaking my head I sat back down on the couch flipping back to my cartoons. "Ah-ah!" The light-hearted voice came. "No TV till you've done your work!" Joker chanted pulling me up roughly and dragging me out.

The house was just as strange in daylight as it was at night. Though, I wasn't paying too much attention to the ratty house. We were about to do something, something bad and my skin was crawling with excitement.

As we got into the van I retreated into the back, knowing that's where I'd have to stay, and the Joker would sit up front with one of his dumb ass clowns. Though, that didn't happen. Skeeter and Jack sat up front silent as hell and Joker came and sat across from me. I looked at him from the corner of my eye to find him lounging in the leather upholstered seat looking straight at me. Sighing, I leaned my head against the seat in front of me and did the exact same thing he did, I stared.

For at least ten whole minutes he just stared occasionally licking his lips making me think he was about say something. With out his crazy jabber or screaming the van was incredibly silent. I didn't like that.

"We gonna kill someone?" Now I liked that.

Tilting his head Joker let out another howl of laughter. He stopped abruptly and sat up, his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped together. "Well 'ya see, I don't plan. So we could kill someone," he stopped again and leaned closer to me, "or someone could kill us."

Grunting I looked away from him staring into the back of the seat. "Fuck, I'm not dying." I laughed grinning into the seat.

"Now, Little Leal, why's that?" He asked his voice clearly depicting me as a child.

"Because," I started grinning further, "where's the fun in that? I just joined up with Gotham's new prime criminal and I'm not gonna die on my second day, Boss."

I could see his smile deepen, the scars on his face growing. Suddenly the car jolted, showing we had stopped. I cursed underneath my breath angry at the fact that I was sure to be knocked out some time soon.

Easily, I could say that the building in front of us was a piece of shit. It was run down and the perfect place for shady business, I could see why we're here. I kept a good couple feet away from the rest of the group waiting to see what to do next. Before we walked in the Joker turned around and motioned me forwards.

"Now, I'm sure you don't have any clue how to use a gun, so here 'ya go!" He shoved a shot gun into my hands and then went into the building. Shaking my head, I cocked the gun and went in after him. Inside the building was nicer, cleaner, and soon to be very bloody. Following him further Skeeter, Jack, and I walked into a small room with the Joker. Several mobsters stood in the room fear streaked across their faces as others were on the ground, guns held to their heads by a few masked clowns whom I hadn't seen before. "Why hello! Looks like you got yourself in a little predicament." Joker giggled walking around the room, a spring in his step. He skipped over to one of the mobsters, squinting at him. "You look uncomfortable. Here! Let me show you a magic trick!" Grabbing onto the mobsters coat he pulled him over to the pool table placed in the room and grabbed a pencil. "Wanna see this pencil disappear?" He asked licking his lips and raising his eyebrow.

Setting the pencil onto the table, straight up he began to move his hands around it, magically. Without hesitation, he whipped his hand back, grabbed the man's head and slammed it. Right, onto the pencil. I couldn't help but laugh along with him as the body fell to the ground and eraser sticking out it's head. Joker grinned towards me then looked at another man. "She thinks it's funny." He chuckled jabbing a finger towards me.

Slowly, he began to circle the other standing man. Stopping in front of him he lays an arm on the man's shoulder and licks his lips. "You wanna know how I got these scars? My father was…a drinker and a fiend, and one night he goes off crazier than usually." Reaching to his pocket, the Joker takes out a knife, placing it at the man's lips." Well, mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend her self, he doesn't like that. Not. One bit." Joker continues his voice becoming nostalgic, bugging his eyes out slightly." So, me watching, he takes the knife to her laughing while he does it. He turns to me and says "Why so serious, son?", he comes at me with knife "Why so serious?". Sticks the blade in my mouth, "Let's put a smile on that face!". And…" He trails off looking at one of the men on the ground. "Why so serious?" He asks loosing his daunting tone. Catching the man off guard he sticks the knife into the head mobster's neck. He drops to the ground, his eyes turning milky white.

I could see the other men began to shake as the Joker leans down and takes out the knife. They looked from each other to the Joker who grabbed a pool stick and began aiming at one of the pool balls. Standing up straight again, he tosses it back and forth in his hands and he advances back to the men. "Now, who wants to join our little group?" He asked looking from the three men on the floor. Snapping the stick in two, he tosses them on the ground. "Thing is, we've only got one spot. So were going to have try outs." Quirking his head to the side he grins then walks out grabbing my arm on the way. Skeeter, Jack, and the rest of the clowns stay.

"What? No screaming? No spewing blood? You seem to be loosing your touch." I chuckled getting into the passengers side.

"Oh don't worry. Were getting to the fun part!" He yelled revving the engine and speeding away from the building.

We zoomed past cars and buildings not giving one shit about them. I clung to my seat, smiling doing so, eager to see what else this guy can stir up. Only after ten minutes we arrive at an abandoned meat factory of sorts.

"Come on! We don't want to keep him waiting?" Joker shouted jumping from the van and walking a head of me.

"Who?" I called back running after him.

Stopping, he turns around to me, grinning mischievously. "Batman."
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I know some of the things are out of sequence from the movie so don't bitch at me if you feel you've been cheated my inaccuracy. I happen to like it, deal. As some requested I put the pencil scene in there and I put how he got his scars because I just love that part. The next chapter will probably come out pretty soon, so yeah...hope you liked this chapter!

-Babylon