Having a Split Personality

Nightmares

Mike was flipping through the channels trying to find something to watch on TV when he felt the all too familiar pain again. He shakily turned the TV off and then put the remote next to him on the couch. He scrunched his eyes together before he passed out.

He was rudely awoken by the neon bright light. He shielded his eyes with one hand and awaited his instructions.

"Michael, your next 'mission' will require for you to go to the future so I am going to have to send you through my time machine," Arcturis's voice rang out through the room, "Any resistance and you should know what's in store for you... "

Mike shuddered at the thought of what had happened last time.

"There's a friend of mine who I want you to pay a little nighttime visit to," Arcturis said casually, "I want you to scare him, scare him so badly that he will never be the same... "

"How am I supposed to do that?" Mike asked in a quiet voice.

"Figure it out yourself. Now go."

A path lit up to a door and Mike begrudgingly followed it.

'This should be fun... ' Mike thought, now grinning. His strides lengthened and he opened the door to find a room filled with many different futuristic gadgets. He couldn't concentrate on them though because he felt a pain in his head. Obviously Arcturis didn't want him to learn too much.

He walked over to something that looked like an elevator. He pressed the button on the outside and it opened. The doors shut behind him and he looked around. The interior was completely metal and it was lit by a glowing bluish light. It looked like everything was set for him to go. There were two buttons set out from the rest: a green one and a red one. Assuming green meant go, Mike pushed the green one.

The blue light flared and he was jerked backwards. He grabbed onto a railing that was sticking out from the wall and held on as he hurtled through time. As suddenly as it had flared, the blue light dimmed and Mike fell forward. He picked himself up and brushed himself off before pressing a button near the door that opened it. He looked to be in an abandoned warehouse, very old and derelict. Water dripped down from a broken pipe and hit him. He wiped it off before he left the building behind.

He gasped at the sight he was greeted with. Some cars were hovering near the ground while others were flying through the air. Buildings towered high around him. Judging by the fact that the stars were just peeking out, Mike assumed it was around 8 o'clock.

Feeling extremely out of place, he ducked back into the warehouse and changed into a pigeon. He flew across the street to a particular building and changed into a small, black spider. When the pain had subsided, Mike crawled in through an open window. Inside it was very futuristic, but he didn't pay any mind to it. He had a job to do. He saw somebody waiting for an elevator going up. He scuttled over and waited, making sure not to be noticed. The elevator doors opened and the man walked in with Mike following behind him. There were forty-eight floors in this building. The man pressed his button and Mike sighed to himself. It wasn't his floor. It only took a few seconds to go from the first floor to the twentieth floor. The man got out and the doors shut behind him.

Mike hurriedly transformed back to normal and pressed the button for the thirty-second floor. He stepped out almost immediately after pressing the button and strode off to the right with purpose. When he reached the end of the long hallway, he knocked on a door. He quickly changed back into a spider.

The door was opened by an annoyed looking man. He looked both ways before closing the door, not before Mike slipped in. It was practically the size of a small house in there. He made his way to a room that had its door closed and its lights off. He transformed into a flea so he could squeeze under the door. It was the room of a young boy who looked to be around ten years old. Mike changed back to normal and made a knife from the kitchen float unseen and unheard through the door, fading through it. He caught it in his hand and stared at his victim who had opened his eyes and was now looking at Mike absolutely terrified.

"W-who are you?" the boy asked in a trembling voice.

Mike smirked. "Your worst nightmare." As he said that made his eyes roll into the back of his head and transformed into the young boy. Then he stabbed himself in the chest and stomach areas repeatedly, causing blood to gush out. He prolonged the healing a few seconds before letting the wounds heal up, leaving bloodstains on his clothes but not on the carpet in the room.

The boy had started whimpering in fright and did not seem able to get out a scream. Mike grinned and then proceeded to slice his throat before throwing the bloody knife to embed itself in the board above the boy's head. A drop of blood dripped on the boy and he finally cried out for his mom and dad. They burst into the room but saw only their child, no blood on his face, no knife above his head. If they had looked around better, they would have seen a spider scurrying out of the room.

'That was wrong, I had no reason to scare the boy so badly,' Mike thought to himself.

'Or kill that girl either, eh? That was refreshing fun, both times.'

Mike was startled by the alien thought again. 'No it wasn't. It was wrong.' He thought, trying to press the idea into his mind, 'Wrong, wrong, wrong.'

His mind was quiet after that as he went back to the time machine and went back home.