Chasing Cars

Jandri

We'll do it all,
Everything,
On our own.


Where did this all begin? The night that me and Angela prank called you. I asked you if you had a funny story to tell me. You said, "Umm... Not really."

I asked you, "Are you sure?" over and over again until you yelled at me. Then I asked what were you eating.

You said, "A cuban sandwich."

I thought, "How typical."

I hung up and you called me back with a funny story. About how your brother had hit you in the head with a wrench when you were young and you still have the scar.

What had started as a prank call turned into a conversation. We talked for about an hour. Then that weekend we talked on and off. This was weird because we knew each other at school but had barely said no more than two words to one another. Nothing more than, "Hey. Can I touch your hair?"

We don't need
Anything
Or anyone.


I saw you at school that Monday. I was nervous for some reason. But yet, I still talked to you a bit and invited you to sit at our table. You came and sat there all week. Everyone started to think things but I was still unsure. I hadn't really ever had a real boyfriend before. I didn't know how these things really worked. Hell, I did even know if you liked me. I doubted it because my self-esteem is low. I'm not used to guys liking me either. But I still felt something about you. Something that dangled on the thin line between doubt and hope.

If I lay here,
If I just lay here,
Would you lie with me and
Just forget the world?


I invited you to my house a week after we met for a get-together I was having with me and a few friends. Movies and pizza. We watched the 40-year-old Virgin and picked on you, saying that was you in 23 years. But you didn't mind though. You even laughed when we told you how we think you orgasm would sound. That still makes me chuckle when I think of it. That night, we were playing truth or dare. You picked truth, being the safe person you are, and Angela asked you if you liked anyone. You said me.

I don't quite know
How to say
How I feel.


We started dating a month after, partly so we could get to know each other first and partly because my mom had to be convinced that you were a good guy. Soon I realized that you were what I had been waiting for. The perfect guy. Smart, tall, funny, athletic, and gorgeous. Yes, I use the word gorgeous because your facial structure is flawless. Rare in the most definite way. Up until then I had though that every guy was an inconsiterate asshole. But you were different. Maybe because I was your first girlfriend. I'm not too sure.

Those three words
Are said too much.
They're not enough.


I remember the first time you said "I love you." It was an accident when we were playing UNO. All was quiet and awkward for a few minutes. You thought I would've forgotten by now but I remember. Then a couple of weeks later you told me over the phone that you loved me. I didn't feel the same way. Yet. Then, that night. That perfect, starless, navy night. After I had just went to my first concert and saw my favorite band I told you that I loved you. You probably think that I was speaking from the pumping adrenaline along with the combination that it was midnight and I had been up since three, but that's not true. Something hit me that night. You had accompanied me to my first concert, and it was yours as well. You had protected me from crowd-surfers, mosh pits and old, drunk ladies. You stood for 15 hours with me, not because you particularly liked the bands playing but because you wanted to be with me. I appreciated that. I still love you, more than ever.

If I lay here,
If I just lay here,
Would you lie with me and
Just forget the world?


We went to the park once with my dog Hershey. We hid behind some trees, away from people, so that we didn't have to be bothered. Little did we know that we had brought a pest with us anyways. Hershey. He stuck his face in the dirt like he had never done before and got me all dirty. He's lucky I love him and want to squish him around all day. But don't worry, I love you too. That lake was quite beautiful. Even better with you there.

Forget what we're told,
Before we get too old.
Show me a garden that's bursting into life.


I recall the time when I drove my mom to the store and you were scared that I was probably going to kill someone. You were stuck at the house, putting up our Christmas lights and later told me that it was the worst and most boring time you had ever spent at my house. But we had went shopping earlier that day and had a blast nevertheless. We hung out in my room and the Christmas lights that lined my window turned your face a pretty color. You were so beautiful.

Let's waste time
Chasing cars
Around our heads.


We got into a bit of a dispute once. You lied. I was so angry, I felt that my head was about to explode. You didn't think of it as a big deal at first but then saw that I was extremely angry. You came over to get your iPod and I had to hold back from strangling the life right out of your big head. I was sleeping when you came in and I didn't care that you saw me without make-up, in my pj's, and hair wild. I wanted you to say something so I could kill you with reason. You wanted a kiss but I said no and gave you a lifeless hug. The look on your face was so tragic that I felt horrible, even though I didn't show it. Even though I thought you didn't deserve it. But I realized that I over-reacted. We overcame that obstacle and now our relationship is stronger than ever.

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own.


You. Are. So. Clumbsy. It's absolutely ridiculious. You trip over your feet like you have 17 toes. But it's okay because I'll still love you even if you can't exactly walk on a tight rope. I remember the first time we hung out at my house and you were attempting very hard to "break dance". At least, that's what you called it. It looked more like "I'm-gonna-break-my-neck-and-your-furinture dancing". We were all laughing and you asked if we were laughing at you or with you. We said we were laughing with you but...

If I lay here,
If I just lay here,
Would you lie with me and
Just forget the world?


The first time we attempted to kiss... No words can explain how horrible and tramatizing that was. But I cut you some slack because you were completely clueless. Like a lost puppy. You looked so innocent and confused that I had to hold back a chuckle. But now look at you. That's all you want to do. Kiss, kiss, kiss. And you're a hell of a lot better at it too. I taught you well, my love.

Forget what we're told
Before we get too old.
Show me a garden that's bursting into life.


Did you know that you are one of the only people that I can actually have an intelligent conversation with? You can talk about anything and form a well-based opinion. That is so hard to find these days. I'm glad that I found you. I really enjoy having intellectual conversations even though we don't do it that often. And when you think that I'm not listening when you're talking about baseball, you're wrong. I've learned so much about that sport that it's retarded. You always give me random facts from Wikipedia, a.k.a., your Myspace.

All that I am,
All that I ever was,
Is here in your perfect eyes.
They're all I can see.


Those eyes. Those amazing, light brown eyes with a little dark flake on the bottom of the right one. I could stare into them all day. In the sun they turn almost a golden translucent color. In regular class lighting, the appear metallic. You have great eyes. And even though some people may pick on your eyebrows, I think that they are perfect too. They're just jealous because their eyes aren't as majestic. Don't listen to them.

I don't know where.
Confused about how as well.
Just know that these things will never change for us at all.


And through it all. Look how far we've come. Who would have ever known? Not me, that's for sure. Just know that I love you. And if we go our separate ways for college don't ever forget that. Don't ever forget me. Because I'll never forget you. You have made me feel something that I never thought I would ever feel. My feelings for you will never change and even though we might part in the future, I'll always love you. Always. Until the end of time.

If I lay here,
If I just lay here,
Would you lie with me and
Just forget the world?


Love you,
Tas