Execution of a Revolutionary American Rebel

Rebel

He sat almost motionless on the concrete floor of the flithy jail cell and gripped tightly onto the broken hay that lay sprawled all over the surface. His foot tapped incessantly and his heart pounded for a sweet release. He had big silver eyes that covered most of his ghastly face and a scruffy five o'clock shadow. He listened intently... for nothing. The sound of bare feet was heard approaching rather quickly and his soul beater harder and louder. The only light that kept him from the choking darkness was a few flames lit gorgeously against the brick wall. An angelic whisper covered in a thick British accent. "Nicolas... Nicolas."

"Anna?" His voice, with the same accent, was desperate and he scrambled quickly to the door of cold, metal bars. Then he saw her face. Those high cheek bones with timeless bronze skin. Her jet black hair, with huge curls, matted with dirt and dry leaves, fell gloomily over her petite shoulders and protruding collar bones. That pair of pale blue eyes that seemed to shine through even the darkess of nights. That seemed like a deep never-ending pool full of passion. She wore a dingy and wrinkled burgundy dress with tarnished silver buttons which draped carelessly over her thin body. The light from the fire spread over her face causing her beauty to escalate. "Oh, my Anna."

"Shh..." she placed her small, dirty finger on his lips. "Take this." She pulled an object out of her worn pouch and handed it to him through the bars. He smiled as he unwrapped the loaf of bread. "It's all I could spare."

"Thank you," he threw the bread aside and stuck his hands through the bars. "I love you, Anna." He ran his large hands through her thick hair.

She grabbed onto his wrist. "I love you, too." Tears welled in her perfect eyes.

"Don't cry. Don't cry. Everything happens for a reason, love. Everything."

"Please don't say that. You're sentenced to death tomorrow. For standing up for what you believe in. What is the reason for that?"

"It is a little thing called the right for freedom. For justice."

She sighed. "What will I do when you are gone?"

"Move on."

"I cannot." Her voice cracked through the knot in her esophagus. "I love you far too much."

"My dearest, Anna. Just know that we will see each other again someday."

She rested her head against the bars and he pressed his lips softly against hers. "I'll always love you, Nicolas."

"And I'll love you until the very second my heart stops beating."

A clear tear rolled down her cheek. "I must leave now." She kissed him tenderly and left without a farewell because farewell is forever...

"Wake up, rebel!" An angry guard thrice his size screamed the following morning. A purple vein bulged from his massive neck. Sun spilled in the room and Nicolas was snatched up and dragged out of the cell without another word. He struggled a bit but his fate was inevitable so there was no sense to it.

Next thing he knew, he was outside, the sun blinding, on a shaky wooden platform. The noose was ready, as was he. He stood in front of a crowd of dirty, sad faces. Men, women, and children. Slaves and freedmen. His arms were tied behind his back with a thick rope that had begun the pull his skin away with the friction. A man in clean apparel walked onto the plateau and stood next to him. He unrolled a sheet of paper and began to read. "Nicolas Roberts is charged with the crime of tyranny. A treacherous crime which the punishment is, regretably, death." He looked deep into Nicolas' eyes with hate as the guard wrapped the rope around his neck and began to put the bag over his head. He sneered, "Is there anything you would like to say before you meet your fate," he paused, "traitor?"

"All that I ask is that you do not put this bag over my head so that my people can see what you bastards call justice."

"As you wish." He bowed sarcastically and waved his hand for the guard to remove the bag. Across the crowd he saw Anna. Weeping into a cloth. They made eye contact and she shot away, distraught. "Ready the floorboard!" the evil red-coat yelled.

"Ready!" he heard screamed back.

"One." This is it, he thought. I did what I did to stand up against injustice. "Two." My poor, poor, beloved Anna. I wish you could hear me now. I love you. "Three!" The floor beneathe Nicolas' feet gave way and he fell to his instant death. A loud snap was heard and the audience cringed. His dead body hung there for a few moments, swaying in the breeze, before the guard lowered it off the rope.

Nicolas' invisible soul rose from his body and floated up to the Heavens, where he rightfully deserved to be. Where him and Anna would one day be reunited again for the rest of eternity.