Status: Back on haitus. Yeah, I know, guys; sorry. I'm focusing more on The First Cut Is The Deepest right now. So when I get the urge to start writing on this again, I will. =) Don't unsubscribe! =]

Maybe Just a Dash of Cliché

Chapter 13

When Julian got back to work, his shift was already over. He told his boss how it went and then signed out of work. He changed out of the blue jumpsuit and grabbed his motorcycle helmet from his work locker. He got onto his bike and made his way home.

Lily was currently in Greg's car on the way to her house. She actually had a lot of fun with him today. About halfway through the ride home, Lily felt Greg's hand slowly creep onto hers. She quickly moved her hand and made it seem like she was brushing a piece of her hair behind her ear. She hoped he didn't notice what she was really doing as she placed her hand on her lap. As they pulled onto the driveway, Lily began to say her thanks.

"Thanks for taking me out today." She said with a smile.

"No problem. It was my pleasure." Greg said as he parked in front of her house.

They sat in silence for a few seconds as Lily unbuckled her seat belt. As she was about to open the door to get out, she felt Greg's hand on her arm, pulling her close to him. She saw his face coming closer to her and that's when Lily realized that Greg was going in for the kiss. Lucky for her though, she turned her head away at the last moment.

"I should probably head in now." She said awkwardly as she let herself out of his light grip. She peeked up at him through her eyelashes and watched him lean back in defeat.

"Right..." He said dejectedly.

"I'll see you later." Lily quickly said as she left his car and went inside her house. She didn't even bother to wait for his reply.

As soon as she was in her room, she leaned her back against her bedroom door. She felt her heart racing. It wasn't because she liked Greg, but it was actually because she's never kissed a boy yet. She was still bound to have her first kiss. And honestly, she really didn't feel like she wanted Greg to have it.

Lily rid her head of those thoughts and went to get ready for bed.

When Julian got home, he found his uncle gathering up Julian's dirty laundry in his room. Julian didn't mind it as he laid down on his bed, resting his eyes for a bit. He watched as his Uncle Lawrence dug through his one of his jean pockets for anything before washing it. Lawrence pulled out a few dollars from the back pocket of his jeans.

"What's this, Julian? Is this yours?" Lawrence asked his nephew. Julian peeked one eye open and looked at what was in his uncle's hands. It was the money that Lily had left behind that one day when she was at the diner.

"Oh, yeah. It's a, uh, a friend's." Julian said, shutting his eyes once more as he placed his hands behind his head. "I have to return it to her." He said without opening his eyes.

"Her?" Lawrence asked. His interest was peaked. Julian reluctantly opened his eyes as he realized what his uncle was going to ask him. "Who's 'her'?"

"Okay, okay." Julian said as he sat up in his bed. "I lied. It isn't a friend of mine. It's just this random chick I've been running into a lot lately."

"Chick?" Lawrence asked, his eyebrow raised.

"I mean, girl. Sorry." Julian apologized. Lawrence nodded for him to continue. "Yeah, well, that's her money that she left at the diner. I have to return it to her."

"She left it at the diner?"

"Yeah."

"So this is actually a tip, isn't it?"

"Well, yes, but-" Julian started, but his uncle stopped him.

"So it's your money then?"

"Well, yes, but-" He was cut off once more by Lawrence.

"Then keep it!" His uncle said, putting it onto the small lamp desk next to Julian's bed.

"But that's the thing. I don't want it." He finally said.

"And why not?"

"It's pity money." Julian said. "I'm going to give it back to her, because I don't want her pity money."

"Hmm." His uncle hummed. "Okay then. I wouldn't want pity money either." He said as picked up Julian's dirty laundry and left his room. Julian was glad he let it go and dropped the subject.

Julian flopped back down onto his bed and tried to get to sleep. He had work in the morning.

Lily woke up the next day at around late morning. She stretched her arms before getting up out of her bed. She did her morning routine and then changed into a pair of jeans, a white tank top and a gray cardigan. She grabbed her house keys, cellphone and some money before leaving her bedroom.

She actually decided to leave the house through the front door, because she knew that her father was still on a business trip. But Lily knew that he really wasn't on a business trip. She shook her head as she walked down the street. She didn't want to think of those things right now. She was actually having a fairly good morning so far.

After about twenty minutes of walking, Lily walked into the same diner that Julian worked at. She was kind of hoping that he was working today. And lucky for her, he was. But also unlucky for her, his shift had just ended as she was seated.

Just as Julian clocked out of work, he saw Lily sit down at a booth alone. He grunted to himself. He could feel her money in his front pocket. He fished around for the money and had it ready to give it back to her.

When Lily picked up the menu to look for something to eat, her menu was suddenly smacked down to the table. In surprise, she moved back. Someone's hand was on the menu, holding it down to the table. She slowly looked up and she nearly gasped. Julian was the one holding down the menu.

"Here's your money." Julian said. Lily looked at him questioningly. He tilted his head down slightly towards his hand. She looked down and only then did she notice the crumpled up dollar bills under his hand.

"Wh-" She started, but she didn't get to finish before he spoke up again.

"Don't tip me ever again. I don't want your pity money." Julian said, a stern look on his face. Lily found her voice again.

"It wasn't pity money. It was common courtesy. You were my waiter and I was your customer. I tipped you because of your services." Lily said.

"That's bullshit. I gave you shitty service."

"So? Like, I said, it's common courtesy. I have to tip you something, even if it's a little." She saw his jaw tighten.

"Don't ever do it again." He said as he leaned away from her. Lily didn't realize that they were merely four inches from each as they spoke. She gulped. Was she just threatened?

"Julian!" They both heard from behind Julian. They both turned and saw an older lady behind the counter in a work uniform and apron, her hands on her hips.

"Yeah, Joyce?" Julian asked the older lady.

"Are you threatening a customer?" She asked him.

Yes! Yes, he is!

Lily thought to herself, but she didn't dare say it out loud.

"No, of course not." He replied. "I was just giving back something that she dropped when she came in. There's no problem at all." Joyce stared at him incredulously before pursing her lips.

"Well, okay. Get going or you're going to be late for your next job." Joyce said.

"Right. I'll see tomorrow, Joyce." He said as Joyce turned around and headed back into the kitchen.

He's a good liar.

Lily thought as he turned back around to face her. He glared at her one last time before leaving. She leaned back into the booth, her hand on her chest. Her heart was racing a million miles an hour. And it wasn't because he threatened her. It was because he was so close to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I honestly don't remember the last time this story got a comment... =T
Anyways, comment and subscribe! =)
Readers at the moment: 75
Subscribers at the moment: 19
Comments at the moment: 8