Wild Horses

Epilogue - Reach Out, Let It In

A few years came and went, time changing with the seasons. Slowly the damage to the barn was repaired, things almost like new. But the Bakers would be lying if they said things had gone back to normal. For life on the ranch with one less person could hardly be normal.

Treva sighed as she took in the view before her of the valley and stream, her one hand resting against the cool stone of Brian's grave while the other was laced with Zach's. It wasn't long before the two were engaged, and now they were soon to be married. And no one but she herself knew, but Treva was with child. She was only twenty, Zach just barely twenty-two. Brian would have been twenty-three had he still been alive...

Feeling Zach's grip on her hand tighten as the sun continued its descent through the clouds, bringing on the deep indigo night, Treva sent him a smile. Leaning up, she pressed a chaste kiss to his lips before looking out at the world.

A few years prior, Treva would have never known how much her life was going to change in less than a year in her new home. She'd have never guessed that the person she once was no longer existed, something new taking its place. She used to shy away, afraid of the world. But upon meeting Zach and Brian, had learned that the wilderness was something to be embraced. She was no longer afraid.

She learned to accept the things awaiting her with open arms, and to find beauty in the simplest of things.

The words Zach had spoken the summer of her sixteenth year were truer than Treva could have imagined. The wild world of Montana had become such a great part of her life and her soul that Treva would have never been able to survive were she to move back to Manhattan. She'd never dreamed of doing such a thing; the ranch held too many memories, some good and some bad, that she just didn't want to let it go.

The summer of the wild horses was one that Treva would carry with her always, because it changed her in so many ways. For they are not unlike the wild horses, choosing the paths of their lives to take them wherever they pleased. Treva had the world at her fingertips, waiting...

All she had to do was reach out, and let it in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo, it's over!!!! Oh boyyy!
I feel the ending could have been much better, but... oh well. It's been planned this way from the start.
A HUGE thank you to all who read, commented, and subscribed to this story :) I really appreciate it on tremendous proportions.
xox
THERE WILL BE NO SEQUEL. Just thought I'd throw that in there.