Switch

Faux Friends

"Sweetie, Brian is here!" Julia heard Mrs. Raine call up the stairs. Having been ready for a few minutes (that were spent snooping around Natalie's room) she grabbed her bag and descended the stairs, dreading the ride with Brian. The school wasn't too far from Natalie's home, but Julia could feel before even leaving the house that the ride was going to be tense after the way she and Brian had parted the afternoon before.

Her thoughts were only confirmed when Julia saw the way Brian looked straight ahead out the windshield, not bothering to look at her when she got into the front seat of his car. She waited patiently in silence for him to pull away from the curb, but he never did, which confused her. But she knew when Brian let out a deep sigh that he was going to break the silence.

"Babe," Brian said, almost gruffly, and he looked up at her, gazing into the bright hazel of Natalie's eyes. "I'm sorry about yesterday. I don't know why but...something inside me snapped after everything that happened yesterday." Pausing, he let out another sigh as he hesitated in saying what he was about to tell her. "Something's changed about you since the other day. And I don't know what it is. But I'm pretty sure I don't like it."

Feeling something strange inside compel her, Julia cracked a small grin at Brian. "Don't apologize. Things have just been really weird lately, and it's taking a little time to adjust." Julia didn't know where these words were coming from, but she figured it was something Brian needed to hear in order to keep his and Natalie's relationship from falling apart. But then again, perhaps it was Brian's inescapable charm. Julia had never fallen victim to it, but considering the position she was in, she'd started to feel it, and it was confusing.

"What, is it something going on at home?" Brian asked, eyebrows knit with concern. Shaking her head, Julia looked down at her hands. How could it be a problem with Natalie's family? They were perfect, and Julia was almost afraid to admit that. She was supposed to be the perfect one, with the perfect family waiting for her at home. But Natalie had the one thing she didn't have, and it was slightly unnerving.

"It's a...personal thing," Julia replied, looking back into Brian's deep brown eyes. She almost couldn't help but feel they were more captivating than her own boyfriend's bright blues. Almost. "And...I'll try to be as normal as possible to you and everyone else, until I get it all figured out."

Hesitating just slightly, Julia leaned forward and kissed Brian lightly on he cheek - the only sign of affection she was willing to show at the moment, and Brian smiled. To anyone else, Julia's act of kindness in that moment would be construed as uncharacteristic. But despite her cold exterior, Julia did have a heart. She was just too afraid to show it.

Glancing down at the dashboard clock, Brian quickly revved the Camaro's engine. "We're going to be late," he said, and once he had the car in gear, he took Julia's hand into his own. And this time, she didn't pull away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When she was alone in the Stuart residence, Natalie couldn't wait to get back to school so she wouldn't feel quite so alone. But now that she was in school, flanked by Kendra, Danielle, and Pam in the cafeteria, Natalie would have given anything to be back in that quiet, empty house. Actually, Natalie would have given anything to be back in her own body. She'd never been separated from Brian for longer than a day, considering she would be with him every day at school, and would usually see him at least once over the weekend. The same thing went for her friends. Natalie was so used to being around them all at school that it just felt strange to be apart.

"Hellooo, Earth to Julia," Kendra said, snapping her fingers in front of Natalie's eyes to break the trance it seemed she was under. In reality, she was busy watching her body sitting next to Meg and across from Brian at the lunch table they were always at, wishing for this daytime nightmare to finally be over.

"What?" Natalie asked, turning to face Julia's friends.

"Ugh..." Kendra scoffed. "Way to pay attention, Jules. I was only talking about Daddy letting me bring you with me for the yacht trip in the Gulf of Mexico this Christmas."

Rolling her eyes, Natalie fought back a grimace. The thought of being stuck at sea on a boat with Kendra made her feel sick to her stomach already. "If things go the way I'd like them to in the near future, I won't be around to. Thank God," Natalie grumbled to herself, but Kendra heard her and gasped, quite overdramatically.

"What?! You're moving!?" Kendra asked, the other two girls - who were talking quietly back and forth - instantly coming to attention.

"No, I'm not moving. Just...never mind," Natalie sighed, and she could practically see Kendra's worry deflate. But right before she looked away, Natalie caught the faintest glimmer of hope shining in her eyes. Almost as if Kendra was excited to hear the prospect of Julia moving. Typical popular, catty friends: they act like they're best friends, but as soon as the Queen Bee is no longer in the picture, they want to completely take over.

"So, have you girls heard the news about Holly and Todd?" Kendra then asked the girls, bringing I the gossip like she always did.

"Ooh! Word on the street is that they were caught doing each other in the girls' locker room!" Danielle said excitedly, and Natalie inwardly groaned at the mental image she picked up.

Narrowing her eyes, Kendra glared at Danielle. "Word on the street is that you need to cut back on your calories, fatass," she spat, and Natalie was shocked. She knew the girls were catty and mean toward others, but she had no idea how bitter they were to each other - or at least Kendra was to the other girls.

"Jeez, chill out, Kendra," Natalie said, knowing that Kendra would at least listen to Julia if no one else. But she was shocked yet again when Kendra's hard glare focused on her.

"You've been eating quite a bit lately, Julia. I'd watch your thighs if I were you." Natalie's eyes widened at Kendra's words and she heard Pam and Danielle gasp. She didn't know what to say, but realized she didn't have to say anything at all because Kendra got up from the table with a nasty glare and stormed out of the cafeteria.

"...I totally don't think you have fat thighs," Pam said quietly, eyes wide at what Kendra had said, and Danielle nodded vigorously, showing her agreement.
♠ ♠ ♠
So this was supposed to be out earlier, but as today was move in day I was exhauuuusted. And then I spent most of the evening with my suitemate across the hall in our RA's room... cuz he's a friend of ours and all which is cool.

So yeah.. this is finally out lol And now I hve to get my ass in gear and write some shit that's coming up lol