‹ Prequel: Milestones: Teenagers

Milestones: Commitment

Fittings

Michelle, her mother and sister, and Sarah and Brianna entered the small bridal boutique in town a week and a half later. Michelle didn't really know exactly what she was looking for in a dress, and had enlisted the help of the five others to pick the right one.

"Hello ladies, can I be of any assistance?" the female attendant, whose nametag read 'Cheryl', asked from behind the counter with a wide smile. The girls nodded eagerly. "Alright. Which one of you is getting married?"

"Me," Michelle answered with a soft smile, and not much more was said before Michelle and the others we led toward the back of the store where the dresses were kept.

"Now, is there a certain dress or style that you've already got in mind?" Cheryl asked.

"Um...not really, no. I mean, obviously I want it to be white. But beyond that, I really don't know," Michelle answered, looking around at some of the elegant and elaborate dresses on display. "Maybe...strapless?"

"Okay. All of our strapless gowns are over this way, if you'd like to take a look," Cheryl informed, beginning to head toward a doorway to the left. Michelle nodded before turning to the others.

"If you guys want to get started on the bridesmaid's dresses, you can. This might take awhile," she said with a chuckle.

"What do you want us to look for?" Val asked as she glanced toward one of the racks of bridesmaid's dresses.

"How about you each pick a different dress to try on, and then we'll decide on one?" Receiving a nod from the group, Michelle turned and followed Cheryl, who was waiting t the doorway for her.

"Did you guys find anything yet?" Michelle asked some time later as she headed toward the dressing room with Cheryl in tow, holding on to a few gowns to try on.

"Yup," Sarah answered with a smile, gesturing to the three deep plum dresses hung outside the dressing stalls.

"Oooh, go and try them on now. I want to see," Michelle said, taking an empty seat across from the dressing room doors. Nodding Val, Brianna, and Sarah took their chosen dress and headed into separate rooms. It took a few minutes before they emerged, slowly, one after the other.

Val was stood in a floor length, strapless gown, with embroidering on the bodice and a thin, tight sash around the waist. The material was slightly shiny, but looked rather thick. Next to her stood Sarah in another floor length gown. Hers had slightly thick straps. The material looked very satiny and ruched around the top of the bust, creating a more full-chested look on whoever wore it. It was relatively simple, but Michelle definitely liked it better than the first one. Lastly was Brianna. She had picked a tea-length gown, the skirt asymmetrical as it fell from one side to the other. It was also strapless, and had tiny crystals spreading out in a starburst pattern from the left hip. It was nice, but something about it made Michelle think of Prom rather than a wedding.

"What do you think, mom?" Michelle asked, looking between the three girls.

"I don't know. I think I like Sarah's best," Debbie thoughtfully said, looking the dress over from top to bottom.

"Sarah, can you do a turn for me?" Michelle asked, and the girl nodded, slowly revolving on the spot. "I think I like that one the best as well," she commented, seeing how the back of the dress was rather lot cut. "What do you girls think?"

Val and Brianna looked Sarah's dress over as well, nodding in agreement.

"So it's settled; we'll need three of those in deep plum. Do you have more of them here?" Michelle asked Cheryl, looking over her shoulder at the older woman.

"I'm sure we do. And they can get those on and fitted while you start trying on yours."

"Awesome. I'll get started on that," Michelle responded, looking over the five different dresses she'd picked out that were hanging up. "I'm sure it's going to take awhile..."

"Do you want me to pull this tighter?" Val asked as she pulled the ties on the back of the fourth dress Michele picked out. So far, none of the others seemed quite right.

"Yeah, a little," she answered, feeling the material around her chest was a little too loose. Val complied, and soon Michelle was ready for the three-way mirror.

The dress was strapless, nearly a cream color. The bodice almost seemed like it was a separate part of the dress because of the way it was tailored to the skirt. The bodice and top of the skirt had full embroidering of a soft, flower pattern.

Standing before the mirrors, Michelle was again uncertain. Turning, she faced her audience.

"So?"

"I think the material looks a little bulky," Brianna said bluntly. Michelle nodded--it was slightly glossy, looking like a thinner satin fabric, but had felt thicker while pulling the dress up over her body.

"I actually don't like the way the bodice looks separate, honey," Debbie piped up.

"So we're going with a no," Michelle said with a sign, stepping off the riser and heading back to the dressing room with Val close behind.

"You know, I am so freaking jealous of you," Val admitted as she helped her twin out of the dress. "I wish Matt would propose already. We've been together for like...fuckin'...six years?"

"Maybe he's scurred of commitment," Michelle joked as Val helped her into the last dress. "I mean...I thought Brian would have not been into the whole commitment thing cuz of high school and all that shit, but...that first tour really changed him."

"It did. And as shitty as it was for him, it was a damn good thing," Val agreed, zipping up the side of the dress. "Ooh, I already like this one..." she commented as the girls walked out to the mirrors again.

The final dress was a stark white material with a thin layer of micro-netting for the outer later, giving it a softer look on Michelle's frame. At the bottom of the skirt, the netting was slightly ruffled, and at the waist on the left side, stretched out to the entire bodice as it moved to the right, the netting was ruched. At the very top of the bodice was a line of small, intricate beading.

"I like it," Val repeated as she stood with her arms crossed over her chest. Sounds of agreement came from the other three as Michelle smiled, looking at herself in the mirror.

"I like it too," she mumbled, but then a thought struck her. "I don't know if I'd want to be in a full-length gown all day. Definitely for the ceremony, but I don't know about the reception.... It'll be ridiculous trying to dance in this," Michelle chuckled.

"You could always get two dresses, one for each part," Sarah suggested, shrugging her shoulders. "I mean, you did try on that tea-length one first. That was my second favorite, after this one..."

"What did the rest of you think of that one?" Michelle asked, referring to the tea-length dress she'd tried on about an hour previous.

"I liked it as a dress, I just didn't like the idea of a tea-length during the ceremony," Debbie admitted.

"So I guess I'll get both of them?" Michelle asked more than answered, nodding as she and Val headed once more into the dressing room.

"So Michelle, what do you want to do for your bachelorette party?" Debbie called over the door.

"I don't want to have one, at least not the night before, or at all. I'd rather not be hung-over or throwing up during the ceremony," she chuckled. "I'd rather just have a bridal shower instead. Leaves us less things to plan out. I know Brian will probably have his the night before, but he's much better at holding his liquor, so he'll be fine by the next day."

"Ooh, is he going to a strip club with the guys?" Brianna chuckled as Michelle got dressed in her own clothes.

"No, I think they're having it at Zack's apartment."

"I'm so glad he tells me of these things," Sarah said sarcastically, as she hadn't heard news of this before.

"Hey, if it makes you feel any better Jimmy said he'd pay for the stripper. He says it's his responsibility as best man or something..." Michelle said, leaving the room with her two chosen dresses in hand.

In no time at all they were paid for, and Michelle made an appointment for a few months away, in March, for a fitting to fix minor adjustments.

With every task that was completed, Michelle felt closer and closer to her goal. And she couldn't wait for her day to walk down the aisle toward Brian, and become his wife.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here are photos of the dresses:

Bridesmaids:
Image

Wedding Gown 1:
Image

Wedding Gown 2:
Image