‹ Prequel: Milestones: Teenagers

Milestones: Commitment

Sister Talk

Image

A week later, and one week closer to finishing her sophomore year, Michelle and her suitemates were getting ready to go out. It was a special celebration - Brianna's twentieth birthday - and she and the other four girls would be going to a bar to get their drink on and enjoy themselves for the evening. Michelle really needed it. Her mind wouldn't stop working what with all the cramming for tests coming up in a week, and then there was one more troubling fact.

Michelle had gotten Brian's voice message, and, although surprised, decided that since he'd finally left one she would take the time to listen to it. She could hear the loneliness engrained into his voice, and only felt worse that she was the cause of it. Though she had to keep reminding herself: it was Brian's fault to begin with, not hers.

But something happened when she heard his voice again. She started to remember all the good times they had together - the parties, going to the movies, time spent at the beach. She was especially fond of the memories she had of prom night, and of going up north and having Brian all to herself for the week. She couldn't help but smile at the good times, letting the bad ones fall into the background. Michelle missed having those times with Brian.

She was also intrigued with the decision Brian was allowing her to make. She didn't know what she wanted, but she sure as hell knew she didn't want to never see him again. But she still hadn't called him back, nor had she answered the calls he had promised to follow up with throughout the week. Like Brian, she was unsure of what to say. She dreaded talking to him on the phone, and having the line fall silent, and awkwardness hanging in the static.

When Michelle had played Brian's message the first time, she had to hold back a laugh when he had mentioned her sister knocking sense into him. Leave it to Val to whip the boys into shape. She was thankful for having Val as her sister - she may have been a few minutes younger than Michelle, but she was always looking out for her.

"Michelle, are you freaking ready to go yet? We're gonna miss the first bus!" Brianna giggled from the doorway, knocking Michelle back to earth. She was stood at the bathroom mirror in a deep green tube dress, wearing black pumps as her hair hung around her chest in waves. She set down the tube of mascara she'd just been applying, and turned, batting her lashes at her best friend.

"Yes, I'm ready," she said, going back to her bedroom and grabbing her purse. Everyone else was ready to go, and Michelle would be too, just as soon as she found her phone. Spotting it on her desk she quickly grabbed it, startled when she felt it vibrate in her hand.

Inwardly groaning, she knew she'd see Brian's name on the caller ID, but looked anyway. Surprised, she smiled when she saw it was her sister instead.

"Guys, you go ahead without me. I'll catch up, I just have to take this call," Michelle said, walking into the common room. She heard her friends groan, and smiled sympathetically, hoping Val wouldn't hang up soon.

"You better be there soon," Brianna said, pointing her finger warningly, but the smile gave her away. Nodding, Michelle quickly answered her phone.

"Hello?"

"Jeez, what were you doing? Having sex?" Val's voice giggled down the other end. Rolling her eyes, Michelle sighed, taking a seat in her lounge chair.

"No, I was just about to go out. What are you calling for? Especially with it being so late..."

"You call this late?" her sister asked. "Anyway, I was just calling to talk."

"Uh-huh... What about? Anything specific? Cuz I kinda have to get going..." Michelle said, knowing she'd miss the bus to the downtown area and have to wait fifteen minutes for the next one.

"Did you get Brian's voice message? Cuz he says you haven't called back..." Val said, and Michelle rolled her eyes again, leaning back and crossing one leg over the other.

"Yes, I did, and no, I haven't called him back, nor have I answered him when he calls either," Michelle huffed.

"You know, he's been completely miserable for the past year..."

"Well that sucks for him then, doesn't it?"

"Michelle-"

"Look Val, it's not my fault he didn't try to keep in touch for over a year - Brian's even made that clear. I just don't want this to evolve into another mind game between me and him. Lord knows we've already had our fair share of games..." Michelle mumbled.

"Who said I was going to blame you for anything? I was just calling you to ask you to give the poor jackass five minutes of your time, and talk to him. I know he's been a dick - trust me, you don't even know the half of it," Val said, chuckling ironically.

"...What's that supposed to mean?" Michelle asked, her curiosity getting the best of her.

"Look, when I told you Brian was miserable, I meant it. During the first tour, he fucked up good. Got caught up in all these drugs and wouldn't come back to the van after shows until almost morning. He's made the band late to their own goddamn shows because of the shit he pulled back then," Val explained, and Michelle leaned forward in her chair, feeling the smallest pang of guilt course through her. She did feel bad for Brian if he had to resort to that.

"Val, I don't know what to say..." she whispered, fingering the necklace resting against her clavicle.

"Just say that the next time Brian calls you, you'll answer. Say that you'll talk to him, give him five or ten minutes out of your day. Don't think that I'm on his side now or something, cuz it's not that. I know he was an ass for what he did, but I'm doing this for the good of you both. Please?" Val begged, and Michelle sighed.

"Alright, I'll talk to him. I can't promise it'll be the next time he calls, because he's called me during classes, and I have to study for finals, but I'll talk to him. But right now, I gotta get heading out. I'm supposed to be at the bar by now."

"Okay, go have fun. And thank you, Michelle. Maybe he'll stop moping around now," Val said with a laugh, and the twins said their goodbyes before hanging up.

Paying the cover charge, Michelle flashed her fake ID to the bouncer standing outside and waiting to get her hand stamped before entering. Michael's was dark and crowded, and it took her a couple minutes to sift through the drinks and the dancers before she found Brianna and the others standing at a high table, moving to the music as they shared two pitchers of beer.

"Hey, I'm here," she announced, and Brianna smiled, shouting over the music.

"What was so important?" she asked.

"Brian."

"You finally talked to him?" Brianna asked, shocked, her eyes wide.

"No, it was my sister talking about him," Michelle explained over the music. "But I told her I'd talk to him eventually..."

"Oh... Well, come dance with us!" Bree said, tugging on Michelle's arm.

"No, you guys go ahead. My feet hurt from walking here from the bus stop, and someone's gotta watch the drinks," Michelle said, and after thinking about it a moment, Brianna nodded, going up to the dance floor with Courtney and Melinda.

Michelle reached out to the nearest pitcher and poured herself a cup, feeling the cold, tangy flavor of beer slide down her throat. That phone call with Val made Michelle dread talking to Brian because she still didn't know what to say to him, and now she had agreed to actually talk to him.

Pulling her phone out, she scrolled through her contacts until she reached Brian's. She poised her finger over the call button, thinking maybe she should call him first to get it over with, but then realized it was foolish. She was in a loud club with drinks in hand. She might say something she'd regret.
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo ... Val's playing for both teams eh? haha Ah, well.

xox