Sequel: Angel

The Blank Book

Lord Veldenbarr's New Servant

When they came back, Mike still had the same feeling of emptiness he had had ever since the morning after the vampires had visited him. He didn't feel like talking with Billie and Tre. He found a way out.

"Err, guys," he said, putting a hand to his forehead, "I think I have a headache. I'm just gonna rest for a bit."

Billie looked at him weirdly, but just said, "Okay, see you later."

Tre followed suit and said good-bye also.

As soon as they left, Mike let out a big sigh. He thought over what had happened last night in the book.

'What had Lord Veldenbarr meant when he had said I now work for him? What was that liquid?' A voice, in his head said something. 'You're changing. You're becoming evil. It was all part of his plan. The book was just a trap.'

He sighed again. He was exhausted. He slowly dragged himself to his room and got in his bed. He immediately fell asleep.

***

He woke up and looked at his digital alarm clock: it was nearly midnight. He felt wide-awake. Feeling restless, he climbed out of bed. He decided play his bass guitar. He poured all his anger, anxiety, fear, and confusion of the moment into what he played. He started to play a song he had once heard somewhere. It seemed somewhat fitting since it sounded like his current emotions. When he got to the chorus, inside his head he screamed it.

'Hey megalomaniac,
You're no Jesus
Yeah, you're no fucking Elvis
Wash your hands clean of yourself baby
Maniac, step down, step down, step down!'

When he finished the song he was breathing hard from playing so hard. On a sudden impulse, he set the guitar down and went into the kitchen. He grabbed the book and heard Lord Veldenbarr's voice say, "Come to me."

Mike shut his eyes because of a bright flash of light. When he opened them again, he was in a huge room: the throne room of Lord Veldenbarr's castle. There was a black carpet leading from a door behind him to the throne where Lord Veldenbarr now sat. Vampires lined up on either side of the carpet, facing the bassist. Veldenbarr's personal assistant stood next to him, smiling slightly at Mike's utter confusion.

"Bow to him," she commanded him. He didn't move.

"She said bow," Lord Veldenbarr said.

Against his will, Mike felt himself slowly bow, pain accompanying it.

"Oh, I almost forgot, I never told you my assistant's name. Her name is Kandra. Now, why are you still just in your puny human form? I didn't give you your powers for nothing," Lord Veldenbarr waved his hand at Mike.

Mike hesitated until he felt a slight pain, as if warning him to do as he was told. Reluctantly, and making a show of it, he became a vampire.

"Very good," Lord Veldenbarr smiled. "I bet you are wondering what I meant by you now working for me."

Mike stood there silently.

"Well, that liquid which you swallowed had many properties," Veldenbarr explained, "Not all of which I am going to tell you." He paused. "One is you now have to do what I say, you are under my control."

Mike felt his mouth drop.

'No... '

Two, you are slowly becoming more dark and evil. And three, you are becoming more like a vampire permanently. That's all I will tell you for now.

"The reason why you are here," Veldenbarr continued, "is I need you take care of some rebels in a village near here."

Mike shuddered slightly. He knew Veldenbarr would want him to kill.

"You are going to do this alone as a kind of 'test' to see just how well the potion worked. Understand?"

Mike felt the warning pain and he bowed again, saying, "Yes, my Lord."

"Good, now go. It is a bit north of here," Lord Veldenbarr said, "Kill all but the strongest and most able-bodied. Turn those into vampires and bring them back here."

Mike felt himself bow again before he walked out of the room and then out of the dark castle. He didn't really notice much of it, for he was feeling excited at the thought of what was to come. He didn't realize that he was not himself any more.