Sequel: Angel

The Blank Book

Following Orders

Mike stood out in the courtyard where there were a few vampires milling about. He only saw vampires here, and quite a few. Men and women seemed equal here, which surprised Mike. Obviously Lord Veldenbarr was smart or something and realized that women were just as good as men.

He clenched his fists and closed his eyes. Slowly, two giant bag wings popped out of his back. He took off and flew north, somehow knowing which way it was.

The night air felt good and he felt his blood pumping madly. A strong desire filled him. He felt the need to have blood: human blood. He nearly let out a screech of delight at the prospect of all the blood he would be getting at the village. Only for a brief moment did he pause to think about the innocent villagers he would soon be killing and felt guilty. It was soon gone, and replaced with his eagerness.

He could see perfectly well, even though it was cloudy and both the moon and the stars were hidden. He could also hear more clearly than usual. He was going so fast, he soon saw a village ahead, and knew it was the one.

There were a few men that looked to be patrolling the outside of it, armed with short swords and shields. To avoid detection, Mike turned into a bat and flew downward, perching on a well.

He looked around and plotted. It would be best to pick the guards off one by one before moving into the houses and doing the same with the rest of the villagers. All he needed to do was draw the guards individually to an area by making a suspicious sound.

He found a small, dark space in between two huts where two full-grown people could fit if they squeezed. He changed into a vampire and grabbed a rock from off the ground. He threw it into the small space, before turning into a bat again and landing on a roof.

He watched as a guard came to investigate the sound. As the guard peeked into the crevice, Mike landed silently and changed back into a vampire. He strode up behind the man, without making a single sound. Right as the man turned around, he grabbed the man and covered his mouth with his hand.

Mike almost laughed at the fear in the man's eyes. It was delightful for him to see it.

"Shhhhhhhh, now," Mike whispered teasingly.

The man squirmed under his grasp. Mike slammed him against the wall. He could hardly contain his excitement. Being able to wait no longer, he bent forward and bit the man's neck. As soon as the blood went down his throat, Mike felt bliss and warmth flood him. The emptiness was filled and he even felt a bit strengthened by it.
He almost killed him, but then remembered Veldenbarr's instructions when he felt a slight pain. Mike dropped the man and hid him in the space before moving on.

He repeated the process until he had bit all the guards, making sure not to kill them all the way. He had hid all their bodies until he was done with the rest of the village.
He silently flew through an open window of a house as a bat. As a vampire he stalked through the house. In the first room he happened upon was a woman. It looked like her husband had been one of the guards since the bed next to her was empty. Carefully, he lay down on top of her. The woman opened her eyes, which were filled with fear as she saw Mike.

From her point of view, his eyes were glowing eerily red and his mouth was open in a wide grin. His fangs glinted and there were traces of blood around his mouth.

He put his hand over her mouth. Deciding that she didn't fall under the categories of "the strongest or the most able-bodied", he drank her blood until she was dry.

He moved on through the house and found one other room with three children in it. One boy who was almost a teenager and two young girls. The boy looked able-bodied enough that Mike knew he should keep him alive, but the two girls were too young to be of much use.

He killed the girls first before going on to the boy. By now, the drinking blood thing was almost routine to Mike. He made sure the boy couldn't make a sound, and bit then drank, leaving just enough. He didn't need to worry about hiding any of them.
He moved on through all of the houses, and finished as dawn began to break. As he went around to collect the vampires, some were already conscious. The ones that were weren't happy at all to find out what Mike had done. They were about to beat him up when he silenced them by throwing their leader at a wall with even unnatural strength for a vampire. Their leader went through and was covered in severe cuts and bruises afterwards.

"Now, my orders are to bring you back to Lord Veldenbarr. Anyone who disagrees will end up even worse than him," Mike pointed to the wounded man.

There were a few women among the men and they seemed to be the ones most upset. They kept shooting Mike deadly looks.

Mike soon was leading them back to Veldenbarr's castle, the unconscious being carried by the others, making sure none of them escaped. While he was walking, a wave of guilt overcame him.

'I just killed almost a whole village. I just killed innocent families, mothers, and children. How could I?'

Mike's steps started to falter until he remembered the sensation that drinking their blood had given him. Then he continued onward strongly.