Sequel: Angel

The Blank Book

The First Dream

When they got to the castle, Mike brought them into the throne room. He was starting to feel a bit cocky now.

He didn't bow and said casually, "I brought them. Now can I go back?"

Lord Veldenbarr said in deadly tones, "Insolence will not be tolerated in my court."

Mike suddenly felt a burst of pain that went through his entire body. With every beat of his heart, a new, more painful burst went through his body.

"You did a good job, but that gives you no reason to think you can be disrespectful," Veldenbarr said icily, surveying the group Mike had brought. There were nearly thirty. "And you will be sent back soon."

Part of Mike wanted to scream in pain and he could hardly keep the tears from falling from his watery eyes. It hated Lord Veldenbarr for being able to control him. There was another part that told him to just stand there and to ignore the pain. One final, unbearable burst of pain shot through his body and he couldn't help but let out an ear-piercing scream of pain and rage before passing out.

In his unconscious state of mind, Mike dreamt... He dreamt he was a little boy of seven years who lived in Surtomb. It was nighttime and he was outside with another boy. He was very pale and had black hair that was in his eyes. They were standing in front of a forest.

Mike felt scared, yet thrilled at being out this late.

"Now, in order to be my friend, you need to go in there," the boy pointed to the dark forest, "and fill this jug with water from the stream." The boy handed over the jug he was carrying. Mike grabbed it with trembling hands.

Slowly he walked, trying to stall as much as he possibly could. He was scared of what lied in the forest at night.

"Go on," the other boy said. He was a few years older; so, naturally, Mike wanted to be his friend.

Mike stepped into the quiet forest. He had been in there before, but never alone at night. He stepped on a twig and cringed at the sound. He stood there, waiting for something to happen, something to come out and get him. The only sound he heard was his own pounding heart and his frightened breathing. He knew something was wrong, it being so silent, but he was in too much of a hurry to get the whole thing over with to pay much mind to it.

He continued on towards the stream. When he got there, he bent down and dipped the jug in the ice cold water. The rushing water had broken the silence of the eerily still forest, and it was a soothing sound. As he became calm, he was jerked back by a pair of pale hands. He let out a gasp. He was spun around and he saw that older boy towering over him.

"I have been meaning to tell you something, Drayc," the older boy sneered, "You know those stories about 'vampires'?"

Mike's eyes widened and he nodded in fear.

The older boy grinned and fangs retracted. "Well, they're true." The boy's eyes glowed red. Mike dropped the jug.

The boy slammed him into a nearby tree and Mike felt blood starting to trickle out of the wounds caused by it.

The boy licked his lips and then went in to bite Mike. Mike let out a scream of pain as the fangs went through his neck. He started feeling drowsy. Soon he would faint from lack of blood. Right before he did, he heard people heading towards where they were.

He felt the boy drop him and run.

When he fainted in his dream, Mike woke up as himself.

'What parts did I dream? '

He was covered in cold sweat. Shakily, he got out of bed and walked over to the mirror in his room. For a split second he saw himself as the boy he was in his dream, and then the wounds appeared. After that, the boy disappeared and he saw his own reflection, though it had the wounds. Thinking that he was hallucinating, he put his hand up to his neck where the fangs had pierced his skin in the dream. He was startled to find the wounds there. Slowly, they faded.

Now, there was him, though now he had a slightly maniacal red glint in his eyes. He was grinning and fangs were glistening in his mouth. Dried blood surrounded his mouth. Eventually, that too changed. Now his face had a look of horror upon it. The dried blood remained.

'What was that all about? ' he thought, backing away from the mirror.