Sequel: Angel

The Blank Book

The Book Glows Again

Mike immediately stopped laughing as soon as he heard himself and sat up. He could still remember exactly what it had felt like to drink Marpheln's blood.

He got up and went downstairs to get some coffee. As he was heading to the door, out of the corner of his eye, he saw his reflection. He saw blood around his mouth; it was fresh. Mike nearly jumped out of his skin. He wiped it with one of his fingers and licked it.

'Blood, rich blood.'

Mike glanced at his clock. It was almost 10:30 A.M. He changed his mind; he didn't feel like having coffee anymore. Instead, he took a cold shower in the dark. The temperature didn't bother him in the least.

After he got out and was clothed in some jeans and a blank tank top, the phone rang. The caller I.D. said Billie Joe. Mike answered it.

"Hello?"

"Hi Mike," Billie replied, "Wanna eat lunch with me and Tre at a restaurant?"

"Sure."

"Okay, I'll pick you up at 12:45."

"'k. See ya then."

"Bye."

"Bye."

Mike hung up. He walked into the kitchen and noticed the book was glowing.

'Lovely.'

He picked it up and grasped it tightly.

'So much trouble from such a small thing.'

Mike checked to see what time it was: 12:00.

'I can't wait that long.'

Mike picked the phone up again and pressed the recall button. He didn't have to wait long for Billie to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hi Billie. It's glowing again."

"Oh, you have something going on later so now we have to eat sooner." Billie said in a slightly louder voice than normal, "I guess we should go eat now. Can you call Tre?"

"Yeah."

"'k, bye."

"Bye."

Mike pressed the end call button before calling Tre.

"Hello?"

"Tre, it's time."

"What?! You're having your baby?! I'll get over there and drive you to the hospital!"

Mike rolled his eyes.

"No, the book is glowing."

"What book?"

"The book that gets us to Surtomb."

"Surtomb?"

"The kingdom we are supposed to save."

"We're supposed to save a kingdom?"

"Yes! Now get over here so we can go!"

"What were we talking about again? Are we still going out to eat, 'cause I'm hungry?"

Mike was starting to get impatient now.

"Just get over here, it's very important. And no."

"You're having your baby?!"

"No!"

"Oh. I'm hungry."

"Tre!"

"Okay, okay, I'm coming."

"Good, bye."

"Bye."

Mike hung up the phone and rubbed his temples. That phone call was very stressful, especially considering the simplicity of its original purpose.

Tre did stuff like that, made the simplest of tasks so complicated.

Mike went into the hall to check himself in the mirror. More of his reflection was wavering and there were faint traces of dried blood still left around his mouth. Mike sighed with relief that his eyes were blue. Certainly even Tre would notice if his eyes were red. Maybe.

He scrubbed away the traces of blood with a wet rag and then washed the rag clean. Right as he finished the doorbell rang.

He opened the door and there stood Tre.

"How did you beat Billie?" Mike asked.

Tre grinned. "I was in the car when you called me."

"Why were you in your car?"

"I was getting a potato out of it."

"A potato? In your car? Never mind. But you weren't driving, so that still doesn't explain why you were here first."

"I didn't finish. Anyways, I was getting a potato out of the car when I realized there wasn't one. So, I was going to go to the grocery store to get a sack of potatoes and I decided to take the way that went near your street 'cause it's longer and I was bored."

"Right... You can come in while we wait for Billie to get here." Mike turned and went to the kitchen, shaking his head slightly.

He heard Tre walk in after him.

"You seem different today... " Tre said suddenly, "New haircut? New clothes? New nose?"

Mike just stood there and watched as Tre stated a long list including a new big toe.

"OH MY GOD! I KNOW WHAT IT IS!" Tre shouted really loudly. Mike felt himself lose some of his hearing. "YOU DIDN'T HAVE ANY COFFEE TODAY!"

'Whoa, how'd he know that.'

"ARE YOU FEELING OKAY DUDE?! DO WE NEED TO CALL THE PARAMEDICS?!" Tre started waving his arms over his head.

Mike just watched him, wondering why him not having any coffee was so much of a big deal to Tre. But then again, he was Tre.

"WHY WON'T YOU ANSWER ME?! ARE YOU DEAD?!"

Mike shook his head.

"WHY CAN'T YOU TALK? DID YOU LOSE YOUR VOICE?! OR BRAIN?!"

"No Tre, I'm fine."

"Phew. You nearly scared me to death!"

The doorbell rang again. Tre bounded to the door. A surprised Billie was on the other side.

"Tre, where's Mike?"

"He died. He didn't have his coffee."

Billie Joe just walked into Mike's house. "Mike! Tre just said you didn't have any coffee yet today!"

"I haven't dude." Mike told him when he entered the kitchen.

Billie Joe mock fainted. "A Mike Dirnt that has had no coffee in the past twenty-four hours!"

"Whatever. And why is it we always wait for Tre to go back into the book?" Mike peered out the door. No Tre. "Don't tell me, he had to go again."

Billie groaned.

For a moment, Mike forgot about all the vampire stuff and him turning evil. But that didn't last long.

Billie Joe stared at him and blinked.

The glowing of the book seemed to get more intense.

"Tre, hurry up!" Billie shouted impatiently.

"I'm coming, I'm coming. Sheesh." Tre walked into the room.

The customary flash and sensation happened yet again.