I'll Never Feel Alone Again With You by My Side

Remake

The day was perfect, but I still had a nagging sensation in the pit of my stomach. The brilliant blue sky held no tinge of the dark, stormy grey; and the wind captured and entranced not one bit of the scent of rain. Yet, I could feel a gale brewing. I was sure it was close to home; I just could never have guessed how near.

“Emily Taylor, are you ready?”

“Mom! May I have another five minutes, at least?”

“Fine. But hurry up. You’re holding up the wedding.”

“Can you help me please?”

“Fine. What do you need help with?”

“Uh, if you come in, you will see.”

She pushed open the door, making sure no one else could peer past, and laughed. “You do know you’re supposed to tie the corset in the back, not around your feet, right?”

“Shush and help me.”

“How did you manage this?”

“I’m…I’m not exactly sure.”

My father's voice came through the wood door. “Emily Taylor, Linda, are you two about done?”

“Yes, Daddy, we’ll be done soon. I promise.”

“Good girl, bella.”

“Mom? Can I ask you an honest question, mother to daughter, or daughter to mother, whichever way it is?”

“Of course, honey.”

“Do you think I’m doing the wrong thing?”

“Of course not. What makes you say that?”

“I feel guilty, like I’m betraying Zach or something. I mean, I love him to death, but I also love Alex. And I don’t want to hurt either of them, but I know if I marry Alex, I hurt Zach. And I if I don’t marry Alex and go to Zach, I hurt Alex. Why is everything so confusing?”

“Life is confusing, sweetie. Just do what you think is right.”

“That’s just it, Mom. I don’t know what is right anymore. I hate feeling like this.”

“Don’t think too much of it, dear. Now come on before your father gets too irritated.”

I walked beside my father, the pianist playing the traditional song, and my eyes roamed across the chapel. I saw four of my best friends sitting in the pews, each with their own form of partner. The one who I was searching for was not there.

“Do you, Emily Taylor Yorke, take Alexander to be your lawful wedded husband?”

“I…I…”

The doors in the back opened and caused everyone to turn, including me. Zach stood there, not moving as he stared at me. Alex glanced back at me, and I could see the utter confusion on his face. I shook my head at him, trying to tell him that I didn’t invite him.

“Em, do you want to go through with this?”

I faced the reverend. “I…I…”

Zach walked out of the church and left me to wallow in my mixed emotions. Weeks, months, and even years later, I could still see the expression in his eyes, and it haunted me. I never knew that something like that could break my heart almost four decades later. As I close my eyes tonight, I see my best friend from my childhood and throughout my dreams. He was there for me regardless, and I knew that I would never forget him or the look in his eyes as I said those final two words to Alex:

I do.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this for my creative writing final last semester, and I just found it today as I was going through the files on my school account. So enjoy the different ending to I'll Never Feel Alone Again With You By My Side