That's All She Wrote

Greetings and Long Talks

I laughed out loud as the boy ran around, grabbing people and shouting in their ears, causing them to scream. He came near me, was next to me, went to latch his hands on my shoulders, until...

"Hey! You're new."

I giggled, popped a grape in my mouth. "Yeah."

"I'm Jimmy."

"You're the Great Kimono Monster."

He smiled at me before hurrying off to terrorise other students. A tall shadow fell over me, and I look up to see...

"Well, Mr. Sanders. Long time, no speaky."

"Thought it was you. How have you been?"

"Pretty good. Where the hell is Val?"

"She's still in the school."

"Growl. Kimono Monster!"

"Hey, Mat. Hey, New Girl."

"Jesus Christ, they suck."

Val sat next to Matt and smiled at Jimmy without even blinking an eye at his insane outfit. When she saw me, she squealed and hugged me tightly.

"Damn, where the hell have you been?"

"Home, but Mom shipped me here."

"How's your dad?"

"He's doing better. He's regaining his motor skills."

"That's great. I see you've met Jimmy."

"The Great Kimono Monster."

"Yeah, sure, whatever."

Jimmy walked with me to my next class---which, during break, we realised we had together---and led me to a table in the back. Suddenly, a sharp pain shot from my shin through my leg.

"Ow!"

I glared at Jimmy, who was laughing, and kicked him back. His shout of surprise gave me a sense of satisfaction and started a foot war, but the teacher's decision to send us to the principal's office caused both of our grins to fall off our faces.

"Thanks a lot, Kimono Monster."

"It's your fault, New Girl."

"No, it's yours."

"Are we even going to the office?"

"I don't wanna."

"Then let's don't."

"Fine."

We linked hands and ran down the halls. A teacher pressed against the wall as we sped by; she began yelling after us. Jimmy grinned when we sat out on the front lawn.

"You're different. I like it."

"Thanks. You're pretty cool yourself."

"How do you like Huntington so far?"

"It's pretty normal in a weird way. I mean, I'm used to structure, so this is cool."

"So why are you here?"

"My mom and dad divorced when I was twelve, but they remained friends. My dad was in a small accident so Mom and I moved in with him till he's better."

"That's cool."

"Yeah. So, Mr. Kimono Monster, what's your story?"

"As to what?"

"Anything."

"Okay. My name is James Owen Sullivan---call me by my whole name, I'll kill you. I'm sixteen right now, but my birthday's in a few weeks. My parents hate me, but what can you do about it? Oh, and...my worst fear is losing the ones I've always needed."

"My greatest fear is falling in loe."

"Why?"

"It's just scary, y'know? You grow up, become independent and self-sufficient, then turn around and realise you're basically like a pig in a slaughterhouse. Born and raised till you're good and ready, then condemned to hell. It freaking sucks. Plus, I'm afraid that if I fall in love and lose him, I won't be able to make it through my life as well as I did beforehand."

Jimmy was silent for a few moments as he stared at the ground. Finally, he took a breath and said, "If you live in fear, you'll die in pain with regrets."

"If I live cautiously, I won't make mistakes."

"If you don't make mistakes, you'll never learn."

"If I never learn, I'll nver feel the shame."

"If you don't---"

He was cut of by the chatter of students streaming out from the exits. He smiled at me, gathered my hand in his, and led me inside to my next class.
♠ ♠ ♠
<cue super-hero music>
new story!

=]

spread the poison