That's All She Wrote

Nightmares and Late-Night Visits

Image

Amy's Point of View

After Jimmy left, I cleaned up the kitchen and went to my room. An instant message window was up on the screen of my computer.

fraudulentdisaster: hey ames what's up?

fraudulentdisaster: you're probably eating dinner so IM me when you're done.

dontxletxmexdie: hey sweetiepie. sorry you're right...i was eating anyway...what'cha up to?

fraudulentdisaster: not much...just thinking

dontxletxmexdie: about?

fraudulentdisaster: matt...i DO love him and i never want to let him go

dontxletxmexdie: so don't

fraudulentdisaster: i won't...so did you and jimmy, oops i mean GREAT KIMONO MONSTER have a good dinner?

dontxletxmexdie: oh shut up. =] yeah dinner was fun

fraudulentdisaster: you're a doofus.

"Amy, you need to get ready for bed."

"Alright, Mom."

dontxletxmexdie: hey i've gotta go see ya tomorrow

fraudulentdisaster: alright night dearie

dontxletxmexdie has signed off

My dreams were plagued with images of that rainy night that we got the call. I had been waiting by the front window, getting more and more irritated with every minute that passed; my mother had been finishing up the dishes. She'd laughed at my impatience.

"Honey, your father will be here."

"He should've been here by now."

"Ames, calm down. Can you get the phone?"

"No."

"Fine. Hello?"

I had jumped to my feet as my mother slumped to her knees; the voice on the telephone was asking if she was alright.

"She's fine. What's going on?"

"You and your mother will want to come up to Hope of Trinity Hospital immediately. It's about a Mr. Peter Maysen."

"We'll be right there."

I had driven; my mother couldn't even walk on her, she was so stunned. She was shaking hours before the doctor had even came by, and I was sipping at stale coffee. That was when the doctor had told us that my father would make it. However, in my dreams, he had never given us the good news. He had never showed up. A stretcher had rolled by, a body covered in sterile white. I'd pulled back the sheet to see my father, so cold and lifeless.

I jerked awake and struggled to find my alarm clock. It read 3:22 a.m. I stared at the cieling, wondering why I'd woken up. A quick, light tapping on my window begged for me to open it, and a tall form slipped in quietly.