That's All She Wrote

And the Difference Is Me

"Jimmy? What are you doing here?"

He faced me, and, in the dim rays from the moon, I saw a large bruise crawling across his face; I gasped aloud.

"Amy, please, sh. I don't want your parents to wake up."

"What happened?"

"It doesn't matter. Can I just stay here till school?"

"Yeah, sure. You can slep in here. I'll sleep on the couch in the clay room."

"No. I'll sleep in there."

"No, I will."

"Just sleep in here with me."

"Okay."

When he finally drifted into unconsciousness,, it was four a.m. I sighed and rolled over to face him. His cheek was continuing to sweel, but that didn't stop him from looking almost angelic with the moon filtering through the window and landing on his sleeping form. I crawled out of my bed and signed onto my messenger.

fraudulentdisaster: oh my god ames have you seen jimmy?

dontxletxmexdie: yeah, why?

fraudulentdisaster: he just left his house and now his parents can't find him

dontxletxmexdie: what's going on?

fraudulentdisaster: hey amy, its matt wheres jimmy?

dontxletxmexdie: WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!

fraudulentdisaster: jimmy and hs dad got into a fight and his dad got pissed at something jimmy said soooo his dad hit him jimmy ran

dontxletxmexdie: yeah I know where jimmy is, but why would i tell?

fraudulentdisaster: is he there?

dontxletxmexdie: i dont harbour runaways

dontxletxmexdie has signed off

"Jimmy! Oh my God, your parents were so worried!"

Jimmy pushed past Val and Matt, storming into the school, and people stared at him. Not his cheek, no, but his clothes. I realised then that no one was used to seeing him in anything but a kimono or a robe. Val gave me a quizzical look, but I shook my head and followed the taller boy.

"Kimono Monster, talk to me."

"About what, Amy? How my mom and dad can't stand to even look at me?"

"I'm sorry."

"You've got a good life. Parents who love you, wonderful cousins, and a nice house. I have nothing. Why waste time or emotion on me?"

"You have more than nothing, Jimmy. Unless you're saying I don't mean any-fucking-thing to you."

"No, I didn't mean it like that."

"So what do you mean?"

"Besides you, I have not a damn thing. If I didn't have you by my side, I'd be the same hopeless kid I've always been."

"But you do have me, so you're not the same hopeless kid you've always been."

"I know. And I thank you for that." He paused. "Um, would you maybe want to hang out after school sometime?"

"Sure. You know where I live."

"Cool."

He picked up my hand and brushed a finger across the knuckles. I smiled at him and rested my head on his shoulder. Even though the bell rang, even though kids were pushing around us, even though a teacher yelled at us to get to class, we didn't move. We sat there, watching as life passed us by.