‹ Prequel: As Time Went By
Sequel: The Best Inheritance

Anticipation

Chapter 1; Jimmy

Image

Shaking his leg as he awaited the flight that would take him to his final destination, a tall and lanky man sat hunched over in a fake leather and metal chair. Stopping the shaking suddenly as he felt his phone vibrate in his hand, he looked down at the illuminated screen and grinned, the piercing under his lip flashing in the light with the movement. Vibrant blue eyes shining brightly, he ignored the rest of the bustling airport around him as he flipped the screen that would reveal the written words around to his live of vision.

How close are you to home?

Grinning even wider than he already had been, his fingers flew across the tiny keyboard of his phone to reply, shaking his head at the usual cuteness of her absentmindedness as it made him miss her even more. Waiting for the reply, he kept the shaking of his leg in time with a beat running through his head.

I guess you already told me that about ten times today, huh? lol Things are ready here at home…

Images of the woman that was texting him flying in front of the eyes of his memory, the man quickly typed a reply in and looked up at the others lounging around the area. Feeling eyes staring at him, he turned and caught a glimpse of someone hauntingly familiar behind him. Turning around fully, he shook his head once he got a full-on good look at the person.

Knowing that it was wishful thinking that she would materialize right before his eyes, he looked back down at his wildly moving phone, his eyes rounding when he saw the reply that she had sent back to him.

What do I always have ready for you when you get home?

Shifting in his seat as yet more thoughts clouded his mind and more pictures raced across it, he groaned in frustration. Asking her what would deviate from the norm this time, he quickly flipped the screen to his phone around, leg still shaking, only this time in anticipation instead of the boredom he had once felt.

That’s for me to know and you to find out, although it does involve a bit more…shall we say…personalization?

Michevious smile streaking across his long face, the man holding the phone that had kept him in contact with the woman that he had loved for years let a small sigh escape from his pouty lips. Tattoos flashing as he hurriedly shoved the sleeves of the shirt he wore to his elbows he quickly typed a reply back. Waiting anxiously as his plane was being called over the loudspeakers he grabbed the bag that was in between his feet.

If I told you where it was, you’d know what it is…three hours isn’t going to kill you…

Head snapping up from his phone as he was jostled, the man looked around. Narrowing his eyes at the shorter man that quickly avoided him, he hefted his bag in his long and tattooed fingers, slinging the strap over his shoulder. Getting his ticket out of the pocket that he had shoved it in, he absently rubbed his lanky chest after shooting off another reply.

I think you’ll want to stay alive for this one at least, I promise it’ll be worth the wait. ;)

Begging for any kind of a hint, he handed his ticket over and strode off down the walkway that would lead him to the inside of the plane that he knew was basically a tin can that would hurtle through the sky. Ignoring the vibrating of his phone in his hip pocket as he tried to locate his seat, he climbed over a muscular man beside him grunting that he was sorry as he felt a toe of a shoe under his foot.

Settling into the small chair, he pushed the elbow of another man beside him off of the central arm rest as he tried to dig his phone out of his pocket. Staring at unflinching brown eyes rimmed in black when he narrowed his own blue ones at the protests, he grinned when the brown ones looked away.

By now you’re on that plane which means that there are three hours and ten minutes until you’re home and through the front door, you can wait.

Muttering under his breath as the muscular man beside him picked his bag off of his lap, the man smiled his thanks as he saw that it would be stowed into the overhead compartment. Looking up and straight ahead, he stared into a pair of calming green eyes and sighed upon being asked if the seat back could be lowered. Waving the owner of the eyes on, he adjusted his long and lanky frame in the even tinier space that he was allowed and shut off his phone as instructed to do so during the flight.

Eyes popping open as the plane began its final descent into his home airport, he eagerly looked out the window at familiar surroundings he hadn’t seen in months. Anticipation flowing through his veins, he quickly stood when they were allowed to and vaulted over the person in the seat next to him. Hearing the raspy voice ask what was on fire, he looked over his shoulder as he slung his bag across it, smirked and all but ran down the tiny, narrow aisle of the airplane and out into the terminal.

Fishing keys to a vehicle that he knew she would have waiting for him, he strode purposefully towards the exit hearing the others he had been traveling with calling his name. Ignoring them, he continued on the course that he had walked before and out into the bright and warm sunshine of home. Breathing deeply as his eyes scanned the parking lot, he only hesitated briefly before finding the mode of transportation that he knew would be there.

Jabbing the keyless remote entry that he had clasped in his hand, he gave not a thought to the two large duffel bags that were meandering around a baggage carousel. Throwing the messenger bag he carried across the seats, he settled his frame behind the steering wheel anxiously ramming the key into the ignition. Feeling and hearing the powerful motor of his truck come to life, he pulled the gear shift into reverse and hit the gas not looking behind him. No other thought than rushing home was going through his mind at the moment and a little thing like a person walking behind him wasn’t going to stop him.

Running his fingers along the hot steering wheel, he held it in a tight grasp as he reached out to flick the radio on. The wild and crazy music greeting his ears that he preferred, he smiled as he placed his hand on his thigh and fought his phone out of the pocket of the tight, black and well-worn jeans that he had on.

Powering the device, he saw that he had an incoming message and flipped the screen up and over. Throwing the phone when he saw the two words I’m waiting… shining up at him, he kicked the truck into a higher gear and skittered through a light that had just turned red. Careening around a turn that led him to his home street, his eyes scanned the area not noticing any changes that had been made to the neighborhood he hadn’t seen in the past two months. Jerking the truck into the driveway, he cut the engine and climbed out not bothering with his keys, bag or phone.

Long legs eating up the distance from driveway to front door, he took a deep breath and pushed it open, the door having already been cracked slightly. Eyes whipping around the foyer and then living room as he walked through, he caught a whiff of her scent and started to climb the stairs, skipping every other one as he went.

Senses leading him to the last room down the short hallway he took a deep breath and stuck his head around the frame, pleasure, love and relief swamping him as he saw the sight that greeted him. Pulling the shirt that he wore over his head as the woman who had haunted his dreams stared up at him from black satin sheets, her lips curved as she lifted her arms toward him he stood and hovered over the bed, dropping the shirt on the white carpeted floor.

Gazing down at her tanned body, his eyes roamed over her smooth skin seeking out the surprise that she had spoken of. Eyes resting on the fresh ink that graced her skin, he dropped to the side of the bed and reached out a finger as he breathed in her scent and the candles that were placed around the curtain-darkened room. Feeling her shiver when he touched her, he gazed into the eyes that he loved, repeating the one word that was tattooed across her heart in his mind. Lowering his lips to hers, he captured her gasp of pleasure as his he moved his whole hand to cover the tattoo that was simply his name: Jimmy.