The Protectors

I Wish I Was Crazy

I heard someone hammer on the door. “Billie?” Mike called through the door. “Billie, are you in there?”

“Yeah,” I replied, opening my drawer up again and stuffing the book in. I couldn’t tell him. He would think I was crazy and I didn’t blame him. In fact, I even thought I was crazy right now.

“Can I come in?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said. I went over to the door, taking a deep breath before opening it.

Mike opened the door and I saw a concerned and confused look on his face. I tried to act normal and casually walked over to the bed and sat down on it, relaxing.

“Why’d you run in earlier?” Mike asked, getting straight to the point. “You looked like you had seen a ghost.”

I gave a weak smile, thinking about how close he was. Both were thought not to be real, both were things that weren’t really living. “I just was feeling paranoid,” I said, which was the truth. “I ran back here and now I realize how stupid I was.”

Mike looked at me, and I could tell he didn’t believe me. Luckily, he didn’t press me further. But knowing him, he’d probably ask me about it later, some other day in the near future.

“Okay,” he sighed, turning to leave.

When he left the doorway, I laid back and sighed with relief. I knew I wouldn’t be able to hide it from him for forever. We were best friends after all. Even Tré would probably figure out that something was up too after awhile. I glanced over at my drawer, thinking of what was inside. I still wasn’t a hundred percent sure if I believed it. I even thought that I was going crazy and had been hallucinating earlier. It was all just hopeful thinking. If everything in the book was true, that meant that everything I thought I knew wasn’t as it really seemed. It also meant that pulling Mike and Tré in might put them in danger...I might be in danger. After all, I had just kicked a vampire in the nuts.