Wish You Were Here

Glad You Are Here

One Year Later

The weather couldn’t have been any more perfect; it was ideal for our wedding day. Planning this wedding had been so easy, much easier than the other ones I’d planned. We’d done it together, Tre and I and all through the plans we’d laughed and joked and had really enjoyed the occasion, something I’d never done with the other guys I’d been with.

I could feel the sun beating down on my head but the cool breeze through the trees seemed to counteract the heat making it seem such a perfect day, and it was.

I felt great, I’d worn a simple white cotton strappy dress and my hair had been pinned up by Sara. I was carrying a small bouquet of cream roses and Sara had also done my make up as she was good at that sort of thing.

I was standing next to Tre, he’d just taken his warm hand in mind and was gently stroking my hand again like he always did. We’d shared a small glance and once more I noticed how brilliant blue his eyes were the same colour as the lake, the lake we were standing alongside, the very place we’d met, the very place we’d shared so many secrets, so many thoughts and aspirations.

And this was the place we’d chosen to be married. It was Tre’s idea and I couldn’t have agreed more. Their tour was finished and had been a huge success for them. Now they were on a break to decide what to do next with their career.

Before the priest started speaking I stole a quick glance around me, just seeing who was there joining us for our special day. Alongside Tre were both Billie and Mike acting as his best men. He had difficulty deciding between the two of them so of course he’d had to have them both.

We’d had a great year, I’d stayed on tour with them after all, doing their hair, and changing it slightly as the tour had gone on. We’d had such fun in the end and it had been like all those years ago with a little bit more maturity and knowledge thrown in. Billie and Adrienne were still happy and Tre and I had a lot to thank them for.

Mike had finally met someone special and she was here today, her name was Brittney and he loved her so much. He’d had her name tattooed on his arm; a huge step for him so I knew when he’d had it done, proudly showing us all it was something serious. I hoped she realised how much she meant to him and I just hoped it worked out for them. He deserved it.

Both our parents, standing together, were beaming all over their faces. They were so pleased when we told them; it was as though they’d been waiting all this time for us to get together, they weren’t surprised; it was though they thought it was inevitable.

Then I could see Sara, standing alone as usual. She’d always be alone; I realised this now, she’d be one of those great old aunties without children but with loads of money to spoil everyone else’s with. I felt for her and wished she’d just meet someone and settle down but I didn’t really think it was her style. Had she really fallen for Tre after I’d gone? How did she feel about him now? I felt sorry for her, she’d obviously realised what Tre was like, just like I had, finally realised what he was really like. She’d never experience anything like it and I knew how very lucky I was.

Alongside Sara was Adrienne and her boys, her belly swollen, swollen with my child. Mine and Tre’s. I never thought this would happen, I was to be a mother and to my very own child.

When I’d gone through the experience in Scotland, they’d frozen some of my eggs and told me that I may want to use them sometime in the future but of course, after the experience with Clive it was something I hadn’t really thought about. I’d even forgotten but I remember explaining all this to Adrienne, that night when I’d told her everything and she’d offered there and then. She said if ever I meet someone and want to have a baby, she’d have the fertilised eggs put into her body for me. So she had, as soon as I’d told Tre he said it was up to me, if I wanted to go through with it then he wanted to too. Of course Billie had to be consulted about this but he encouraged it, he wanted to do it for me.

I’d never be able to repay them, this great gift they were giving me. I loved them both.

And I loved this gorgeous man standing beside me, dressed in a crisp white shirt, open at the neck. This guy who started off as my best friend in the entire world, the guy who I could tell anything to and knew I still could.

The day after we’d told everyone we were to marry Billie asked me something. I remembered that moment well.

“Hey Jules,” he’d said. “Isn’t it weird being with Tre, isn’t it like fucking your best friend or something?”

And I remembered how I’d answered him.

“You know Billie, if you’d have told me about a year ago that this was what Tre and I would be doing it would probably have grossed me out but now…now it’s the most natural thing. Its just right.”

“You should have got together years ago,” was all he’d said and I knew he’d gone along to ask Tre the same sort of question and Tre had given him the same sort of answer.

This morning I had been talking with Adrienne, we were laughing and joking about all sorts of things, about when we were younger and what we’d got up to then suddenly she looked serious. She brought up the phone call that I’d made to her just before I flew home again, before I’d left Scotland.

“Remember you were scared to tell Tre you and Clive had split up?” She said fiddling around with my hair, not looking at me.

“I remember. Stupid wasn’t it?” I said. Yeah I couldn’t tell Tre the real reason, worried about how we’d judge me.

“Very. I didn’t understand it Jules, you told each other everything.”

“May be deep down I had feelings for Tre back then, I didn’t realise how much I missed him when I was away. Of course he’d been away before and so had I but not like that, not indefinitely and not knowing when I’d see him again. Clive didn’t like how close we were and I think that’s one of the reasons he suggested going back to his home land.”

“Really?” Said Adrienne, frowning at me.

“Yes. He brought Tre up in quite a lot of conversations; he didn’t like what we had. He’d often caused arguments about Tre I used to tell him he was being ridiculous.”

“You always did have something special you two, you were always together, like a couple, laughing and joking between yourselves, sharing things, I’m so glad you’re marrying him Jules. Its perfect.”

“I’m glad too,” I said and I couldn’t wait to marry him, the person that knew me better than anyone else ever would.

So he was marrying me, right this very moment, his hand in mine, his eyes upon me, I was marrying my best friend in the world, and as our song played low in the background I knew we’d probably never sing that song over the phone again, “Wish You Were Here,” was something from our past and now we were looking to the future, we were having a child in two months and I knew that Tre would be by my side forever.

I didn’t have to wish he was here because he was here and I knew he always would be, just like he’d always been.

The End