Wish You Were Here

What Have I Got To Lose?

I was nearing the studios when I realised that I had booked an appointment with Sara to get my hair done. I checked my watch, remembering that the appointment was for 2pm. I had plenty of time to get to her salon, half an hour in fact I thought as I turned back on myself and headed off in the direction of Sara’s.

She was at the desk at the front of the salon and the door made a pinging sound as I opened it. She looked up at me over her glasses. I hated it when she looked like that, it made me feel inferior.

“I need something doing, desperately,” I said to her. I looked at Sara, she was immaculate, not a hair out of place, nothing and she was still looking at me over those rimless glasses that must have cost about as much as my car just did.

“I know you do, I noticed you yesterday, I’ve never seen your hair this bad,” she said coming round to the front of the desk and holding a piece of my hair between thumb and forefinger with a disgusted look on her face like she was holding a smelly, dirty sock or something. I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

“How come you let it get into this state? You have three inch roots.”

“I know, its as though I’ve been away on another planet,” I said giving in and placing the heavy bags onto the floor.

“Yep, you said it honey,” she said still examining my hair. I hated being scrutinised so I tried to change the subject away from my hair.

”And while I’ve been away on another planet, you’ve been busy with chocolate chip man,” I said remembering what she had told me about getting it on with some guy who could ‘do things’ with chocolate chip ice cream. “Hey you’re not blushing are you?” I said.

“No, now come on over to the sink and we’ll wash your hair, its foul,” she said obviously not wanting to talk about chocolate chip man. I was dying to know who he was.

“Stop going on about my hair will you? I’m here now aren’t I, and why won’t you tell me anything about this chocolate chip sex god?” I said plonking myself onto the chair.

“I’m not telling you a thing, he was married at the time, remember?” she said. “Now get your head back into the sink,” she said.

I didn’t want to let up on the subject.

“I’m surprised at you, him being married at the time, which means he isn’t now. May be you could pass my info onto him, chocolate chip is my favourite.”

Mine and Tre’s actually and I couldn’t quite begin to count the number of chocolate chip ice creams we’d shared between us.

As I sat up after Sara had washed my hair my mind was suddenly distracted by a young vision in front of me. This has got to be Vincent I thought to myself.

“Caught you looking,” said Sara as she wrapped a huge warm towel about my head.

“Who wouldn’t look?” I said, still gawping.

“He’s gorgeous isn’t he?” said Sara.

“Mmmm, not bad,” I said whilst checking out this good looking guy who was cutting someone’s hair, his arms working away, a floppy fringe over his eyes and his arse, well, it was the best arse I’d seen in a very long time.

“You’re making it obvious,” said Sara.

“Am I?”

”Yep, you and all the other women in here, just take a look around,” she said.

I did and she was right, nearly every woman in the place was stealing glances at Vincent.

“He’d do you good you know,” said Sara walking over to one of the mirrors and indicating for me to follow her.

“As if he’s going to be interested. He wouldn’t look twice at little old me,” I said to her and looking up at her in the mirror as she started combing my hair through.

“Well, when I’ve finished with you he won’t be able to help himself,” she said.

“Oh stop it will you,” I said to her as I let her work her skills and I had just one more look towards Vincent.

“I love it,” I said and I did. She’d trimmed all my dead ends, put layers in and coloured it with some golden and dark highlights. “Thanks Sara, I needed that,” I said smiling up at her.

“I know you did, now I think you should get out of those old jeans and put on something new that you’ve bought.” She said. “So get out the back and change into something that suits you.”

So I did, I went out the back, changed into some more up to date jeans and put on a touch more make up. I felt great; better than I had in a long time. A very long time.

When I came out into the salon Sara was standing there.

“You look wonderful honey, and you’ve put weight on in just the right places, it makes you look more curvy,” she said to me looking me up and down. I didn’t mind, Sara could say anything to me.

“Thanks,” I said. “Tre mentioned something about now he can call me ‘fat bitch’ or something,” I said collecting up the rest of my bags.

”Tre’s a fat bitch himself,” said Sara.

“Why can’t you and he get on?” I said to her. “Now he likes chocolate chip ice cream too,” I said laughing but she didn’t even smile. She really must hate him deep down I thought.

“Oh and by the way,” said Sara, tweaking at my hair just slightly, “while you were getting changed Vincent came over and asked me who you were.”

“What? Stop messing around with me.”

“He did, he said he’d like to take you out for a drink,” she said looking over her glasses once again.

“Really?” I said not quite believing it.

“Yes. Really. Don’t underestimate yourself,” she said to me.

I looked over but Vincent had gone.

“He’s gone for his break but I said I’d pass your number to him and he’ll give you a call.”

My stomach suddenly felt full of butterflies thinking of the young attractive and muscular Vincent actually liking me.

“Shall I?” said Sara.

“Shall you what?” I said fumbling around with my shopping bags.

“Give him your number?” said Sara impatient with me

“Why not. What have I got to lose?” I said, shrugging.

I felt good when I left the salon, I felt good within myself, the best I’d felt in ages as I walked along with a spring in my step. Everything was going to be OK after all then I thought about Clive and the bastard he had been. I didn’t want to think of him, it was over, well and truly and tonight I would tell Adrienne all about it. I needed to tell someone and Adrienne was the one.

When I got to the studio doors I stopped and listened. It took me back to the very first time I heard these guys play. They were called Sweet Children back then and their music sent a tingle down my spine. It still did. Every time I heard something new of there’s it almost shocked me as to how good they could play, how good, original and talented. I loved them very much.

The first time I heard them was on our trip to the Gilman. That first trip that Tre and I took together turned out to be awesome and we went back so many times afterwards that I’d lost count…

I hadn’t slept very well since I’d seen Tre and her, Mrs Hamilton together.

I wasn’t sure as to how I feel about the whole situation and I hadn’t seen Tre since that one time when he’d told me that he’d been with Patty Smith but somehow I tried to avoid him but was still continuously getting these images in my head of his butt moving up and down. Having sex.

What was it like? Tre knew.

I’d remembered talking to him about IT ages ago, a year ago it must have been before ever he’d even tried it.

The first time he mentioned it I was embarrassed but he just laughed and told me to stop being stuck up as usual.

He’d said that he couldn’t wait to try it but then I said it would have to be with someone special, wasn’t that what IT was all about?

I remember him laughing and saying that I had a lot to learn. I still thought he was wrong. I wanted my first time to be with someone I cared about. May be even the person I was going to marry.

So now Tre knew what IT was like and I didn’t. I wanted to ask him about the details but that would be even more embarrassing.

I’d definitely been avoiding him and he must have known. He left a message with my parents to say that we could definitely go to the Gilman together and watch a few bands and that we could stay together at his uncle’s house.

Mum and Dad were fine about me going and I definitely wanted to go but I knew that the next time I saw him I’d also think of his arse bobbing up and down pounding into her. I hid my face into my pillow trying not to think about it.

“Are you OK honey?” said Mum. I was slumped in front of the TV.

Yes, fine thanks,” I mumbled back to her.

“Aren’t you getting ready to go away for the night with Tre?” she asked. “Have you packed your overnight bag?”

”Not yet. Are you sure you don’t mind me going?” I said looking over at her as she busied herself plumping cushions that she’d probably just plumped about five minutes before.

“Of course we don’t mind, Tre is a sensible boy and your father thinks Larry Livermore has been a good influence on him.”

“Oh. Him.” I said.

“What don’t you like about him?” asked mum stopping her plumping.

“Nothing. Its just…”

“Its just you being silly that’s what it is. Come on Julie, Tre is going to be here in twenty minutes with Larry. I suggest you get yourself moving,” she said.

I just shrugged. There was nothing to it now. I did want to go but I didn’t want to face Tre.

“Hey, I like your jeans,” Tre said to me after I’d opened the door to him and turned and bent to get my bags.

“Thanks,” I said. I’d said goodbye to my parents earlier so just shut the door behind me and watched Tre put my bag into the back of the car then he went and sat in the front seat alongside Lawrence and I just slid into the back.

“Hi Julie,” Lawrence said, “How are you?” Why did he call me Julie? That always pissed me off; Tre had introduced me to him as Jules.

The club was amazing and the band, Sweet Children were playing as we arrived. The place was crammed full of people having a wonderful time.

I couldn’t hear Tre speak although his face spoke volumes. He loved it here, he’d been a couple of times with Lawrence and kept on and on about me coming along too.

After the show I was so hot I needed to get a drink from somewhere so Tre took me backstage and the guys from Sweet Children were standing there.

“Hey Tre,” said the tall one, the one that I’d seen first when I’d stood and watched the stage earlier, the one playing the bass guitar.

“Oh hi Mike, let me introduce you to Jules,” said Tre straight away and pushing me in front of him.

“Is this the Jules?” said the other guy, darker and shorter.

“Yes. It is the Jules,” said Tre.

“Hi,” said the taller guy and holding out his hand, “I’m Mike.”

“And I’m Billie,” the shorter guy with dark wavy hair said. He shook my hand and it bloody hurt. My immediate thought was that he had to prove himself by being a tough guy, being so short and all and it also looked as though he had some attitude going on.

“We’ve heard all about you,” said Mike looking down at me.

“Oh right,” I frowned and looked over at Tre, “what on earth have you been saying about me?” I said to him.

“Just that you’re his best friend and that he couldn’t wait to show you this place,” said Billie. “What do you think about it here?”

“Its amazing,” I said. What the fuck was Tre doing telling them all about me? I didn’t think there was anything to tell; he always said I was stuck up.

“So how long have you guys been playing together?” I asked.

“Ages. Mike and I have known each other for years now,” said Billie holding out a cigarette pack to me. I took one. “Thanks,” I said. He offered the pack to both Mike and Tre and they both took one too. Mike was the only one with a lighter and as he put the lighter up to the cigarette the side of his hand caught against my cheek and made me feel weird.

“Thanks,” I said taking a puff. Mike’s eyes were bright blue and full of fun, I could just tell.

I could feel Mike’s eyes on me every now and then but I didn’t feel uncomfortable with it, it made me feel good like a warm sensation within me.

“Where are you guys staying tonight?” said Billie.

“We’re at my uncle’s place, not far from here,” Tre answered.

“Why not come back to ours instead?” said Mike. “We’re having a few people over, come and stay, we have loads of room.”

Tre looked over at me.

“What do you think?” He said looking at me as if it was all my decision.

”Its fine by me but you’d better just let your uncle know.”

“Of course, I’ll go and call him now,” he said heading off.

“Hey Jules, Tre seems to act normal when you’re around,” said Billie.

“What do you mean normal?” I queried.

“He usually acts like a clown when he’s with us,” said Mike.

“Believe me, he acts like a clown nearly all the time when he’s with me.” I said. Yeah Tre was a clown.

“Yeah but he seems kind of different tonight, don’t you think Mike?” said Billie looking up at his friend.

“Hmmmm hadn’t noticed myself,” said Mike who was still looking at me and made my butterflies return.

“Did you know Tre has a slot here booked for next week?” said Mike suddenly.

“He didn’t tell me,” I replied.

“It was meant to be a surprise for Jules,” said Billie looking at his tall friend.

“Oh shit I forgot,” said Mike who blushed slightly at his stupidity.

“Its OK, I’ll pretend I didn’t know,” I said trying to make Mike feel better about the situation.

My heart warmed all of a sudden thinking about how Tre had always wanted this. He must have known for a while and I’d been avoiding him. He must have been desperate to tell me but instead he’s kept it to himself. I’d been foolish. This was Tre here, so what if he’d fucked Mrs Hamilton. He was probably offered it on a plate.

“So you two will have to sleep on the floor in here, you OK about that?” said Mike.

“Fine with me,” said Tre.

“Of course it is, we’ve been camping together loads of times, it will just be like that,” I said then we laughed together.

“Except there’ll be no spiders here thank goodness,” said Tre.

Mike looked slightly put out about something I noticed but heaven knew what
It was already 3am and we’d had quite a lot to drink and smoke. We’d sat around chatting for hours and I really liked these guys. Tre liked them too and I could see they thought a lot of Tre. Their drummer had gone home ages ago.

“We’re touring soon,” said Billie.

“Really? Where?” I said to him enjoying the enthusiasm coming from him.

“Well, we’re going to be away for a good three months so we’re trying to get in as many places as possible,” he said.

“Oh my god, that’ll be amazing,” I said.

“We’re very excited,” said Billie taking a puff from a joint. I noticed that Mike and Tre were having joints too but I hadn’t had one, no doubt making Tre think that I was even more stuck up.

When the guys went off to bed Tre and I settled down onto the cushions that were on the floor and then got under the quilt that the guys had provided for us.

“Night Tre, no farting,” I said to him turning my back towards him.

“Who? Me or you?” said Tre laughing and I could feel some movement alongside me as he got himself comfortable.

“Me? I don’t fart,” I mumbled into the cushions.

“You fucking do and they’re worse than mine, its like a rat has got up there and died or something,” he said.

“Night Tre,” I said smiling to myself.

I woke but didn’t have a clue what the time was as I couldn’t read what my watch said in the half-light. I could hear Tre breathing gently, slightly snoring but not too loud. As I turned over I must have disturbed him then he was awake but kept his back to me.

“Morning,” I said but then all of a sudden Tre was up and out of the bed, his back to me as if in a real hurry. I’d never seen him move so fast.

Oh shit I thought, I hope he’s not going to throw up everywhere. He probably had too much to drink and those joints didn’t help. No doubt I’d have to help clear it up.
He seemed to be gone a while so I lay on my back looking up at the ceiling, my eyes travelling over to the curtains once again; it was brighter now that the sun was up.

Then Tre appeared, pink cheeked in the doorway.

“Are you OK?” I said to him. No he hadn’t been sick, he was usually paler than that if he’d been sick.

“I’m fine,” he said sheepishly.

“You rushed off, did you throw up or something?” I said frowning.

“No… no, just needed to pee urgently,” he said getting back in beside me but I noticed he kept well over to his side of the quilt.

“Hey, those guys are awesome,” I said to him turning to face him but he wasn’t looking at me.

“Yep, they are, aren’t they?” He responded.

“What’s wrong with you?” I said to him. “Has something pissed you off?”

“Nah. Just tired that’s all, may get some more sleep,” he said and with that he turned over and away from me.

Suit yourself I just thought.

Tre lay there facing away from Jules. He was embarrassed because he’d woken up with a hard on and had to hurry off to the bathroom before Jules could see it. He was shocked because while he was in the bathroom with his hand wrapped around himself, pumping away he couldn’t stop seeing the vision of Jules laying next to him in just her t-shirt and skimpy underwear.

What was he playing at? His dick was starting to rule his life.