The Warrior

Chapter Three

"Get up!" the King screeched.

Nia lay on the ground, her hand on the gash the king had inflicted. She panted heavily now as she looked up at Galbatorix. The sun shone brightly through the large window and the glare was so strong that Nia had to shield her eyes just to see properly. This allowed the blood from her arm to pour freely onto the marble floor but she didn't care. She had been taught to channel her emotions into anger and this she did now.

Standing up she channeled fatigue into fury and pain into power. Nia lunged at Galbatorix, sword poised expertly. However, she'd been sparring for nigh on six hours. While at the beginning she may have been able to draw blood, she was no match for the king now. With a flick of his wrist he managed to send her sword flying. Taking advantage of Nia being utterly defenceless the king muttered audr, causing Nia to rise up and be thrown across the room. Once again, Nia lay broken on the floor.

"That is enough for today I think," the King murmured. A quick word from the ancient language healed any broken bones Nia might have, but no more. "We must concentrate on your use of magic in combat. You do not play to your strengths. Magic will always be your most important weapon. Remember that."

With that he swept from the room without a backward glance.

***

The sun had set before Nia was able to move again, if painfully. She used a sock as a tourniquet for the cut on her arm, rested her bruised cheek against the floor in an attempt to cool it and let her legs lie limply, aware that any movement would cause her to shriek in agony.

Finally, Nia staggered back to her cell. Coarse bread and the usual bucket of water were there when she returned.

Why she continued to live in the castle she did not know. Galbatorix may know her true name but not once had he specifically said she could not leave. At least, she had no recollection of this and that was permission enough to go. Nia realized this but knew the King would be able to find her within the farthest corners of the Empire. Something clicked in her mind then and a wonderful truth graced her thoughts. The farthest corners of the Empire. That was it! Several choices were open to her now. Nia could escape from Alagaƫsia on a ship from Kuasta, seek refuge in Surda or pass Hedarth - the town marking the end of the Empire.

The warming smile which had set Nia's face aglow soon faded. Now that she had thought of escaping the King was bound to put more restrictions on her the next time he examined her mind. Plus, any possibility of escaping soon was out of the question, at least until strength allowed her to heal her injuries. She may be stronger than any being or fellow hybrid in the Empire but she was not foolish enough to think that made her stronger than the King.

Resigned to fate, Nia began to heal her wounds as well as she could despite the wave of fatigue that was waiting to envelope her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Took me forever to put this up! However I will take this chance to tell people where the story is heading and, not what to expect, but some things they might need to know. First off: I mention in this chapter "fellow hybrids". Yes, Nia is a sort of hybrid. She is shunned by a particular race for the frivolity of her mother - they are very protective over their children usually but they do not view Nia as one of them so she does not receive the same protection. Her mother is alive but is forbidden to track down Nia. Nia's father was a witch and took great care of her until she was 6 when he was brutally killed by Morzan and Zar'roc.

As of yet I'm not sure if I want to put a definite description of Nia into the story. I like it when readers make their own description. Nor will I put in a description of Galbatorix until Chris gives one himself. Also, if you've read this then I would be interested in knowing if you've read Brisingr. I will assume you have and if not then I'll most likely put spoiler warnings on future chapters containing information gained in Brisingr.

Thanks for reading! Consructive criticism regarding my story or writing style is welcomed.