The Warrior

Chapter Four

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

Nia jolted awake and shot upright as if a shock ran through her. Her eyes darted around the room. Her heart beat as though it would burst from her chest. Then she heard it again.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

She let out a gasp and covered her ears; it was louder this time. Quickly, she forced herself to calm down and to figure out the source. Extending her mind she felt the presence of three others in the dungeons. Two were near death but one was agitated. It was a he, that much Nia could tell and she could feel his emotion but that was it. After that there was a solid barrier separating the two of them. Confusion furrowed Nia's brow and she pushed harder on this man's barriers. Immediately the sound stopped. Nia felt the barriers contract tighter around the man's mind which only encouraged her. She continued for two minutes poking and prodding before a scream broke the silence.

"Stop it! Whoever you are just stop it now!"

The scream halted Nia's investigation. The scream came from the cell next to hers. It was that boy, Morzan's son. Before she could stop herself she jumped on top of the stone ledge that served as a "bed" and peered through a gap into his cell.

He was standing with his back to the wall next to the door. There was a small sharp stone in his hand. What was he trying to do?, Nia thought. Crack the hinges? He looked terrified. Nia felt an emotion welling up in her chest. She didn't recognize it. Once again, in the space of five minutes, she was confused. She felt a desire to help the boy. As soon as she felt it she wanted to repress it. He's the son of a murderer.

Nia stood on the ledge gazing in at him. He didn't move, he just stared into space. Nia didn't bother to break the barrier in his mind again. She didn't want to. Suddenly the boy looked up. The gap in the wall was large enough that he was able to see Nia too. With a short gasp she whirled around and sat down under the gap so he wouldn't be able to see her.

Nia's acute senses told her that he was walking over to try and see in the gap.

"Hello?"

The voice was muted and controlled; very different from the scream that had escaped him earlier.

"I know there's someone in there. I don't go insane that easily." He gave a harsh laugh. Was he laughing at himself? Was it disbelief at what he said?

Nia felt a mixture of emotions. She felt rude for not answering him. She felt confused that she wanted to help him. She felt angry because his father had killed hers. However, that wasn't anger at him was it? Nia had to admit that it was not. Hating to concede to that she knew that she could not pre-judge him. With reluctance she stood up to reply.

He was still trying to see in the gap when she stood. He raised his eyebrows when he saw her and Nia wished she could penetrate his barrier to know what was running through his mind. That was frustrating.

"Hello."

Nia tried to sound intimidating. And failed horribly too. What would the King think of her if he saw her quailing at an unmet foe? She didn't know what to say. Did he know his father had ruined her life?

"Who are you?"

"My name's Murtagh. I live here in the castle."

Nia laughed bitterly.

"Right. In the castle? Then what are you doing locked up in a dungeon? Are you completely sure you don't go insane quickly?"

Murtagh's face darkened and he almost glared at Nia. There was a restraint present as if he was trying to prevent tears.

"Forget it."

He disappeared from view leaving Nia startled for the first time in her life. What the hell did I say? She didn't waste any time trying to apologize or strike up a conversation. He was a strange boy who made her feel uncomfortable. He was nothing. Yet, if he was nothing, how could he prevent her access to his mind? What if he's really powerful? Nia contemplated that idea and realized that if it was true then he would be a better ally than foe.

She would have contemplated more about Murtagh. She would have thought for hours but her next practice with the King was approaching. That thought drove Murtagh and his power from her mind. Instead she strove to protect her own mind from the battering it was about to endure.
♠ ♠ ♠
OK... Be honest. Yay or nay? Is my writing style good? How about my trueness to the original story? What I am most interested in is how I can improve. I would be so glad if you could comment/review.