Status: 7/16/2013: Updated, next one is scheduled for Friday!

The Heart Never Lies

Chapter Ten

"Danny, that's my bag! Grab it! Grab it!!!" Danny reached out for the neon green suitcase about a second too late. It slipped away from us mockingly as it disappeared into the other side of the luggage carousel for the fifth time. I shot him a look, but he only smiled and shrugged sheepishly.

"I tried."

"Sure you did," I said sarcastically. When the bag reappeared, I nearly tackled it to the ground, pinning it with my knees. "Who's the fast one now?!?!" Apparently my outburst had been a bit loud. People edged away from me slowly, Danny included.

"What? The bag was evading me," I said simply. Danny faithfully returned to my side and helped me up, taking my bag.

"Let's get you some coffee, eh?" I nodded in agreement. My phone started to ring.

"It's Mum," I said after checking it.

"Go ahead and answer it then. I'll go get the coffee." I smiled in thanks.

"Hello?"

“Hello, Sweetie. How was the flight?”

“Ugh, I don’t think I've ever had worse jet lag,” I said with a frown.

“You sound grumpy. I bet you didn’t get enough sleep last night.”

“Yeah, you’re right. I’ve got a massive headache right now too.”

“Aww, I’m sorry Addie.” I could hear the frown in my mother’s voice. “But I’ve got to go now, work starts soon. Call after you get to Rainbow’s flat, okay?”

“Okay, Mum, I will. Promise.”

“I love you.”

“Love you too, Mum.”

“Your coffee, madam.”

“Oh, thanks, Danny.” I smiled weakly and sat down. “Ugh, not getting sleep is really not good for me,” I said with a laugh.

Danny said nothing but chuckled instead.

After ten minutes or so of waiting, I could tell Danny was getting a bit impatient.

“Hey, uh, did your friend say what time she was coming?” He suppressed a yawn as he spoke.

“She should be here any minute, actually,” I replied, scanning the crowded airport.

“What does she look like?”

“Umm… she’s shorter than me, has long brown hair… she’ll most likely be wearing black.”
“Oh, I think I saw her at Starbucks.” Danny pointed at the small café shop, and sure enough, there sat my American friend.

Huh. What are the odds of that?

As soon as I saw her, she looked up and saw me, waving with a small smile. She got up, drink in hand, and met us.

“Hey Addie,” she said, smiling warmly through her tired eyes. “And this is?”

“Oh, this is Danny.” He smiled and stuck out his hand for a friendly handshake.

Rainbow stared at it, as if it were a poisonous insect that might attack her at any moment. Danny’s smile faltered, but Rainbow quickly shook his hand. She then took a small bottle of Purell from her purse and swiftly disinfected her hands.

“It’s nothing personal,” she explained to a very confused Danny. “I always keep a bottle with me because everything is so dirty and gross. Plus, I kinda need it because my immune system is much weaker than most. A simple cold could keep me down for weeks.”

“Then why did you move here? Addie said you and your sister are from South Carolina.” Danny wasn’t being snotty or anything like that. He was just curious and genuinely interested.

“Windsong fell in love with this city when we visited one summer. I came so I could start my business. A few months later, a friend came up to help me. She lived with me at first, but later she moved in with Windsong to help with the rent.”

And of course came the awkward silence that manages to creep up in every conversation.

“Well, now that I have safely delivered the precious cargo,” said Danny with a sarcastic grin, “it’s time for me to go. I’ve got another plane to catch.”

Rainbow frowned.

“Danny, that’s a lot of plane for one day. You should at least spend one night here; get a good night’s rest. Come stay at my apartment; you can sleep on the couch. It folds out into a bed.”

I have always loved how kind-hearted Rainbow was.

Danny thought for a while.

“I’ll cook you breakfast in the morning,” she tempted with a smile. Danny’s stomach grumbled right in cue.

“Well, I don’t want to intrude or anything…”

“It’s just for one night, Danny,” I reminded him with a smile. “If it were an intrusion, she wouldn’t have offered.”

“You are coming,” said Rainbow sternly. “I know sleep deprivation when I see it.” Danny laughed.

“Okay… thanks, I guess.”

“You’re welcome,” she replied with a smile. Danny helped me with my bags as Rainbow hailed a taxi. We piled into the car after putting my luggage in the trunk. Not too long after Rainbow told the driver our destination, I fell asleep. Shortly after, we were there.

Rainbow’s apartment was fairly small as it was directly above the candle shop she ran and owned.

It had one cozy kitchen, two bathrooms, two bedrooms, and a small living room. She and Windsong told me that it reminded them of a college dorm. I couldn’t pass any judgment on this statement because I’d never seen a college dorm before.

Danny didn’t even fold out the couch before he flopped down on it. It wasn’t long before he was snoring, already in a deep slumber.

Rainbow and I exchanged muffled giggles.

“He looks like a child,” I whispered. She nodded in agreement.

“Okay, here’s your room.”

It was small, but it was the perfect size for me. There was a twin-sized bed against the wall, across from the sliding door closet. Its doors were mirrors on the front. Across the room from the single window, which was above the bed, was a small desk alcove. I opened the drawers and found that one had two packs of paper. Another had a small assortment of pens and mechanical pencils, along with lead and eraser refills. A third drawer contained Hello Kitty stationery: paper, pens, pencils, envelopes, erasers, and even stamps and stickers. I tried not to laugh too loudly as I checked out my Hello Kitty goodies.

Rainbow suddenly appeared in my doorway, already in her pajamas. She smiled, amused by my own amusement.

“Do you like them? Layla picked them out.” I assumed that she was the friend that’s now living with Windsong.

“How did she know I liked Hello Kitty?”

“Well, we, meaning Layla, Windsong, and myself, went shopping for you – just little knick-knacks to help you feel more at home here.” I smiled. Rainbow and Windsong’s thoughtfulness would never cease to amaze me.

“We called your mom to find out some more little trinkets that you like, but we didn’t really learn anything new,” she said with a small laugh. “But Layla actually picked out the Hello Kitty stuff. I think her obsession slightly eclipses yours.”

We giggled, but I interrupted myself with a yawn.

“Goodnight, Addie,” said Rainbow with a smile.

“Goodnight, Rainbow.”

I could hear her small, light footsteps as she went to her own room, the click of the light switch as she darkened her room. I did the same, and didn’t even change clothes.

I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.