Status: 7/16/2013: Updated, next one is scheduled for Friday!

The Heart Never Lies

Chapter 14

I nearly dropped my phone in my haste to call my brother. My trembling fingers finnally kit the correct buttons and I impatiently urged him to answer the phone. "C'mon, Tom..."

"Heyyy, Addie! It's been awhile, how are-- "

"Tom, I have some really interesting news," I interrupted.

"Well, I've got some good news. But you go first, interesting is always better." I was curious about what news he could have and it temporarily distracted me.

"It's not always better. It could be bad news, just not boring bad news."

"Is it bad?"

"Well, not really, but--"

"Then why don't you go first?" He quipped.

"Because I don't want to," I countered.

"Fine, then I'll go." I waited for his news, but only silence came.

"Well?!"

"I'm making a dramatic pause!"

"Oh just get on with it!" I hissed into my mobile. Puss Puss looked up from his arduous task of grooming and eyed me hesitantly before resuming.

"God you don't have to be so bossy," he whined. "You ready?"

"Yes!!"

"We're working on a new album," he revealed gleefully.

"Oh, oh that's great!" I felt like running outside and announcing it to the world, but one of the things I'd learned about New Yorkers was that they didn't quite appreciate screaming and shouting. "Oh my gosh, do you have any songs written yet?"

"A couple, yeah. Danny's got some pretty good stuff so far."

"Awesome, what about an album name?"

Tom laughed, loving my excitement. "Nothing yet, but we've got a few ideas. I've said enough, now it's your turn." He was determined to bring the focus back to me.

"Well.... It seems as if one of my friends is a fan of McFly," I said almost grudgingly.

"Oooh, what she look like? She's fit, yeah?"

"Tom." Ugh, boys.

"I'll take that as a 'yes.'" He sounded so smug I just had to bring him down a notch.

"What makes you so sure they're a girl?"

"It has to be. You've never made any guy friends other than us." I hated how completely right he was. I was trying to make some kind of comeback when the bathroom door began to open. I quickly hung up on him before Layla saw me on the phone. I didn't want her to ask about who I was talking to-- my lies are about as transparent as air.

"Hey, Addie? Can you help me with something real quick?" I left my comfy spot on the floor and nervously followed Layla's voice into her room.

"Sure, what's up?"

She was in her pj's and had two outfits laid out on the bed. "I have a date tomorrow night but I still haven't chosen what to wear yet. I narrowed it down to these two, but I can't wear both."

"No, I guess you can't," I agreed with a laugh.

The first outfit was very feminine. Her off-the-shoulder top was tucked into a blush coloured mini-skirt. The shade of pink went nicely with the top's floral print. She had a pair of cream coloured sandals next to it. The second outfit was much more casual: a graphic tee over a pair of cut-off shorts paired with converse and a pretty necklace.

I was possibly the worst person to ask, having absolutely no dating experience and I wasn't afraid to tell that to Layla.

She laughed. "Addie, it doesn't matter! I just need a second opinion."

"I dunno, the first one, I guess." I couldn't refrain from shrugging. Layla nodded and draped the chosen outfit over her desk chair then put the reject back in her closet. As she did this I took a quick look around her room.

It was a little messy in that papers and books were scattered everywhere, accompanied by the occasional T-shirt or sock. She had a well-loved teddy bear on her bed and a few posters on her walls, but I didn't see McFly on any of them. I did spot Doctor Who, however, along with Star Wars and some other geeky references. That'll be fun to tell Tom about.

Layla invited me to stay a little longer, but I decided to head back home. I told her I didn't want Rainbow to stay up too late, waiting for me, but we both laughed at that. Rainbow had a habit of seeing all hours of the night. Layla and I made some quick plans about getting together sometime so I could get some pointers before starting work then I left so I could think some more about teasing my brother.