You Promised

First and Final Chapter

I watched her blonde hair float behind her as she made her way across the ballroom. Her face was paler than normal and her eye lacked the luster they once held. Small and scared, she made her way across the room, occasionally stopping for a second to greet someone and thanking them for coming. She didn’t speak with much emotion. She was tired, and it showed.

Finally she came to an exit door and walked out of it without looking back. I followed her into the chilly parking lot. She didn’t stop walking there. She continued until she reached the little park on the corner of Fourth and Main. She proceeded to sit on an icy park bench that was just so familiar. I noticed it was starting to snow.

“I remember when we met, on this very park bench. You were bold. You sat beside me and struck up a conversation out of the blue. I thought you were kind of crazy. Then you grew on me.” she said quietly.

“I remember.” I whispered, sitting down on the bench beside her. She wouldn’t look at me and I noticed that she had a piece of paper in her hand, but I couldn’t see what was printed on it.

“I miss those days when I could would feel your arms around mine and know I would be protected forever. Now I’m not so sure of that. Why did you have to do this Lew?” a few silent tears fell like snow flakes from her soft face.

“I never meant to hurt you, Kat. I love you. I love you.” I whispered back, placing my rough hand upon her disconsolate face. She jolted aback quickly.

She didn’t speak for a while. I didn’t either. Lately, anything I said she seemed to refuse to listen to. After a while she turned her attention to the piece of paper in her small hands. For the first time, I could see the print on the pamphlet:

Lewis Jacob Miller
Beloved son, friend and fiancé.
June 12th, 1981- January 28th, 2007


I could see the hurt in her eyes as she read it over and over to herself to try and convince herself that I was really gone.

“Kat! I’m not gone. I’m right here! I love you. I promised you I would never leave you forever and I meant it! Kat! Listen to me!” I screamed, tears brimming and burning their way out of my eyes. She couldn’t hear me no matter what I did.

Kat took one last look at the paper before casting it away and whispering one last thing:

“You promised.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy the one shot. If people like it, I might make it something more. Who knows.