Anna Morris

Anna Morris.

"Annie!" A girl screamed.
"Mel." Came the weak reply from inside the rubble and car wreckage.
"Annie!" Melinda pulled off a sheet of metal and found her best friend in a pool of blood, covered in scratches and cuts. Melinda looked at her pale face. "Oh shit."
"It's okay." Anna said weakly.
"No, no." Melinda said, tears coming hot and quick. "You can't go Annie. Not after this."
"Mel, do you remember that Friday I came back?"
The rain poured down as she stared out the window and sighed. Just once she wished it would be a sunny day that she felt sad. But no, it was always in the rain. Always in the rain she contemplated her feelings. Anna had called. She was coming back home. After running away for 6 months, not answering her phone or sending any messages what-so-ever, she was coming back. Melinda didn't know how to feel.
The door bell rang.
"I'll get it." Melinda said to herself, bolting to the door, it was Anna. "Jesus Ann, I knew you were coming, but that was quick." She smiled her familiar small half-smile.
"You must hate me." She said.
"Yeah, nah. Why didn't you text me back? and more importantly, why didn’t you tell me?"
"I... I needed space. I needed to find out who I was I guess. Look, Mel, I’m really sorry." Anne started to cry, two bright tears slowly racing down her pink cheeks. "I was, I really wanted to. I just ... "
"Well, your here now. Come on, stop winging, your forgiven." I said kindly, making her laugh.

"Take your own advice Melly." And she stopped with a smile on her face and a siren ringing in her ears.
"No Anna, don't go!" She screamed. "NO!"
And the rain poured down.

The waiting room was bright. Mel, Annas parents and her four-year old brother Toby were all waiting. They didn't know what to expect. They all still hoped.
Suddenly, a doctor came out from another room. Anna was pronounced dead. Annas parents hugged each other, both thick with tears as Toby clung to Mels leg, upset and confused.
"Melly, when’s Annie coming?" Toby asked softly. Annas mum started to howl with misery. Mel took Toby by the hand and into the room next door and crouched down. "Will she come back like she did last time?"
"Toby, Ann has gone away. And this time she will never come back." She said, blinking tears from her eyes. "She's somewhere beautiful, surrounded in Lillies and water and green, green grass. And in the middle of it all there’s a huge lake full of swans and clear blue water and lillies."
"Ann likes lillies." Toby piped in.
"And in the middle of it all, she’s swimming," Mel continued "And shes talking to all the Angels." She whispered, her voice breaking.
"Is she in heaven?" Toby asked, tears spilling from his large brown eyes as he hugged Melinda. She picked him up and hugged him back, burying her face into him.
"Yes Toby." Mel said as the tears started flowing. "Ann is in heaven."

Everybody was in black. Annas mother and father were saying goodbye to their only daughter. It was a bleak Friday.
Then it was her turn.
"Ann, I was your best friend and I always will be. You meant the world to me, and I feel like my heart has been ripped from my body." The heavens suddenly opened, soaking everybody present to the bone. A single tear swept down Melindas face. "Those who are here, and those who you left behind will never forget you. You touched us all, from the time you were born, to the time you laied eyes on each of us, to the time we were told you had departed." She bowed her head and said silently I love you Anna Morris, and I always will.