Pavestones & Happy Endings.

Pavestones & Happy Endings.

Falling, falling.
The now-familiar feeling washed over and under me. It caressed me gently, like a calm ocean current, and at the same time, it ripped through my soul like the fires of hell. There was no way to explain it. No way to let them know how hard it was to never die.

“Why did we die?” A voice questioned.

“Where do we go?” Another implored.

“What is this?” Panicked.

“It’s coming for us…you can’t escape it.” Dread filled his heart.

“Is this heaven?” A child asked.

Wait…who said that?” I questioned the nothingness. Somebody knew something. Something that shouldn't be known.

“You can’t escape it. It’s going to hunt you forever.”

Who are you?

“Help…I’m lost.” Another child.

Who are you?

“There is no point in asking. I wouldn’t answer you even if I knew.”

I’m going now. Back.” I said with a hint of defiance.

“I’ll see you the next time you die, Jack Harkness.”

The feeling of being hauled back from the dead pained me, but cleared my mind at the same time.
I stood up, scanning the familiar scene that had unfloded. Suzie had the gun pointed back at Gwen. Gwen was trembling, stuttering. Breaking down, no matter how hard she was trying to deny it. No matter how much training she had, it still came down to Suzie and a gun. She was scared. Tears were pouring from her eyes as I stood.

“Put down the gun.” I ordered. Suzie looked startled. I’d never seen her with that look on her face. Not when we took her in, not when we told her everything. Not when I’d made her second in command. Never. Gwen had a look of utter astonishment on her face, as well as one of relief. She was to be saved, and that was all that mattered. Suzie, the girl we had taken in, the absolute genius. “Suzie, it’s over.” I held out my hand, to take the gun, or to take her. I wasn’t sure myself. “Now, come with me.”

She didn’t want to go with me. She didn’t want to forget it all. She’d rather be dead. It happened too fast for me to stop her. She turned the gun on herself. A gasp fell from the saved woman’s lips.

“I remember.” Pure emotion, product of two long nights, suppressed memories and of near death. “I remember.” She repeated. Gwen…she wasn’t meant to remember this place. What we did and who we were. She wasn’t meant to know, she was meant to be saved. To live a normal life…to not know this.

Gwen fell to the floor, tears and shudders.

The poor wind lightly tugged on my jacket as Suzie’s blood ran into the grooves of the pavestones.
I didn’t know what to say.
What to think.
What would Suzie have thought of the Rift?