The *** of Gerard Way

Psychic

A smokey haze filled the room before Gerard. His eyes wandered around the small room of the small shop.

There were two doors; one on his left, and one on his right. He wasn't sure which one to choose.

He stood there for a moment, then decided on the door on his right.

He approached the door and stared at it for a while. He didn't really know if he could walk through walls or anything like that. Ghosts usually did... at least they did in the movies.

Slowly, Gerard reached for the doorknob, unsure of what was going to happen. His fingers tingled as they touched the cool metal. He jerked his hand away in surprise.

"That was wierd," He muttered to himself. Maybe he really could go through walls.

He tried again. This time, he flung his hand full force at the doorknob.

"Ow!" Gerard yelled in pain. He clutched his bruised hand to his chest and winced.

Okay, so he couldn't walk through walls.

Suddenly, the door opened.

Gerard was surprised to find no one there. He shrugged and entered the room.

A strange odor immediately wafted into his nostrils. He looked around the room.

A table stood in the back. An old woman sat at the head of the table. Her head was buried in a book.

Gerard took a step toward her.

"You've come." She said without looking up.

Gerard stopped.

"No, I can't see you," She sighed. "I can only hear you."

Gerard stood there for a moment, unsure of what to say.

"Please," The woman gestured toward a chair. "Sit down. You can still do stuff like that, you know. Of course, you should know that by now, since you were sitting on a park bench only 20 minutes ago."

Duh.

Gerard wanted to smack himself. Why hadn't he realized that before? Maybe if he had he would have saved himself some pain.

The woman smiled.

Gerard felt goosebumps on his arms as he sat next to the woman. He had never really believed there were psychics or anything like that in the world. But sitting here in front of this lady... He could practically feel her reading his mind. Besides, he was a ghost. Anything could be possible.

"You have a question." The woman set down her book. It didn't even come out a question. She said it like it was a fact.

Gerard nodded.

"I can't see you." The woman gently reminded him.

"...Yes..." He said.

The woman waited.

"..What.... What's your name?" He asked.

The woman smiled warmly.

"My name," She said. "is Lola."

"Lola." Gerard repeated the name to himself. "I'm Gerard." He knew he had already introduced himself to her in the park, but he didn't know she could hear him that time, so it didn't count.

"Hello, Gerard."

"Do... Do you know why I'm still here?" He stared at the table in front of him. "I mean, shouldn't I be in hell or... 'resting in peace' or something like that?"

"The keyword is 'peace', Gerard." Lola blew a strand of her graying brown hair out of her eyes. "You can't rest in peace if you yourself are not in peace."

"Wait..." Gerard lifted his head. "You mean like.. my spirit is 'disturbed and cannot rest until it is right again?'"

He'd seen some kind of a show like this on TV.

"Exactly." Lola nodded. "Some spirits feel like they've got something to prove and they can't rest until they prove it."

"But what do I have to prove?" Gerard asked her.

"Only you know the answer to that one."

Gerard had to stop himself from rolling his eyes. This was beginning to sound like the Matrix.

"But... but why me?" Gerard's voice was soft and serious. "What did I do?"

"Oh, people have different reasons to kill, whether it be out of anger, vengeance, or just plain lunacy."

Gerard tried to think back to the day he died. Nothing came, except Mikey's face. He really missed that kid. His heart filled with anger as he thought of how lonely he must feel.

"Why?" His voice was louder now. "Why didn't they think of anyone but themselves? Didn't they think that I had a little brother that can't possibly cope with this?"
Gerard clenched his fists. He'd never be able to talk to his brother again, or smile at him, or even so much as ruffle his hair. He felt miserable.

"Gerard," Lola said calmly and softly. "You weren't the only choice."

He knew he sounded selfish. People got killed every day. But he never thought it could happen to him. Never.

Lola had spoken so quietly that Gerard almost didn't hear her.

"Wait.. I wasn't the only choice?"

Lola shook her head.

Gerard let the words seep into his veins. There was someone else. His killer could have killed someone else.

"Only he chose me." Gerard said, hatred filling his voice. "Who was his other choice?"

"He could have killed you," Lola sighed.

"Obviously." Gerard sat back and waited for Lola to say the name. The name that could have saved his life.

What she said next stunned him entirely.

"Or your brother."