The *** of Gerard Way

Sick or Sane

Of course Gerard wasn't there. He was dead. There was no possible way that Gerard could have yelled at him if he was dead.

Yet, in the very back of his mind, he was almost sure it was Gerard.

Bob looked around him. He made his way toward the living room.

"Is anyone there?"

The silence around him was killing him. He didn't know what was scarier; Someone hiding in the apartment, or no one there at all.

He checked behind the couch, almost hoping someone would jump out and yell, "Fooled you!" Even though that would be the cruelest joke ever, he would be relieved.

Listen.

The silence was starting to scare the shit out of him.

---------------

He had done it. Bob actually heard him. But how?

"Bob." Gerard said out loud.

Bob was unfazed.

"Dammit!" Gerard grunted in frustration. He was back to square one. How had he done it?

He tried retracing all of his steps. He was standing next to Bob at the sink, trying to concentrate. Then he got mad and yelled at him. Maybe that was it, yelling.

"Bob!" He yelled as loud as he could.

Nothing.

He groaned and kicked the wall.

"Ow, Goddammit!"

Gerard fell to the floor and clutched his foot. He bowed his head down and sighed.

Well, at least he could still feel.

Gerard's could feel the beating of his heart. Which was strange, because he thought that dead people shouldn't have pulses. Yet he could still feel the rapid beating in his chest.

Maybe it was the mere memory of a heartbeat.

Memory.

Gerard's head shot up.

Memory.

Right before he had yelled at Bob, he had been thinking of that week after Christmas. How Bob had hit his arm against the table. At that moment, Bob had been staring at his left arm. The same one that he had hurt.

Memory.

Gerard took a deep breath and closed his eyes.

So many memories... but which one?

He thought about the one of the first major concerts he and the band had played with Bob as their drummer. Afterwards, they had all gone backstage to celebrate.

"That was amazing." Bob had said as he threw himself on the couch. Gerard had plopped himself right down next to him.

"Yeah... that was... great." He had been so tired.

Bob stared up at the ceiling.

"I could die happy right about now." He said softly.

Gerard stared at Bob and sighed.

"This really is the life, isn't it?"

Bob nodded.

"If I died, I would want everyone to remember me." Gerard had said thoughtfully. "And if not, I would come back and haunt you until you told everyone about me."

Bob grinned at that part.

"You'd scare the shit outta me if you came back to haunt me."

"Well, as long as you won't haunt me, I won't haunt you."

Bob snickered.

"That doesn't make sense."

Gerard laughed and socked him with a pillow.


It was wierd thinking about that, because now that he was dead, he was actually kind of haunting Bob.

Bob had seated himself on the couch. He looked scared as hell.

Gerard felt pained to see him like that. He wanted to go and hug him right there and tell him everything was alright. But he couldn't. He knew he couldn't.

Bob leaned back and closed his eyes. It looked like he was trying to wish everything away.

"It's me, Bob..." Gerard said softly. "It's only me."

---------------

Bob sat on the couch and closed his eyes. He remembered that one night when he and Gerard were backstage, talking about death, and haunting, and all that stuff. Why were all these random memories popping into his head?

Bob leaned back and felt the coldness of the room seep into his skin. At that moment, he realized how cold it had gotten.

He got the feeling that he wasn't alone.

"It's me....it's only me."

Bob's eyes shot open.

Holy shit.

He sat upright and stared at the empty apartment. He swore he heard it. But... it was different this time. It was like he had heard it in his head. Like somebody was in his head.

"Who....who's there?" Bob's voice hung in the air.

His heart was racing as he stood up.

"Don't be scared... please."

Bob whirled around. It sounded like it came from behind him.

"L-leave me alone!" Bob said shakily. But.. he didn't want it too... whatever it was. There was a familiarity about that voice. It made him feel at home. Just like Gerard did.

"Bob... please..."

Bob freaked out.

It knows my name.

"Just... go away." Bob felt himself backing into a corner. "I don't know who you are and I don't care... just leave me alone."

"It's me.. you know it's me."

Bob froze.

No.

No fucking way.

"No... you can't be who I think you are.. he's dead... just stop bugging me and go bug someone else."

[i"]You do know who I am!"


The voice sounded happy... giddy almost. And so familiar.

He could feel him. He could feel him right there in the apartment room. It was the craziest shit ever, but he did.

"G...Gerard?"

Yes! Yes! Thank you, God, he knows who I am!

Bob listened in amazement as Gerard-Gerard himself-laughed and cried in joy.

"Gerard..." Bob said hesitantly. Was he going crazy? Was this all in his head? Or was it real? "I thought you were..."

"Dead? Yeah."

---------------

Bob was sitting on the couch again, taking all this in.

Gerard was so happy. He was actually talking to him.

"I met God once... He's a pretty cute kid."

Bob was staring at his hands.

"I think I'm going crazy." Bob said.

"No, you're not. I swear it's me.. Gerard Arthur Way... failed cartoonist, formerly depressed, brother of Michael James Way-Oh my God, Mikey.." Gerard realized he had been wasting time.

Bob looked up.

"What?"

"Mikey... he's in danger." Gerard jumped up. He had to find him.

"Wha- how?" Bob still looked dazed.

"My killer..." Gerard said.

Bob snapped out of it.

"What?!"

Suddenly, Gerard felt a tingling sensation in his arms.

Oh, no... not now..

He felt like he was falling a hundred miles an hour.

---------------

"Gerard?" Bob said.

"Take care of yourself... be careful." His beautiful voice was growing fainter.

"Gee!" Bob said again.

"Please. Whatever you do, look after Mikey." His voice was barely a whisper now. Please.

"Gerard?" Bob said into the air. He waited a moment.

Nothing.

The temperature was normal. He looked around the empty apartment.

He was gone. Bob crumpled up on the couch and let the tears fall down his cheeks.

Gerard.