The *** of Gerard Way

Learning to Fall

Mikey walked into the apartment, carrying the tiny unicorn figure with caution. He didn't want to drop it. He made his way toward the living room. He was looking at the unicorn when he noticed a sniffling sound.

Mikey turned to find Bob curled up on the couch, crying into a pillow. He was shaking.

"B-Bob?" Mikey took a step toward the couch.

Bob shot up.

"Gerard?" He looked around the room and saw Mikey. Bob just groaned and let his head drop on the armrest.

Mikey stared at Bob.

He said his name.

"What's wrong, Bob?" Mikey asked. It was strange seeing Bob cry. He never cried. Not even when he found out Gerard was dead.

Bob shook his head.

"I heard him." His voice was raspy and shaky.

"Who?" Mikey asked, confused.

"He was here and I heard him."

"Who? Who did you hear?" Mikey was scared for a second. What if it was Gerard's killer?

"Gerard. I heard Gerard."

Mikey felt weak at the knees.

"But.." He had suddenly gone numb.

"I-I know." Bob stared at his hands. "But he was here... I felt him... and he spoke to me..."

Mikey stared at Bob. Was this some kind of a sick joke?

"He said... he said to be careful. And to look after you."

Mikey's stomach lurched. He was feeling faint.

"But he's gone now..." A tear fell down Bob's wet cheeks.

Bob's voice sounded muffled and far away. Mikey could feel himself swaying. It was making him sick.

"Are you okay?"

Mikey barely heard Bob's question.

Before he knew it, Mikey felt himself falling. But why was it so slow?

He could see Bob jumping up and running towards him. He heard his distorted voice, but couldn't make out what he was saying. He guessed he was yelling his name.

Mikey's head hit the corner of the coffee table. He tasted blood in his mouth and realized he was biting the insides of his cheeks. His head felt wet, too.

As he slowly fell, the unicorn slipped from his grasp and hit the floor, shattering into a million little pieces.

Gerard was here. That thought echoed in his head as he finally hit the ground.

His head hurt. He could feel his eyes slowly beginning to close. Bob was in front of him, yelling something. Soon, all he could see were shadows, and a tiny, little puddle next to him. He could feel his arm land at his side and a piece of the unicorn stabbing his left wrist. He looked at Bob and mumbled something. He had no idea what he said.

Gerard was here.

And then blackness.