The *** of Gerard Way

Walking at Night Alone

Frank sat in the hospital waiting room, twiddling his thumbs impatiently. A TV blared in the corner of the room. The man's mouth moved, but no sound came out. Ray had put it on mute a while ago.

Frank stared nervously at the soda machine. Mikey had been alone in his room for almost an hour.

Bob sat next to him, apparently deep in thought.

"Bob." Frank said.

Bob sat there, chin in hand, staring at the floor.

"Bob." Frank said a little louder.

Bob's eyebrows were knit together. His jaw hardened for a moment.

"Bob..." Frank said softly.

Bob looked up. He looked at Frank and his face softened.

"Yeah?"

Frank all of a sudden forgot what he was going to say.

"Um... do you have a dollar?"

"Oh.. yeah, I think." Bob had to stand up to get his wallet from his back pocket. He pulled a bill from it and handed it to Frank.

Frank took it and looked at it.

"This is 5 bucks."

"Yeah, I gave my last dollar to Ray." Bob smiled weakly.

Frank looked at the bill again.

"I'll pay you back later."

"Don't worry about it." Bob sighed and sat back down.

Frank gazed at Bob for a moment. He looked so tired. And so aged. His kind eyes were cast down, already back in his mind.

"Bob?" He said sadly.

Bob looked back up at Frank.

"Thank you."

"It's just 5 dollars, Frank."

"No, not thanks for the money.... just... thanks."

Bob gave him a puzzled look.

"Why?"

Frank shrugged. He really didn't know why he said it. It just seemed like the right thing to say. Bob looked so vulnerable right now, when usually, he was the one to listen to you spill your guts out, all the while nodding understandingly.

"I don't really know... I guess... I guess it's because you're a really good guy... and... I love you like a brother... You know?"

Bob looked away.

"Yeah..." He said dully.

Frank stood up and walked over to the vending machines. Their bright glow illuminated the seemingly dark room.

He didn't know whether to grab a Frappuccino and some cookies or a Monster energy drink and a Snickers.

He looked back down at the bill and sighed. He decided to just go to the cafeteria.

"I'm gonna go get a sandwich." Frank said to Bob. "You want anything?"

Bob shook his head, never meeting his gaze.

"'Kay... I'll be right back then."

Frank left the waiting room. The lights above his head hummed. To what tune, Frank didn't know. Death was the more likely option.

He walked down the corridor, unsure of where he was going. He took a left and realized that led to nowhere. He turned around and tried the other hallway.

He ended up at the hospital entrance.

"Ah, fuck it." Frank muttered and walked through the exit.

Outside, he took a big gulp of air. He was glad to be outside. It was almost like the hospital was suffocating him.

Little droplets of rain fell from the dark sky, leaving dark dots on the sidewalk. A flash of lightning lit the hospital parking lot.

He stared out at the cars, all parked neatly in their own little boxes. His eyes scanned every tree, every bush, and every dark shadow.

What he was looking for, he had no idea. He had been feeling paranoid lately.

Another flash of lightning.

Frank froze.

He swore he could feel every drop of blood running through his veins freeze up.

I didn't see it... I didn't see it...

Thunder boomed in the distance.

The rain was coming down harder now.

Frank's eyes stung from not blinking. He closed his eyes and let the darkness
of his eyelids comfort him.

Slowly, he opened his eyes.

The rain was pounding into his skin. It almost hurt. He was positive he was
soaked by now. But for some strange reason, he couldn't move.

Another flash of lightning lit the sky.

There.

In the shadows, Frank swore he saw something move.

His heart beat against the inside of his chest, as if dying to get out.

Dying to get out.

A shiver went down Frank's spine.

Another flash of lighting and a deafening crack of thunder sent Frank running to
his car. He anxiously dug his hands in his pockets, trying to find his keys.

He tried to pretend he didn't see anything.

He pulled the keys out of his pocket.

He also tried to pretend he didn't hear footsteps behind him.

Frank unlocked the car and jumped inside. He slammed the door shut and
locked every door. He sat there for a moment, trying to collect his breath.

He rested his forehead against the wheel and felt his heart pound inside his
chest. He closed his eyes and tried to erase the image from his mind.

There, standing in the corner of the parking lot had been a tall, ominous figure.
Even through the blanket of darkness, Frank had seen the glow of it's skin, white as newly
fallen snow. It's bright, red lips were curled back in a sadistic smile, showing off it's ivory teeth.

Frank could still feel the piercing of it's eyes. The menacing look in them was what had sent him running.

A small hiccup escaped his breath as he started the car. The engine roared to life. He backed out of the parking lot, only stopping when he had to.

Frank looked both ways at the stop sign. He looked back at the hospital.

I'm just gonna get a sandwich.

He turned left and sped away from the hospital, oblivious to three things: One:
He was going way over the speed limit. Two: There was a cop behind him.

And three: Whatever it was that he had seen in the parking lot was now tucked away in the back of his car, bright, red lips curled back, showing off the white glow of it's sharp teeth.