The *** of Gerard Way

Brother.

Mikey sat on a couch, clutching a pillow to his stomach. He stared at the coffee table in front of him. The clock on the wall read 5:00 am. Mikey counted the ticks, over and over again.

"Michael? Michael Way?" A voice broke into his thoughts, making him lose count.

"Mikey." He corrected him without looking up.

"We have a few questions to ask you." The voice said again.

Mikey looked like a sitting duck in the middle of all the commotion. A bunch of guys had shown up at his door as soon as he had gotten back from the hospital. They covered the place with yellow tape and searched the whole place.

Mikey trembled at the memory of the hospital. An unwelcome image of Gerard's lifeless body flashed in his mind. A tear ran down his cheek. Lifeless. He hated that word.

"Micha- Mikey?"

Mikey looked up. A man stood in front of him. His dark mustache moved as he spoke. The light glinted off of his gold-colored badge.

"Yeah?" Mikey's voice came out soft.

"My name is John, and we've predicted the time of death was at around 2:00-"

Mikey jumped up. He didn't know why. The fact that Gerard Arthur Way was dead made him want to run to his room and cry. An empty feeling overcame his heart.

"Are you alright?" John asked. He had an arrogant and superior look on his face. Mikey's jaw tightened.

"Do you think I'm fucking alright?" Mikey said through clenched teeth. "My brother died tonight." Mikey wanted to slap himself for saying that.

"What would you do," Mikey continued, his voice growing quieter. A door slammed in the background. "If you knew that your brother will never walk the earth again? How would you feel if you knew your very own, dear brother would never be able to talk to you again? Or ruffle your hair when your sad? Or beam at you when he's proud of you? Or just grin everytime you do something stupid?" Mikey's fists clenched as the tears ran freely down his cheeks.

"I don't have a brother." John replied curtly. He raised his eyebrow, waiting for Mikey's reaction. Mikey wanted to bash his face in.

"Oh, Johnny boy, you're gonna regret that." He pulled his fist back and got ready to lunge at him.

"No!" Mikey felt two strong hands pull him back. Mikey struggled to get free, but the hands just pulled him back harder.

"Let me go!" Mikey yelled. He turned to see who it was, but couldn't see anything past his tears. He kicked at the person, and for a second, the person let him go.

Mikey lunged at John and tackled him to the ground.

"Mikey!" Someone screamed behind him. Once again, the hands pulled him back, this time dragging him away. Everyone rushed around John.

Mikey's breathing was low and shallow. A sweat had broken out across his face. He let the hands drag him away. He didn't care anymore. He had lost another loved one. Two people he'd only see in his memories and dreams. He felt the room spin around him as everyone's voices became a dull thumping sound. Or maybe it was his heart.

Mikey squeezed his eyes shut.

Somebody laid him down on a bed.

"Mikey."

"Ray?" Mikey opened his eyes. Ray stood in front of him, his face full of concern. He sat up.

"Mikey, what's going on?"

Ray didn't know. Of course he didn't know. It was only 5:00 in the morning. Mikey had expected the world to stop spinning. But everything kept right on going.

"Mikey?"

For the millionth time that night, Mikey tried not to sob out loud.

"I-it's Gerard." Mikey buried his head in his hands. "Gerard... oh, Gerard... why'd you have to go?"

"What?!" Ray stood there, stunned. "What did you just say?"

Mikey sobbed into his hands. He felt snot running down his lip.

"Oh, God, Gerard..." Mikey wailed. His shoulders heaved up and down. "Nonononono."

Ray sat on the bed and wrapped his arms around Mikey. He let his tears fall into Mikey's hair.

Mikey gripped at Ray's t-shirt as he sobbed into his shoulder. He felt like he would fall off the earth if he didn't. Ray's shirt became wet with tears and snot.

Ray just stroked Mikey's hair and cried silently.