The *** of Gerard Way

Alone

Gerard sat on a park bench, pulling at his hair.

"Come on, come on..." He groaned. He slapped himself, hoping to trigger any kind of memory. "Dammit!"

He lifted his head and watched the people walk by without acknowledging him.

I'm fucking dead.

Gerard sighed. He supposed that he should have been a bit sadder, but he wasn't. He always knew he was going to die sooner or later. It had just come sooner than he expected.

An old lady sat down next to Gerard. Of course she didn't see him. Gerard rested his elbows on his knees and looked at the old woman. She was one of those old people that had aged gracefully. He could smell her peppermint handlotion.

He waved at her, even though he knew he was practically invisible.

"Hi," Gerard said.

The woman opened her purse and pulled out a hunk of bread.

"I'm Gerard. Gerard Way... also known as Gee." Gerard introduce
d himself.

He was just playing, now. But every time he got started, he could never stop himself.

The woman tore a bit of bread off and tossed it to a huddle of pigeons.

"That's really nice of you," Gerard said, looking at the birds. They all scattered when she tossed the bread, but came flying back as soon as they realized they were being fed. "You know, my grandmother used to do that."

The old woman smiled and tore off another hunk of bread.

"She's dead now," Gerard sighed. "So am I." He twiddled with his thumbs.

The woman tossed another piece and watched the pigeons fight for it.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Gerard stared thoughtfully at the birds. "We're all just fighting to survive. I'm afraid I realized that too late."

The woman leaned back and closed her eyes intently, as if she could actually hear Gerard.

Gerard thought of Mikey again.

"I have a younger brother." He blurted.

He was surprised at himself. He wasn't the type of person to tell strangers everything about his life.

But, in this case, he figured it was okay.

"His name is Mikey." He continued to talking. "He used to do the stupidest things. Like, he would get in the shower with a radio.." He smiled

"He was so... childish... and child-like..." Gerard smirked. "You know, those words both mean the same thing... we just use them differently. Like childish would mean immature and child-like would mean innocent. It's wierd.
"Anyway, I loved Mikey. With all my heart. Sometimes I'd smack him in the head for doing something stupid, but that's because I would die if he ever got hurt. I wouldn't be able to live with myself."

The old woman stared ahead of her.

"I can't really remember anything either."

Why had he brought that up? Christ, it was like word-vomit.

"All I remember is Mikey.. and Frank, Ray, Bob, my parents... you know, the important things. I just can't remember the night of my death. I heard I was killed."

The woman tossed the last of the bread.

He wanted to stay there forever. Talking to old ladies that smelled like peppermint was probably one of the most nicest things that he could ever experience.

"You know, this is nice." Gerard said. "Talking to you like this. I know you can't hear this, but thanks. It's kind of lonely when you're dead." Gerard looked at the woman.

The woman turned her head and happened to look straight into Gerard's eyes. Her intent face was soft and warm.

Gerard smiled.
The woman stood up, and left.

Gerard watched the woman leave. He was surprised.

It almost looked like she nodded.