The City Is at War

Chapter 2

The bell rings and as I’m walking out of the classroom, Gabe grabs my hand.

“Maybe Patrick hasn’t told you. I rule this school, well the cool parts of it. The point is, I forgive you. You can dump that loser Patrick and hang with us now.”

The smile on Gabe’s face is so arrogant and cocky that Iwant need to punch him, but I don’t.

Instead I say, “Oh my God, Gabe! I can hang out with you now! This is so cool because you’re so hot and popular! But…I can’t stand being in the same room as you.”

Gabe’s smile instantly fades and I pout, “Aw, did I make little Gabe sad?”

“I’m giving you a warning-” he hisses.

“Oh scary.”

Gabe tenses, his friends are laughing. I know I should stop but…

“I am going to destroy you, Serrano!”

“Gabriel, empty threats are so third grade,” I walk away, leaving Gabe to his snickering friends.

I glance at my schedule, chemistry, room 312. Maybe I should have been nicer to Gabe. I’m actually considering apologizing, when Patrick appears at my side. He’s walking with a much taller boy, who I’m told is William Beckett.

“Please tell me you weren’t just talking to Gabe,” Patrick pleads.

William looks pleasantly surprised, but Patrick, well, he looks terrified.

“Relax, Patrick. Why the hell are you so afraid of Gabe anyway?”

“Patrick and Gabe are mortal enemies. The school is divided in two parts. It’s like…Patrick versus Gabe,” William smiles and I give him a skeptical look.

“And Patrick hasn’t lost yet?” I ask.

“Hey! I-” Patrick exclaims.

“C’mon, we have the same history class,” William interrupts, before dragging me away from Patrick.

I sigh in relief when Gabe doesn’t appear, but there’s something else. Some other emotion I can’t quite place.