The City Is at War

Chapter 25

"Bill?" I ask cautiously.

We had all agreed to just get some sleep before school tomorrow.

Who throws a party on a Thursday anyway?

Bill and Patrick had taken spots on the floor, leaving me the bed, but I couldn't sleep. I lay in William's bed staring up at his ceiling, watching the ceiling fan spin. Anything was better than closing my eyes.

Every time I did, I saw Mason's face, angry and cold. He'd tell me that I was worthless and my eyes would snap open, the image too real.

"William?" I try again, a little more urgently.

"What's wrong?" he asks, his head snapping up from the floor.

"I can't sleep," I mutter, realizing how childish I must sound.

"Count sheep," he mutters, laying back down.

"I tried, but when every sheep becomes your father...it doesn't really work out."

William immediately stands up and squeezes into the tiny bed, putting his arm around me.

"Don't let him get to you. You're here with me and he can't hurt you," he murmurs, kissing my forehead.

I bury my head in William's chest and sigh, "he already has."

"I won't let it happen again," he murmurs, pulling me closer.

"Good night Bill," I mutter, ignoring his obviously flawed proclamation.

I was leaving for Mason's wedding in two days; he couldn't protect me there.

"Mom," I whisper into my phone.

It's exactly 7 a.m. and I'm sitting on the floor in William's bathroom. I still haven't told anyone about my plans to go to Mason's wedding. I figured my mom would be the easiest one to tell.

"Sabrina? Where have you been and why are you whispering?!" she yells angrily into the phone.

"I'm at Bill's and Patrick's here too. I just needed to tell you something."

She lets out a loud sigh over the line, "what is it?"

"I want to go to Mason's wedding."

My mom begins giggling and I can vaguely hear deep laughter in the background.

"Stop it Michael," she giggles.

"Did Michael stay over night?" I hiss and she immediately stops laughing.

"Well he.....um...what did you want to tell me?" she asks nervously.

"I'm going to Mason's wedding," I repeat, forgetting to whisper.

Someone knocks on the door three times, "we need to talk, now."

"Mom, I need to go," I mutter, before hanging up and turning the door knob.

I pull the door open and smile weakly at a very annoyed Patrick Stump.

"Hey, Patty," I mumble, standing up.

He crosses his arms, "when were you going to tell me?"

"Before I left. Look, it's not easy to tell your best friends that you're leaving and you don't know when you'll be back," I add, at Patrick's raised eyebrow.

"I know it's hard but, you have to do it," he mutters.

I sigh and pull Patrick into a hug, just as William sleepily walks into the bathroom.

"What's going on?" he asks, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Nothing," I say quickly and Patrick gives me a disappointed look.

I'll tell him eventually.

"I can't believe you made me wear this," I mutter, walking into the school flanked by William and Patrick.

A couple of kids point atmy William's red hoodie and black skinny jeans.

William laughs, "I think you look great."

Patrick doesn't say anything and instead walks off to his first class, shooting me a warning glare.

"What's-" William begins slowly.

"I'm gonna go find Sisky but um... meet me at my house after school," I mutter hastily, already walking towards his locker.

"Who was that girl last night?" I ask cautiously.

Adam barely looks up, "her name's Kate."

"That's not what I meant."

Adam slams his locker door closed, "you were with Bill, so I made a friend."

I roll my eyes, "Bill and I are just-"

"Friends, like me and Kate," he finishes.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I hiss.

"I'm just saying, that we're all really good friends, living in Friendland. Y'know the place, where if you cheat on your boyfriend-"

"I did not cheat on you!"

"It's so fucking obvious, I mean you're wearing his clothes!" Adam yells, before storming off.

Fuck.

"Trouble in paradise?" Gabe murmurs, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

"Fuck off," I hiss, pushing him away and stalking off to English.

I side into my seat next to Victoria and she immediately turns to me.

"I'm so sorry about what I said last night."

"It's fine," I mutter, staring straight ahead.

"What's wrong?" she asks slowly.

"I can't fucking believe Adam. He thinks I'm cheating on him!" I shout, ignoring Mr.Stertz's desperate attempt at teaching.

I wasn't going to be here for much longer anyway.

"Just uh...I'm sorry but when were you going to tell me you were leaving?" she hisses.

Note to self: Never tell Patrick anything.

"Girls!" Mr.Stertz shouts.

"As soon as I told Sisky and Bill," I mumble.

"You haven't told them yet!?" she exclaims.

"I wanted to tell Sisky but we started fighting and-"

"I'll take care of it," Victoria mutters, pulling out her phone.

I turn back to Mr.Stertz and smile, "what no lesson?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I've already written three chapters in the sequel and I have yet to think of a name.
The best I could come up with was You're Still My Favorite Melody. Suggestions?