The City Is at War

Chapter 3

The next two classes fly by without Gabe. Then Patrick and William whisk me off to the lunchroom, where we sit at a relatively large table. The kids at the table treat Patrick like a god, but they completely ignore me.

I nudge Patrick, “You said this would be fun.”

“Huh? Oh, sorry. Guys, this is a Sabrina Serrano,” Patrick says, loud enough for everyone to hear.

Nobody says anything and I sigh.

“Sorry. I guess they’re just antisocial today,” Patrick apologizes.

I turn to William who looks equally annoyed, “they worship him.”

William and I talk amongst ourselves until Gabe appears. He doesn’t come over to us, but he shoots me a glare.

There goes that feeling again.

“This may sound stupid but, do you by any chance like Gabe?” William asks.

“What?! God, no! He’s ugly and arrogant and everything I hate!”

No way, that will never happen.

“Oh, well I just thought…you’ve been um, staring at him and-”

“Never Will. He’s the enemy. Besides, I prefer guys like you.”

“Wha-”

William immediately turns red and I laugh, “Relax, it was just a joke.” William laughs nervously and we forget about Gabe.

Later that Day

“So everyone has to pick sides? For the…Patrick versus Gabe thingy?” I ask William as we walk out of our last class.

“There’s one guy. Jon Walker, but he’s…different. He’s probably gonna pay you a visit,” William says thoughtfully.

“Oh, great, more boys. Look, I have to go to my locker, so I’ll see you later.”

William waves goodbye and I walk to my locker, which happens to be next to Gabe’s. I turn my combination, but Gabe doesn’t say anything.

“The silent treatment is so first grade, Gabe.”

“Fuck you. I can’t even get my friend’s to stop laughing! Just stay the fuck away from me,” he hisses.

I look around and realize that Gabe is by himself. I can tell that this never happens and I immediately feel guilty.

“Gabe, I-”

“Save it.”

Gabe walks off, but not before giving me a nasty look. I’ve been given looks like this before, but this one makes me stop in my tracks. Gabe looks genuinely hurt and angry. I didn’t do that…did I?