The City Is at War

Chapter 28

"So how did Sisky take the news?" Victoria asks, pulling out a couple of coffee mugs.

We had woken up before everyone else and decided to make breakfast.

"He uh...broke up with me, but it's okay. I'll be fine," I say quietly, turning the stove on.

"Sabrina, I can't believe-" Victoria begins, immediately turning to face me.

"I said I was fine. Can we talk about something else?"

"Fine. Uh...how's....Gabe?" she asks, still studying me with concern.

"Why would I... Shit! I can't believe I forgot. I'll be back!" I yell, running out of the house.

15 minutes later

"Hey, Mrs.Saporta, is Gabe here?" I ask breathlessly.

Mrs.Saporta furrows her brow, "is it important? Gabriel is still asleep."

I nod and she sighs before walking back into the house to get him. A couple of minutes later Gabe walks to the door, half asleep.

"I know it's early but...I'm leaving for Boston in a couple of hours and I didn't want to leave without telling you," I say quickly, my words rushing together.

"So, it's too late to stop you from going, huh?" Gabe asks, leaning against the door frame.

"Why would you have done that? Mortal enemies forever right?" I smile weakly and Gabe shakes his head.

"I don't want to be your enemy."

I raise an eyebrow, "archenemies?"

"No," Gabe says quietly, taking a step forward.

"I can't think of anything else but-"

Gabe reaches forward and puts one arm around my waist, before kissing me on the lips. We pull away after a minute, Gabe's hands still loosely wrapped around my waist and I smile.

"Do you wanna come inside?" he asks.

"I uh...I can't! Shit, what time is it?" I ask, frantically.

"Sabrina, calm down."

"What if I miss the flight and he gets mad and kills me!?"

Gabe eventually gets me inside of his house and assures me that I will not die.

"Thanks...for um calming me down," I mutter, kissing Gabe's cheek.

I stand up and Gabe pouts, pulling me back down on his lap.

"Gabe, I'm late."

"Don't forget me okay, 'cause I sure as hell won't forget you," Gabe orders, finally releasing me.

45 minutes later

William and I hold hands until a large security guard tells him he can't go any further. I turn toward my mother, William, Patrick and Victoria and instantly break out into tears.They all squeeze me into one last hug. Nobody speaks, unable to put their emotions into words. I sigh and swallow my ambivalence before hurrying through the metal detectors.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah!! It's the end! I'm sorry if this seems rushed or otherwise badly written but, I completely changed the ending at the last minute.

The sequel will be posted anywhere from October 20th to October 28th.
In the meantime, I will be posting a new William Beckett story (title TBA) so be on the lookout for that!

Also, if you haven't heard What A Catch Donnie, you should listen to it!!