Lips Like Morphine

Old Friends

They didn’t see each other again until the band had piled into the van and set off for the next venue.
Everyone was perfectly normal and even Mat relaxed enough to tease Greg about his hangover. But, he couldn’t help but catch Jonny’s desperate glances and it brought him down again. Luckily, the next venue was only an hour’s drive, but that depended on the freeway traffic.
The guys were planning a shopping trip, as they’d have the afternoon to hang out, but Mat slipped out with a need for freedom.
He just wandered around aimlessly, his head buzzing and starting to fry with thought.
What the hell was he gonna do?!
He eventually found a club that were hosting a couple of tribute bands – The Cure, Depeche Mode and The Smiths.
He went in and the atmosphere was an instant relief to his poor brain. The Smiths tribute began and Mat sat at the bar, and thought of ordering a Dirty Grey Goose Martini.
No Mat, don’t make yourself feel even more gay, he thought and got a Jack and Coke instead.
He needed spirits.
For a few minutes, he just mulled over his drink until…
“RAWR!” Mat jumped out of his skin and swore, causing his attacker to burst into a fit of giggles.
“Zacky Vengeance.” He knew that laugh anywhere.
“Mathew my love, it’s been far too long.” Zacky gave him a full-on hug, then stepped back.
“You remember my little fox Tash?” Tash smiled warmly and gave Mat a less enthusiastic, but equally friendly hug.
“My dear Tash, when will you dump that jerk and runaway with me?”
“Sorry Maty, but he’s forcing me to marry him.”
“No way! That’s awesome!”
More hugs.
“What a tosser. I can’t go interview the band ‘cos that retard club manager reckons my writer’s pass is fake. Just ‘cos it’s English…”
Mat’s attention was now pinned solely on this newcomer. She had short, blonde-ish hair and eyes full of expression.
Zacky said something, but all Mat heard was, “This is Tash’s friend Forest.”