Thank You, Gravity

Sleepy Welcomes

The Following Morning

I wake up from an uncomfortable sleep, without Nick next to me. I slowly stand up and grab the first shirt I find in my drawer, putting it on, it smells like Nick. I was in a real hurry to clean last night, the only dirty things around are my bed, but no one but Nick and I will be in it. I walk out of my room and into the kitchen to see dad and Kevin eating pancakes.

"Morning, you slept late." Dad says when he sees me.

"The two of them are always doing something, they probably went to bed late." Kevin says, hinting but not really saying anything. I glare at him warningly. He would never tell anyone about us. We could do too much to him to make his life a living hell no matter where he lived.

After a few minutes Nick comes out, only in his boxers and not caring we have company.

"Nick, please put something on." Dad asks Nick and he turns around and goes towards my room. He doesn't seem to have had a good night sleep. Neither did I, but unlike me he, wasn't completely hard when he went to bed.

Nick comes back, still no where near awake and sits next to Kevin.

"Nick, wake up!" Kevin yells into Nick's ear when he slowly started to fall asleep at the table. Kevin looked at me like I did something to Nick... or we did things yesterday. Well, we did, but nothing he could prove.

"Okay, well... Nick, go take a shower to wake up and Joe, get dressed. I need to talk to you four." Dad said and I drag Nick into my room, startled by the statement.

--------------------

We all sit down on Joe’s couch, I sit with Frankie on the floor and Nick and Kevin on either side of me. First, Dad starts talking about how he knows how hard this is on the family, and that’s where I stop listening. I rest my head on Nick's shoulder, feeling myself get hard just by his touch.

“So how have you two been doing lately?” the question is mostly directed at me, and I simply nod. “Been taking your insulin, Nick?” He rolls my eyes and nods again. As if he thinks Nick can’t take care of himself after almost six years.

“How long are you going to stay?” I ask distractedly, wanting to just get this over with.

“About a week,” Dad says. “I’m sorry to drop in. but we all split up so quickly, and Frankie was really missing you two. We‘re going back to California afterwards.” I could tell, by the way Frankie was bouncing up and down on my lap, a game we used to always play.

“It’s no trouble,” Nick says, though he’s clearly lying. “Really.” Dad smiles.

“Do you guys have Lucky Charms??” Frankie asks, hopping off my lap and hurrying over to the cupboards. I smiled at Joe amusedly.

“As a matter of fact, we do.” Nick says. He gets up off the couch and opens the cabinet, taking out a large box of Frankie’s favorite cereal. Frankie jumps up and down, taking the beloved box.

“Not a very healthy food selection you have here,” Dad murmurs as he has gotten up and is looking through our cabinets. I rolls my eyes and grumble.

“You and Frankie can stay in Nick’s room,” I ignore his comment and lead Dad through the hallway, into my room.

“What about you?” Dad asks, looking at me.

“We’re sharing a room,” I says, opening the door.

“How are you going to share a room?” Dad kind of grumbles and looks around. He drops Frankie’s bag on the floor. “There’s only one bed.”

“I can sleep on the floor,” Nick volunteers.

“Or the bed’s pretty big. We could just.. Share it?” I counter. Dad gives us a weird look, but he shrugs before going to get his own bags.

“I’m gonna go take a shower,” I mutter, leaving Nick to play with Frankie while Dad examined every inch of Joe’s apartment. I cleanse myself under the water, purposely taking a long time. After a few minutes I hear a knock on the door. Figuring it’s Nick, I call back. “Yeah?”

“Dad and Frankie left to go shopping,” Nick calls through the door. “They’ll be back in a few hours.” That means we were alone, for the only time we would be in a while. I sped up, rinsing my hair out and hurrying out of the shower to meet Nick outside.

----------------------------

Nick and I are lying on his bed, side by side. My arms are on the back of his neck, our lips pressed together and making my body feel like jelly. His knee is pressing into the crotch of my jeans, bringing me totally alive. I don’t know how long we’ve just been laying here in silence, planting kiss after kiss on each other, but it feels like forever.

Drowned in my own thoughts with Nick's arms wrapped around me, I jerk in surprise when I hear our dad call our names. Both of us are shirtless, which would not look normal.

“Fuck!” Nick whispers, shoving me roughly onto the floor. “Get under the bed!” I scramble to roll onto my stomach, sliding myself under the bed. The springs creak above me as Nick hurridly dives under the covers, draping them over the bed on each side so I’m not visible. I hold my breath when I hear his bedroom door open. He starts breathing slowly.

“He’s asleep,” I hear my dad say softly, either to Kevin or Frankie. I don’t move at all, hardly breathing even.

“Don’t wake him up,” I hear Kevin’s voice. The door closes and I hear footsteps going down the hallway. I drag myself out from under the bed, finally letting my breath go, and my sigh turns into a fit of laughter.

“I don’t want to know what the fuck you two were doing.” Kevin shakes his head as Nick starts laughing too.