Thank You, Gravity

Like I Love You

"Nicky...." I get up off the bed, watching him leave the apartment. I try to go over everything in my head that may have made him mad at me.... and I think I know what is is. I jump off the bed and hurry out the door. Nick's angrily stuffing the pass key into the slot. He walks inside and closes the door roughly in my face, but I stop it with my foot just before it closes. "Nickie?" I murmur. He gives no sign or acknowledgment of my presence as he stomps angrily into the bathroom, slamming the door. Luckily, the suite is empty.

"Nick," I knock gently on the door, getting no response. "Nickie!" I try again, calling my pet name for him, hoping to make him loosen up somehow. Still, no response. I hear him turn on the water in the bathroom, and I jiggle the doorknob and knock some more. This time I get a "Fuck off, Joe." Well, it's a start.

"Open the door, Nick," I plead, my jaw quivering as I feel myself start to cry. Had he seen me drunk? That had to be it... I'd promised him. He'd never forgive me for this. God... I'm an idiot!The water turns off, and Nick finally throws open the door. He's staring at me with his arms crossed. His face looks furious but his eyes don't agree.

He breezes past me without a word, then turning to face me.

"What do you want, Joe? You fucking lied to me. How do I know what else you've been lying about?" he spits. So, it was the beer.... No, no! I totally ruined everything!

"Ni.... I.... plee...." I try to say something, but it comes out as helpless sputtering. I squint my eyes shut for a brief second.

"Do you even love me, Joe? Or am I just some kind of toy for you?" he hisses furiously. "If you can't even give up a beer for me.... what the fuck am I doing here?" I swallow, hard, trying to figure out something to say... what could I?

"Nick, just give me another chance, I can explai-" I start to cry, and I know he won't comfort me this time. But he cuts me off.

"Shut up! I'm sick of your fucking explanations! Every goddamn time, it's the same thing! You've just been lying to me so you can get what you want! You can't even give up the smallest thing for me and you can't keep a promise!" he roars hysterically, throwing the nearest thing he can find at me - witch happens to be a book lying on the nightstand by the bed. He's crying freely now, and it's killing me to see him so upset. I don't even care that he's furious at me, I just want to hug him.

"Nickie..." I reach out to touch his shoulder, and he veers back and hurls his fist into my jaw. I squeal in pain and stumble backwards, crying out as I clasp my hand over my chin and mouth, bending over with pain. Nick's never hurt me before.... and he didn't look sorry, either.

"It doesn't bother me that you drank. It bothers me that you promised me you wouldn't anymore. And if you can't even keep a promise like that..." he seethes. He doesn't finish the sentence. I just watch him as he sweeps into the adjoining second suite, slamming the door. I know there's no way of getting him out from behind that door.