Thank You, Gravity

Make it Up To Me

I wake up on Joe’s bed. We hadn’t said anything to each other last night, just enjoyed each other’s company. I open my eyes and look around the room a little - I’m alone. But I voices outside the door, which had woken me up, and I sit up and strain to listen.

“When are you ever going to stop, Joe?” I think the voice is Kevin’s - it sounds sharp and angry. The voices sounded like they were in the kitchen, and I shuffle to the bedroom door to listen.

“Why do you even care, Kevin? You never wanted us together.” Joe snarls.

A sigh. “No, Joe. I didn’t, but that doesn’t matter. You’re still doing what you promised you wouldn’t. How do you think that makes Nick feel? He was crying when he talked to me, Joe, he was crying because of you. He loves you, dammit, and you’ve got a fucked up way of showing your love.” I’m watching them from behind a wall. Joe sits down on the kitchen chair, hands over his eyes. “You’re lucky he came back.” Kevin says.

“I know,” Joe squeaks, looking up. “I keep fucking this up… I’m such an idiot.”

“Yeah, you are.” Kevin states. He sits down next to Joe on the other chair. I shy back behind the wall little and listen. “Look, Joe. You screwed up, everyone does, but now you need to fix it with Nick, and start keeping your promises. He loves you, he’ll forgive you.” Joe looks back up at Kevin. Is he crying? I would forgive him... I had overreacted and hurt Joe, and now...

“I know. C-Can you… leave?” he asks shyly, getting up and nodding towards the hallway. I run silently back into Joe’s room, diving under the covers, and pretend to be asleep again. I hear the front door shut and Joe’s footsteps. I squeeze my eyes tighter when I hear him come into the room, he shakes my shoulder lightly and I open my eyes, looking up at him. “I guess you heard all that," he mutters. "Nick, I’m so sorry…” I sit up. I notice the purple bruise on his jaw that I gave him, and feel a stab of guilt. I had really overreacted. I know how hard it is to stop drinking, and I never gave his actions any thought.

“No, don't be sorry. I shouldn’t have overreacted,” I say, pulling Joe close to me. “I’m sorry I punched you. I shouldn’t have. I wasn’t being fair.”

“It’s okay.” I wrap my arms around Joe’s waist and rest my head on his chest. “I’ll make it up to you.”

“Joe, really, it’s fine.” I say softly.

“No, Nick, it really isn’t,” he insists. “I can’t tell you I’ll never drink again, but Nickie, I really am trying.”

“I love you,” I murmur. Then, looking up at him with a smile on his face. “You want to make it up to me?” I wink.