Thank You, Gravity

Kidnap?

I'd been crying since they left. I was lying on the couch, scarfing down the stash of sugar-free gummy worms and chocolate I had just for Nick. I felt sick, I had finished off two bags of gummys, and I was on to the chocolate. I had spent an hour watching a Japenese game show just because I was too lazy to change the channel.

My face is covered in cheese from the Cheetos, and I've thrown all the trash on the floor. My head aches. My eyes sting. My face is wet. I'm back to living alone and I hate it more than ever. Everything reminds me of Nick - his Organic shampoo that was still sitting in the bathroom, the foods he loved to eat, a sweater he left here. The insulin shot I carried in my pocket for emergencies. My sheets still smelled like him. His room still smelled like him.

The phone interrupted my thoughts and I ignored it until it rang again. Sighing, I rolled over and grabbed the cordless phone off the table, plopping back onto the couch - hanging upside down.

"Hello?" I pray it's Nick. He's the only one I'd want to talk to.

"Hey."

Kevin.

"What do you want?" I growl. I don't mean to sound so mean - but I do.

"Joe, what's wrong?" Kevin notices the upset tone in my voice.

"What do you want?" I repeat, a little softer.

"I was trying to call Dad.... but his cell phone's off..."

"He left. And he took Nick with him." I try not to sob, sitting back upright on the couch. I stare at the TV absently.

"Oh. Joe.... I'm sorry...." Kevin mutters sympathetically.

"Dad knows about us, Kevin! He's going to kill Nick!" I wail, wondering what they're doing right now, what he'd do to Nick now that he probably knew his son was gay. And not just that, but it was incest, too.

"He'll be okay... you'll see him in a few weeks..."

"What if Dad doesn't let him come back?" I finally let that thought into my head. I doubt he'd let Nick be near me again. I would go up to California and get him, bring him back here. I really would. But in some places that would be considered kidnap. Is California one of those places?